Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
jvolbrecht
Connoisseur
jvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch KBN905C
Finally, the Touch was replaced by the seller. The first thing I made ​​was a backup of the μSD card.
I erased the serial number and put "zeros" instead.
I have two backups: a "normal" with the original serial number for my personal use and a "virgin" without serial numbers to help those who were stuck like me.

I said that my Kobo Touch is the model:

FCC ID: NOIKBN905C
IC: 8857A-KBN905C
MODEL: N905C

(translated by Google translation)

Jacques
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Grunge
Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks to Jacques!
I got my Kobo running again with his virgin Image.

it worked like this, make a backup of your kobo sdcard in linux with dd.
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/home/youruser/backup.img

in the image you will find with a hex editor in offset 200 (before any partition starts)
the serialnumber of your kobo. copy this.

If you have the virgin image from jacques, insert your serialnumber in his image.
write the image to your sdcard
dd if=/home/youruser/new_with_serial.img of=/dev/sdX

voila all fine again.
if you use windows, you can use this software (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/) to read and write the image.
Greetings
Grunge
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
jvolbrecht
Connoisseur
jvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of lightjvolbrecht is a glorious beacon of light

My PC is running Windows XP SP3. For the disk image, I used the free software:

USB Image Tool 1.61
COPYRIGHT 2006-2013 Alexander Beug
http://www.alexpage.de

And edit disk image:

Free Hex Editor Neo
by HHD Software Ltd..
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor

Good luck and good reading with your Kobo!

Jacques
Old 05-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
brusciatu
brusciatu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolbrecht View Post
Finally, the Touch was replaced by the seller. The first thing I made ​​was a backup of the μSD card.
I erased the serial number and put "zeros" instead.
I have two backups: a "normal" with the original serial number for my personal use and a "virgin" without serial numbers to help those who were stuck like me.

I said that my Kobo Touch is the model:

(translated by Google translation)

Jacques
Hi jacques,

can i ask you the favor to give me the virgin image?

my kobo i stuck at the "restoring" state after an update and no resets have worked so far.

I had the same kobo touch model FCC id, IC and model as yours.

How can i change the serial to match mine after sd image restore?

Thanks for any reply.

P.S. I've seen how to edit the Serial Number in the reply post.Ah,rushness...

Last edited by brusciatu; 05-19-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
jvolbrecht
Connoisseur

I'll send you a private message. :-)
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
brusciatu
brusciatu began at the beginning.

it worked like a charm.Thanks!

Last edited by brusciatu; 05-20-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: I have resolved...
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
(Overcome by events.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #23
TonyRob
TonyRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Ok, I thought the SD card version started with the N905C. But it means you are in luck. I have my mother-in-laws Touch here. It is also N905B. It has a broken screen but I have done a factory reset and taken an image of the card.

I'll upload it and send you a PM with the link. The zipped image is about 630MB, so it will take a while. If something happens that I can't upload it, I'll do it at work tomorrow when I'm about two metres from the server.
Hi David - I am also struggling with a N905B model which I stupidly interrupted during an update and now I just have a blank screen!

I've tried resetting with the hole in the back but no joy - the LED flashes a couple of times and the screen darkens but then goes back to paperwhite.

I know nothing about LINUX so I think my only hope is to write a fresh image to the internal sd card (which I suspect is damaged because when I try and make a backup from it progress fails at 30%).

Do you still have the N905B image and if so could you please provide me with a link to it?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRob View Post
I've tried resetting with the hole in the back but no joy - the LED flashes a couple of times and the screen darkens but then goes back to paperwhite.
You should rather try a factory reset. You can find an instruction here. This will restore your system partition. The pin hole reset only restarts the system.

Last edited by tshering; 05-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
TonyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You should rather try a factory reset. You can find an instruction here. This will restore your system partition. The pin hole reset only restarts the system.
Thanks - I've followed the instructions you linked to and the LED lit up red for a moment and is now flashing green - do I just leave it flashing? The display is still blank.

As I said before I think the internal SD card is corrupted as when I try and back it up the progress stalls at 30% - I think a fresh image on a new SD card is only option for my Touch.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
If the factory reset did not help (restroring however might need some time) you might really need a new sd with a fresh image.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
jvolbrecht
Connoisseur

Unfortunately, I can't help you. My Kobo Touch is :

Good luck :-)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
TonyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolbrecht View Post
Unfortunately, I can't help you. My Kobo Touch is :

Good luck :-)
Cheers Jacques - unfortunately mine is definely the "B" version;

FCC ID: NOIKBN905B
IC: 8857A-KBN905B
MODEL: N905B

The only way I could stop the green flashing LED was to hold the power slide across for a few seconds until it went out - still stuck with a blank screen.

I do still have the original box with the serial number on it, so if anyone has made a back-up copy of the internal SD card from their N905B but is not comfortable setting the serial number to zero don't worry - I promise I'll change it to mine!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@TonyRob: The instructions tshering pointed to usually work. One reason they don't is not holding the power switch long enough to turn it off. There is an alternate factory reset procedure. Again, hold the power switch in the off position for at least 15 seconds. The hold the home button down and push something into the reset hole at the back. Keep the holding the home button down until the LEDs start to flash.

And in case it fails, I do have an image for a Touch N905B. I'll PM you the link.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
TonyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@TonyRob: The instructions tshering pointed to usually work. One reason they don't is not holding the power switch long enough to turn it off. There is an alternate factory reset procedure. Again, hold the power switch in the off position for at least 15 seconds. The hold the home button down and push something into the reset hole at the back. Keep the holding the home button down until the LEDs start to flash.

And in case it fails, I do have an image for a Touch N905B. I'll PM you the link.
David - thanks for the advice and the link. I tried the reset procedure you suggested but still no joy so I downloaded your image file, changed the serial number to mine, wrote it to a new 2GB SD card and I've never been so delighted to see that smiley square face!

Thank you so much - you're a life saver!

Closed Thread