Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is not unique to Kindles. The first time you open an ebook on a Kobo ereader, it opens to the first entry in the table of contents -- not a human readable TOC but toc.ncx or nav.xhtml system TOC. Only if that entry is the cover image will you see the cover.
Well, I guess all the Kobo books I've downloaded from the Kobo bookstore were set to start at the cover because that's what all mine have done. I see what you mean about the Table of Contents, but then, if I step through the Table of Contents, I get to all the standard front material — then start on the first chapter (like in a real book). This is definitely different than the way the Kindle does it.

I like the introductory material, it's how I "get acquainted" with the author and his/her book or book series — especially if the book is the first in a series. I usually even read the copyright notice, I like to know who the publisher is — sometimes it's interesting to see how many editions have been printed, and whether the book has changed publishers over its lifespan.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, I guess all the Kobo books I've downloaded from the Kobo bookstore were set to start at the cover because that's what all mine have done. I see what you mean about the Table of Contents, but then, if I step through the Table of Contents, I get to all the standard front material — then start on the first chapter (like in a real book). This is definitely different than the way the Kindle does it.

I like the introductory material, it's how I "get acquainted" with the author and his/her book or book series — especially if the book is the first in a series. I usually even read the copyright notice, I like to know who the publisher is — sometimes it's interesting to see how many editions have been printed, and whether the book has changed publishers over its lifespan.
I don't mind reading the introductory material the first time I read a book by an author but when you are reading the 7th or 8th book by an author or in a series, you start getting that déjà lu feeling.

One item I will check is the copyright page. Especially for my wife, it may one of the few places to find the author's real name, when the book was written and other interesting tidbits of information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't mind reading the introductory material the first time I read a book by an author but when you are reading the 7th or 8th book by an author or in a series, you start getting that déjà lu feeling.
Yep. I've read a couple series by Koontz and I bypass the most of the front material on books 2-? (however many in the series). Usually the author blurbs are all the same. But I still like flipping through the Table of Contents to see how the book is "built." Some books have something like ten 40 page chapters and others seem to have 70 three to five page chapters. Looking at the TOC kind of gives me a quick overview.

This thing with Kindle is not that big of a deal, if I didn't keep hitting a TOC entry (and ending up somewhere in the middle of the book) when "flipping" back the few pages to get to the cover, it wouldn't really bother me at all. I need to get in the habit of hitting the "Go To" icon and picking "Cover," but (on the New Touch) I always mistake the Home icon for the Go To "icon" and end up kicking myself completely out of the book. (I like the Old Touch's home button and simpler menu better.)

(Yes, I'm getting old.)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I find it irritating that — unlike every other eReader — Kindles do not open new books to the front cover. I always try to back up to the cover (and over the author's dedication, intro etc.) and almost always end up hitting an entry in the Table of Contents that sends me to somewhere in the middle of the book.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like to read an eBook the same way I read a printed book, from the cover in. Why does Amazon assume that their readers will want to ignore all the information that often comes before the first chapter, including the cover?

I know that, in the world of gripes, this is a tiny gripe but I sure would like Amazon to offer the option to "Start at Cover."

I also find it irritating. Life, however is about choices, and this is one reason I prefer reading on my Kobo.

At any rate, Amazon clearly deems those who like to read cover to end as a minority, so it is what it is. I choose not to be irritated by Amazon for my pleasure reading.

For proofreading, and having notes synced to cloud, my Kindle becomes the preferred device. There, my Kobo is a bit more irritating, since it isn't quite as quick at highlighting and doesn't offer cloud sync for non-Kobo books.

There's no one perfect device/ecosystem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
There's no one perfect device/ecosystem.
True. I like the variety myself (which is why I've got so many eReaders). And I am looking at buying more Kobo books so that Amazon doesn't get all my business (when both have the same book). I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Kobo/Walmart.

As for the original complaint ... I had just jumped into the middle of a new book for about the "billionth" time (when trying to back up to the cover) and decided to vent about it. I'm over it now. Although I would still like Amazon to provide the option to "open at cover." (Not holding my breath on that.)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
At any rate, Amazon clearly deems those who like to read cover to end as a minority, so it is what it is. I choose not to be irritated by Amazon for my pleasure reading.
You own a Kindle. Contact Customer Service and ask that at the next update, could they add the option to have the book start at either the front cover or the first page and/or TOC? Two of the things I have requested were eventually incorporated in the Kindle so if enough folks ask about it, then it may happen. I was amazed that they added the bolding, which makes it so much easier to read on a lighted kindle (other than the Voyage which has perfect lighting!). Alas, the bolding doesn't work on some of my side-loaded stuff.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Alas, the bolding doesn't work on some of my side-loaded stuff.

Use Calibre to convert your sideloaded Mobi files to AZW3, then remove the mobi,,, (or, maybe better than removing the original mobi, configure your device preferences so AZW3 is preferred over Mobi. I don't know if it's still the default on new installs, but older Calibre configurations will definitely have mobi as the preferred format for Kindle devices until you change it yourself. You can even take the bold step of removing the check mark on mobi entirely, thereby forcing an automatic conversion to AZW3 when you send to device.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thanks Rashake. I'll have to check that AZW3 works on my older Kindles (Kindle keyboard, Touch). Then I can switch everything to AZW3 instead.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote