Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
LG Display the Global #1 in eReader Market by 2012?

http://www.printedelectronicsworld.c...sp?sessionid=1

LG Display thinks they'll be #1 in the eReader market by 2012.

My first thought: "Really???"

That's a pretty bold and cocky prediction, even if they are developing this magical new Electronic Paper Display (EPD) technology. Keyword, developing.

Doesn't mean I don't wanna get my hands on one when they do finally unveil it. Color e-ink should be something

What do you guys think? Too soon to tell?
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Way too soon.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86942

the epaper layer is still eink. They showed the Color display at SID. I spoke with the eink engineer that worked with the display just before the show- he was very impressed with their color. everyone I talked to was impressed with it. I was too but it was good to hear the people involved express it themselves.

they are going into production with color in the 4th quarter.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
they are going into production with color in the 4th quarter.
Sorry Dulin, are you saying that they will have an eInk-ish colour device in production in Q4 2010?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
That's a pretty bold and cocky prediction, even if they are developing this magical new Electronic Paper Display (EPD) technology. Keyword, developing.
Just for reference, EPD is not "electronic paper display". It's "electrophoretic display", and is only one type of electronic paper (albeit, the most common type now).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
m-reader - the LG people at SID said they would be putting their 9.7" color display into production this year. checking my notes and the article I wrote for the-digital-reader.com http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...splay-week-lg/ I see they actually told me in the 3RD quarter this year.

I don't know for certain a device will be produced by years end but I think it could if production start goes well and things with the new iRiver deal go well. there are always growing pains of course.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
m-reader - the LG people at SID said they would be putting their 9.7" color display into production this year. checking my notes and the article I wrote for the-digital-reader.com http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...splay-week-lg/ I see they actually told me in the 3RD quarter this year.

I don't know for certain a device will be produced by years end but I think it could if production start goes well and things with the new iRiver deal go well. there are always growing pains of course.
Nice one, thanks for the link! Fingers crossed
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
[url]
LG Display thinks they'll be #1 in the eReader market by 2012.
Which company doesn't think they will be #1 in their market? That's probably the business plan of most companies.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Thanks for the link Dulin...

I gotta say, the epaper color display does seem pretty neat after seeing your video.

But as we have seen before, the best product doesn't always win. Even cool technology won't help if you can't market effectively. So we shall see.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote