Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
tmb2
tmb2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
calibre organization and sony functions?

i've got a sony prs600 and really like some of the software functions (double clicking a word to get the dictionary is great), notes, etc. but also really like the organizational possibilities of calibre. if i run the sony with calibre software will i lose the other sony functions?
tmb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a little unclear on what you mean by "if i run the sony with calibre software".

Do you want to know if you can use the Sony Library software at the same time as calibre? That's a bad idea, because if the two of them try to update the PRS at once, they'll do Bad Things(tm) to its database.

On the other hand, there's no problem using them both so long as they're not running at the same time. A lot of us do that, though I personally haven't used Sony's weak software much if at all since I got calibre, as I refuse on moral grounds to buy DRM'd books.

If I totally misunderstood your question, please clarify.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
tmb2

thanks for the reply worldwalker. i would like to be able to organize my books and pdf's using calibre but i really like the functionality of double clicking to look up the word in a dictionary, writing notes, listening to music, viewing photos, etc. that are built into the sony software. i've read that only 1 program can run at a time but are the parts i like above part of the basic software (that won't work when i switch to calibre) or are they accessories or add-ons that are on the periphery of the sony reader software? (so i'd be able to access the dictionary while using calibre). if i would need to switch os to os (all or nothing) can this be done without plugging back into the pc; i.e. on the fly? i hope i'm making this clear......
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb2 View Post
i would like to be able to organize my books and pdf's using calibre but i really like the functionality of double clicking to look up the word in a dictionary, writing notes, listening to music, viewing photos, etc. that are built into the sony software.
Calibre has no effect on the operation of your device.

Quote:
i've read that only 1 program can run at a time but are the parts i like above part of the basic software (that won't work when i switch to calibre) or are they accessories or add-ons that are on the periphery of the sony reader software? (so i'd be able to access the dictionary while using calibre).
Calibre is not replacing any functionality on your machine. Calibre is on your computer not something that is downloaded or run from your 600.

If you switch to Calibre to manage your books then make sure that you only use Cailbre (as opposed to the Sony Reader software) to transfer books to your 600. If you use both they will step on each other and tags on your device may suffer.

I believe at this point the only way to extract your notes from your 600 is to use the Sony Reader software. As long as you use the reader software to only extract the notes you should be fine.

Quote:
if i would need to switch os to os (all or nothing) can this be done without plugging back into the pc; i.e. on the fly? i hope i'm making this clear......
Someone with more insight will have to address this question because I have no idea what it is your asking.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
tmb2

aha! thank you for your reply. do i understand it correctly that calibre organizes everything on the pc and then uploads this library to the 600 which then uses its native software to read the files? that would be great as the sony library on my pc is terrible at tagging, etc. i'm sorry i'm not writing very clearly, this is probably one of those things that a minute conversation would fix (but then i wouldn't have access to all the accumulated knowledge of the community!). thanks.
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
aha! thank you for your reply. do i understand it correctly that calibre organizes everything on the pc and then uploads this library to the 600 which then uses its native software to read the files?
That is correct.

Quote:
i'm sorry i'm not writing very clearly, this is probably one of those things that a minute conversation would fix (but then i wouldn't have access to all the accumulated knowledge of the community!).
Your writing is fine. Community and sharing knowledge is what the forum is all about.

Welcome Aboard!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
tmb2

thanks very, very much! now i've just got to get the pc to recognize the 600 and calibre at the same time. i've seen threads on that so it should be easy. thanks again!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I am using Calibre only to organise my books. Make sure that when you attach the reader to the pc you immediately stop the silly Sony eReader or it all gets mixed up again.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
tmb2

thanks katti.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
tmb2: The easiest thing to do is install the Calibre software, add a few books to its library and then plug in the Sony and go from there. I think most things will be relatively obvious if you try it.

As other have mentioned - nothing changes at the Sony Reader end using Calibre. Calibre is just a substitute/replacement for the Sony software that runs on the PC end.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If the sony software is installed you probable want to stop the sony loader deamon which loads the Sony software every time you connect it to the PC.

You can use a free tool from sysinternals called autoruns to remove it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
tmb2

just got it to work and it's great! it didn't load the meta data until i updated to the newest version but then it snapped and i can see why people really like calibre. great stuff, thanks to all that have helped me get up and running!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
tmb2

forgot to mention.... rather than do anything even remotely complicated i just renamed the sony launch program so it dead-ends and lets calibre do it's job.

Tags
calibre, software integration, sony 600