Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #631
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscam View Post
Same with me. I am trying to get this through an auction and lost - another guy paid a £1,050 for "buy it now" option. This is just crazy how much people are willing to pay for this, no?

Now expecting my device to be posted to me next week - hope it is all good as others described.
Let us know what you think when you receive your device!

As is common on eBay, prices can be all over the map. There were some good deals at $800 or so. Higher prices will drive devices out of the closets where they sit unused so it is not all bad.

I love my DPT-S1 and don't regret buying it for a minute. As a programmer, I use it every day to make design sketches, take notes while debugging, mark up PDFs of requirements as I implement some feature. The fact that it is easy to erase makes it all the more useful, easier than a pencil, in my opinion. I use Box.com to send and receive documents.

I read somewhere that people remember things better when they write them down with their own hand. College students who take notes by hand do slightly better on tests than those who type up their notes. I do enough typing, I want something that lets me draw and write easily, even if crudely. I tried a tablet but the bright screen was one more display burning my eyes and battery life was not good.

For me, it is a brilliant device. I almost want to buy a backup in case this one dies.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 03-20-2017 at 07:56 AM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #632
uscam
uscam began at the beginning.

Device: DPT S1
Finally got mine two days ago.

Its a nice device - after reading so many articles about how light is it, I actually felt ok when I hold it - not as light as some guys talked lol.

I mainly use it to read pdf and don't really write much so it is very good - the screen is massive - even felt like a bit too big when you read some magazine articles but it is nice.

The box.com - I don't know why but it seems that I have connected successfully to the website and it started to pull some of the documents down and it always stopped at some point and reported it back to me saying something error. Does any of you have the same? Is it because I have two folders in the box.com folder?

Thank you guys
uscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #633
vst
vst began at the beginning.

Device: sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Finally got mine two days ago.
Hi,
can you share where did you get yours? nowadays it seems only avaliable on amazon or ebay.. and it's so goddamn expensive. DPT-S1 the only device that looks premium to me. Other 13" ereaders look like cheap chinese replicas.
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #634
uscam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
Hi,
can you share where did you get yours? nowadays it seems only avaliable on amazon or ebay.. and it's so goddamn expensive. DPT-S1 the only device that looks premium to me. Other 13" ereaders look like cheap chinese replicas.
Got it from Craigslist from US and asked the guy to post it to me to the UK.

Market is crazy: I used to agree price around 800 pounds with a guy in London as well. After a few hours he regretted and sold for 1100 pounds to another guy - it is simply crazy.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #635
vst

Quote:
Got it from Craigslist from US and asked the guy to post it to me to the UK.

Market is crazy: I used to agree price around 800 pounds with a guy in London as well. After a few hours he regretted and sold for 1100 pounds to another guy - it is simply crazy.
Thanks. It's just insane.. as much as I would love to buy one, I'll wait till DPT-S2. Way too much hassle at this point.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #636
uscam

Quote:
Thanks. It's just insane.. as much as I would love to buy one, I'll wait till DPT-S2. Way too much hassle at this point.
Not sure if there is going to be a DPT-S2 tho. You can try the remarkable tablet -smaller 10 inches screen but looks nice - you just need to wait for anther 6 months.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #637
vst

Quote:
Not sure if there is going to be a DPT-S2 tho. You can try the remarkable tablet -smaller 10 inches screen but looks nice - you just need to wait for anther 6 months.
goddamit, I just bought one on ebay. I want to erase from my memory how much I paid for it. I hope I will not regret it
Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #638
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
@vst You will not regret it, I tried several digital paper tablets, I ended up either selling them or giving them as a gift, not the DPT-S1, this one I can't live without, seriously. You will not find something similar in the market, the form factor and the software is way beyond any alternative in the market now.

Keep in mind, while everybody with other models are complaining about how their tablets are crashing, slow, and bad at note taking, you will have nothing but stability and productivity.

I ordered a Remarkable, because I was afraid if something happens to my DPT-S1 I won't be able to replace it, what I like about the Remarkable project is how they working on a productive software for their hardware, not just soldering every single component they can get their hands on and mount it with a buggy outdated Android version. I hope the Sony will keep developing their digital paper solutions, they proved to be useful for me.

Good decision on the DPT-S1, it will pay it investment back, writing this while designing the next step of my project on DPT-S1.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #639
uscam

Quote:
goddamit, I just bought one on ebay. I want to erase from my memory how much I paid for it. I hope I will not regret it
hahaha how much did you pay for it?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #640
vst

Quote:
hahaha how much did you pay for it?
I don't remember jk. but like really a lot, more than prices mentioned here. Thank you guys for your replies. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #641
uscam

Quote:
I don't remember jk. but like really a lot, more than prices mentioned here. Thank you guys for your replies. I really appreciate it.
haha cant be higher than the guy who paid 1050 pounds....
Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #642
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
...the DPT-S1, this one I can't live without, seriously. You will not find something similar in the market, the form factor and the software is way beyond any alternative in the market now.
I wholly agree with this. Knowing that I may not be able to find a replacement, I wouldn't sell mine for $5,000.

I see my DPT-S1 as a tool, not a toy. I remember when the device first came out, comments sections were full of complaints about the price. I always thought that those comparing this device to whatever was on the market at the time was equivalent to my reading a review of a high end nail gun aimed at the professional carpenter and commenting that it was overpriced because I could pick up a $2 hammer at the hardware store that would do the same thing. It's no accident that Sony released this to professionals only on launch.

Quote:
Not sure if there is going to be a DPT-S2 tho.
Sadly, I also agree with this comment. Unless Sony can learn to market this device, I don't see any future products in the line. I don't blame Sony at all - I certainly wouldn't know how to do this.

In my opinion, the primary issue is that using this device requires a degree technological sophistication uncommon in my field. I've been on a pure pdf content base for years, but many in my field simply wouldn't know how to acquire/create content in the pdf format.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:13 AM   #643
uscam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88% View Post
I wholly agree with this. Knowing that I may not be able to find a replacement, I wouldn't sell mine for $5,000.

I see my DPT-S1 as a tool, not a toy. I remember when the device first came out, comments sections were full of complaints about the price. I always thought that those comparing this device to whatever was on the market at the time was equivalent to my reading a review of a high end nail gun aimed at the professional carpenter and commenting that it was overpriced because I could pick up a $2 hammer at the hardware store that would do the same thing. It's no accident that Sony released this to professionals only on launch.

Sadly, I also agree with this comment. Unless Sony can learn to market this device, I don't see any future products in the line. I don't blame Sony at all - I certainly wouldn't know how to do this.

In my opinion, the primary issue is that using this device requires a degree technological sophistication uncommon in my field. I've been on a pure pdf content base for years, but many in my field simply wouldn't know how to acquire/create content in the pdf format.
I think the price for mass market is the killer - Dont give up yet as Sony has been doing market research on new 10" vs. 13.3" device - however, if they compromise the size to 10", it will lose its advantage for pdf reading - i had a 9.7 kindle DX and it is totally different experience when you read pdf on a 13.3" device.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #644
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm don't think that Sony can do better marketing on this, ok, I love the DPT-S1, and I would buy the next iteration of it, but this is because I know it's value and it pays me back my money.

For something like DPT-S1 to become mass production ready it need:

1. higher DPI, even higher than the 226, digital paper needs to hit the 300 DPI at the 13" size

2. Faster refresh rate, with no lag at all

3. easer to replace in case of breakage (price wise)

People need to feel that they have high accuracy responsive paper like experience, to write, draw and read large size books and comics. which the DPT-S1 delivers as best as the technology currently permit.

The market realizes that, and you have a project like Remarkable trying to provide higher dpi and responsiveness.

Not sure how the 10" would work, when I had the 9.7" Onyx, it left me want a little more, the 13" is nice, but I can feel it's size sometime (although it's supper light!), maybe the 10.3" is going to be the right size for a portable device, with the proper software, pages can be zoomed and cropped, I must admit, I do miss all the pdf setup capabilities that the Onyx used to give me, but the Onyx experience is no match to DPT-S1.

Oh well, have a nice weekend everybody
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #645
trugnthu
trugnthu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Sony Digital Paper (DPT-S1) System Update (Updated 03-30-2017)
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DPTS1
trugnthu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf