Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Problem with Barnes and Noble Nook Glowlight Plus on Arch Linu

Having all sorts of problems with the Nook Glowlight Plus and Calibre under Arch Linux using KDE. I plug in the Nook, and i get this error:

Code:
calibre, version 3.29.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to delete (u'Internal storage', u'NOOK', u'metadata.calibre') with error: 2:PTP Layer error 02ff: LIBMTP_Delete_Object(): could not delete object.
2:Error 02ff: PTP I/O Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
    self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 510, in _books
    mainlist = self.device.books(oncard=None, end_session=False)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 285, in books
    self.write_metadata_cache(storage, bl)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 311, in write_metadata_cache
    self.put_calibre_file(storage, 'metadata', stream, size)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
    self.put_file(parent, path[-1], stream, size)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 26, in synchronizer
    return func(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 394, in put_file
    self.delete_file_or_folder(e)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 26, in synchronizer
    return func(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 439, in delete_file_or_folder
    (obj.full_path, self.format_errorstack(errs)))
DeviceError: Failed to delete (u'Internal storage', u'NOOK', u'metadata.calibre') with error: 2:PTP Layer error 02ff: LIBMTP_Delete_Object(): could not delete object.
2:Error 02ff: PTP I/O Error
Calibre seems to work ok on Windows.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Sometimes you have one of those hmmm..... moments.

The Nook USED TO work just fine on Linux. Then it recently stopped. And I took downstairs to the Windows computer and it DID NOT work at first on the Windows machine. And I remember switching ports.

Then I realized what I did. I plugged it into a powered USB hub on the Windows machine.

So, I went through a drawer and pulled out a powered USB hub I had lying around, set it up and plugged it into my Linux laptop.

As soon as I plugged the nook into the hub, Calibre immediately scanned it and let me copy books to it.

So, it appears I figured it out myself.

If you're having nook problems with calibre, plug it into a powered hub.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Redeggs
Redeggs began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 3
I'm having the same issue with a Mac and a new glpus 3.

Here's my error message:
calibre, version 3.29.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'Internal storage', u'NOOK'): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 26, in synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 403, in put_file
DeviceError: Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'Internal storage', u'NOOK'): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

I don't have a powered hub. Is it possible it's a device issue?
Redeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
apastuszak
Evangelist

I would definitely try a powered hub. They're cheap.

I used this one last night to get the nook working:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00DQFGH80
Old 08-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Redeggs

As of now, I have a folder on my nook called "nook." I can load books into it, and they show up on the nook, but calibre says "error communicating with device," with the same error log as before. It also doesn't show the books as present on the device.

I just need to decide if I need to send this nook back or not..if it's a hardware issue or software or calibre or just the usb port...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
Redeggs

Managed to get it to scan the "nook" folder today and so far Calibre and the glowlight are now communicating.