Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #46
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
To me that's one of the many advantages to ebooks, being able to increase (or decrease) the font. Some evenings I'll start out at my usual font size and as the evening wears on the font size increases.

I wear progressive lenses but I'll soon have to move to traditional trifocals because the progressives won't be strong enough.
I tried progressives over a dozen years ago and hated them. Everything with straight lines suddenly had curved lines (I literally couldn't see straight). After a couple of near accidents at work, I replaced them with trifocals.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #47
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Anyone notice as the light intensity drops, the harder it is to read?

I'm 63, so far only need bifocals, but if I'm reading at home with a nice bright light I can get by with a smaller font.

But thanks to kindle font hack, i've got font that is easily readable and i can crank up the size as I need it.
I noticed that 21 years ago when I turned 40. I also noticed my arms had shrunk and were no longer enough. Since it cost too much to have surgery to lengthen my arms (not to mention the pain!), I broke down and got bifocals. I now wear trifocals.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-14-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #48
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I tried progressives over a dozen years ago and hated them. Everything with straight lines suddenly had curved lines (I literally couldn't see straight). After a couple of near accidents at work, I replaced them with trifocals.
OMG I invested 300 quid in varifocals and had t abandon them after a few weeks. They were also positively dangerous for driving !
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #49
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Ebooks will do the same. They'll continue to grow for a while longer, stagnate, and then move up again.
How can this can happen when there are so many people who must read. Maybe we are not the majority but we are a significant market force.

Quote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this topic is the fact that paper books belong to the purchaser to do with as they wish but ebooks belong to the publisher/writer and the purchaser has no rights except to read it as is. Ebooks currently may not be sold, traded or even given away. Until or unless this changes I will still buy and keep pbooks along with ebooks.
By buying both you are the publisher's dream customer. Not exactly an incentive for change.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #50
Book Hub
Book Hub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't imagine why they wouldn't go at least that high. If ereaders go under one hundred dollars they will go mainstream.
Book Hub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #51
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Anyone notice as the light intensity drops, the harder it is to read?
That right there I think is the biggest disadvantage of ebook readers. They're harder to read in either light extreme. If it's too bright or dim, they become too hard to read, whereas a traditional paper book is still easily readable, even under extreme light or very dim light.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote