Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I know this is for mostly new android devices that only support mtp. But would have loved to have been able to use it with my Nook Touch but that is android 2.1 if I recall correctly.
Our problem is that Android earlier than 2.3 lacks some networking features we use to support automatic connection to calibre (mDNS/zeroconf/bonjour). We can work around the missing features and will do so if there is sufficient demand, but not in time for the beta test.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #47
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Sold!

My Nexus 7 arrives tomorrow just in time for your beta release.
I was thinking of you when I decided to add sony-like collection management.
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I was thinking of you when I decided to add sony-like collection management.
It is a feature that I value in my Sony devices and I'm glad to see it in this app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #49
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
  • One destination folder. Book format routing will come ASAP
Can the folder be user-specified to the external sdcard?
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #50
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Can the folder be user-specified to the external sdcard?
The path can be set to any folder visible on your device to a program with "sdcard" permissions.

My guess is that you are worried about how Jellybean combines together the multiple "sdcardN" paths into what appears to be a single virtual "sdcard". We expect to deal with this problem, but it might take an update or two to get it right.
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #51
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
The path can be set to any folder visible on your device to a program with "sdcard" permissions.

My guess is that you are worried about how Jellybean combines together the multiple "sdcardN" paths into what appears to be a single virtual "sdcard". We expect to deal with this problem, but it might take an update or two to get it right.
Thanks, Chaley.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Feature set looks great. I will test it out as soon as the beta is posted.

How do you want to handle beta feedback? Thru this forum or directly thru email?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #53
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
How do you want to handle beta feedback? Thru this forum or directly thru email?
Whatever is most convenient for users -- email (we will supply an address), forum posts, or forum PMs. My son has mentioned putting some feedback mechanism into the app itself, but I don't know if he will have that done in time for the test.

The only place we would rather avoid for the moment is the comments section/ratings on Google Play. We know there will be problems and would rather that the ratings record start after we have had a chance to deal with them.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #54
FlareHeart
FlareHeart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch and Nexus 7
I would adore being in the Beta test as well! I've been hunting for days for a way to sync my library on my Nexus 7 with Calibre in an easier fashion. Is there somewhere I need to apply for the Beta?
FlareHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #55
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareHeart View Post
Is there somewhere I need to apply for the Beta?
No application needed. Now that you have posted here, you will be automatically notified as soon as the app is available. It is looking like it will be on Friday after the next calibre release (which it requires), but circumstances might plot against us.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #56
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Screenshots

Here are 4 screenshots from the app taken on my Galaxy Nexus. Standard warning: details might change, but I don't think they will change by much.

1: Books sorted by title. This is the initial view when starting the app.
Click image for larger version

Name:	titles_view1.png
Views:	313
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	90326

2: Book sorted by author

Name:	authors_view1.png
Views:	327
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	90323

3: Transferring from calibre. There are two progress bars, one for where the app is in the series of books, the other for the book being transferred. The author is visible in the book progress bar because that book's title contains the author's name.

Name:	syncing1.png
Views:	316
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	90325

4: Grouping. The display behind the menu is grouped by author. If you tap on a letter line you will see a list of authors beginning with that letter. Tapping on an author takes you to books. Tapping "User Categories" takes you to the list of sony-style collections. This item does not display if no collections are defined, which is the default. The two items at the end are lookup keys for custom columns I chose to use for grouping.

Name:	group_by_authors1.png
Views:	311
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	90324
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #57
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here are 4 screenshots from the app taken on my Galaxy Nexus. Standard warning: details might change, but I don't think they will change by much.
Looking good.

Any chance of being able to have series info appended to the author line? I attached an example of what I'm talking about. This way all of an author's books will automatically be grouped and sorted by series and non-series.

Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-8-8.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	90327  
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #58
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Any chance of being able to have series info appended to the author line? I attached an example of what I'm talking about. This way all of an author's books will automatically be grouped and sorted by series and non-series.

Just a thought.
Not for the beta. We are considering adding the series info to the book line, but it won't affect the sort.

We need to look at how the device_db plugboard might interact with this app, which I am sure you are using with your Sony to get the list you display. The device db plugboard isn't a natural fit because we need to maintain the original metadata for calibre book matching. If we do add the series then you could get much of what you want by creating a collection based on author and sorted by author+series. When looking at that collection you would see (for example) Heinlein's books in series order instead of title order.

Thought is needed...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
If we do add the series then you could get much of what you want by creating a collection based on author and sorted by author+series. When looking at that collection you would see (for example) Heinlein's books in series order instead of title order.
This feature set would certainly do quite nicely too.

I've had my Nexus 7 for almost a day and is is almost not entirely foreign to me. Since my cell phone needs have been basic this is my first full featured android touch device. Looking forward to purchasing your app and giving it a whirl.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #60
stagfighter
stagfighter began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
I'm looking forward to the release of your app

Quote:
No application needed. Now that you have posted here, you will be automatically notified as soon as the app is available. It is looking like it will be on Friday after the next calibre release (which it requires), but circumstances might plot against us.
Please include myself in this too, and thanks a lot.
stagfighter is offline   Reply With Quote