Notices

View Poll Results: What's harder
Wrestling BookDesigner 25 59.52%
Wrestling against a Crocodile 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #61
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
That's terrific information, Patricia! Thank you. I apologize if it's all known to everyone else and has already been posted five times before. Much karma upon you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #62
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Check that your BD settings allow the empty lines to be kept (Configuration/settings/keep empty lines)
Well, like.....duh! Must find new glasses/brain.
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #63
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm off on holiday on Monday morning, till the 15th July, but will have a go when I come back. (I'm going to Le Croisic in the Loire Atlantique. I rather doubt whether it is known for wifi hotspots, so don't suppose that I will be online.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, we'll miss you ! have a good holiday. we'll all be here waiting for you when you get back. i'll cross my fingesr that it doesn't rain too much... (you can do the same for me !) if you decide to come inland a bit, look me up !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #65
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm off on holiday on Monday morning, till the 15th July, but will have a go when I come back. (I'm going to Le Croisic in the Loire Atlantique. I rather doubt whether it is known for wifi hotspots, so don't suppose that I will be online.)
~sigh~ [of vicarious pleasure] It sounds beautiful, and the "disconnect" of wifi-absence is like the strawberry on top. Have a wonderful time, Patricia.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #66
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
6. Even worse than HTMLs are TXT files. The classic problem here is text that should be italicized but isn't in ASCII. So the text usually appears like "...as in the classic work _The Gibbons of Algernon_." to indicate what should be The Gibbons of Algernon. To fix that, I use find/replace to locate each underscore and then highlight and italicize the text in BD - manually, again. Is there a simple way to automate that process?
Gutenmark automatically italicizes the following:

* _italicized_
* <i>italicized</i>
* /italicized/
* ~italicized~
* ~~italicized~~
* <italicized>
* *italicized*
* _/italicized/_
* _*italicized*_
* */italicized/*
* _*/italicized/*_
* /:italicized:/
* |:italicized:|
* ITALICIZED

http://www.sandroid.org/GutenMark/
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #67
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
When I convert a book using BD, I have four persistent problems of which three consume a lot of my time and one is just an annoyance:
I've only dabbled in BD thus far, but my question is why you are trying to do everything in BD. Things like killing the "helpful" page numbers PG puts into HTML files, and handling ASCII representations of text attributes like italics in text files might be bettered handled by other tools. I'd preprocess the files to do that stuff before importing to BD.

As mentioned by another poster, GutenMark may be just the thing for the text files. And something like a port of Unix "sed" or other automated search and replace tool that handles regular expressions would be good for the embedded page numbers.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-06-2008 at 01:41 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #68
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I think it's easier to stick to RTF files than use Book Designer.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #69
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amothea View Post
I think it's easier to stick to RTF files than use Book Designer.
And what if you don't happen to have an RTF file?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... or using a device which doesn't support RTF files?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #71
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well after wrestling with BookDesigner this weekend I got to wondering, wrestling Crocodiles can't be much harder?

What do you all think?
May I suggest reviewing Harry T's excellent guide on how to use BookDesigner here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

BookDesigner has served me well for over a year and I'm a mediocre techie at best. I've used it to convert many types of files (i.e. pdf, rtf, doc, lit, txt, and html) with very few problems. No doubt there are minor problems with it but overall I think it an excellent conversion tool.

If you’re having specific problems let us know. I'd be happy to try and help.
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #72
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alternative View Post
May I suggest reviewing Harry T's excellent guide on how to use BookDesigner here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

BookDesigner has served me well for over a year and I'm a mediocre techie at best. I've used it to convert many types of files (i.e. pdf, rtf, doc, lit, txt, and html) with very few problems. No doubt there are minor problems with it but overall I think it an excellent conversion tool.

If you’re having specific problems let us know. I'd be happy to try and help.
Absolutely. I would have been completely lost without Harry's terrific tutorial. But it's intended to get you through the common hurdles to ebook creation and is not a complete guide to resolving all the issues you can encounter, many of which are pretty frustrating.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To make blank lines between paragraphs for LRF eBooks, in the Makes Sony Reader file dialog select the options tab. Then under paragraphs select seperate and there you go. It's best that the book not actually have physical blank lines as this limits what you can do like make an eBook to upload here and then one formatted how you like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #74
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alternative View Post
May I suggest reviewing Harry T's excellent guide on how to use BookDesigner here:
Hi Alternative,
Yes I've read Harry T's guide and I agree it is excellent.

The challenges I came across usually fell outside of the scope of what the guild and BookDesinger where intended for, which is creating novels.

I found that creating simple books in BD is not so bad. Unfortunately most of the books I want to convert contain different formating and many pictures.

Thank you,
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
=X=, can you give us examples of what you want to do that you cannot do?

Most novels (that I know of) would be perfectly OK in Book Designer and then output as LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner, clouds of enlightenment, polls, unutterable silliness