Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook
Kobo Touch Internal Memory

So, I was reading an earlier thread about upgrading the internal memory for the kobo touch. I prepared the SD card I want to use and everything, but I don't like to take thingss apart until I know everything. In all of the examinations and explanations of upgrading, one single thing was forgotten.

Where, exactly, is the internal memory stored on the kobo? I've not seen a diagram or anything.
NightStar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I pulled mine apart almost completely(1), and there isn't an internal SD card slot(2). There are a couple of chips soldered on board that appear to be memory (probably 1 RAM and 1 flash), but I didn't feel like squinting that hard to read the low contrast text.

(1) I didn't pull the screen off of the frame because that would break the screen. But there isn't any space to tuck an SD card behind the screen, and it would be a dubious place to put it from an engineering and manufacturing perspective.

(2) It is a revision 3 board. Perhaps there are earlier boards that did have an SD slot?

Last edited by BWinmill; 07-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I know someone took apart their old Kobo WiFi that died and mentioned they found inside a micro SD card being used but I haven't heard the same for the Touch. You can find the thread here
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Here's a blog post with links to pdfs of photos of the inside of the Kobo Touch.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...he-kobo-touch/
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The Touch doesn't use an internal SD card, it uses a real memory chip.

So... in order to upgrade the internal memory, you're going to need a Surface Mount Reqork soldering station, and a compatible memory chip (of a larger capacity), if one exists.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook
Oh! Good, lucky I found that out before I did anything. Well, the programming experience was worthwhile.
NightStar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStar76 View Post
Oh! Good, lucky I found that out before I did anything. Well, the programming experience was worthwhile.
Out of curiosity, what type of programming were you doing?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
tonyv
tonyv began at the beginning.

Device: elonex eb600
Hi
My Kobo touch (bought around may 2012) has an internal micro sd card and also uses imx.507 rather than imx.508 diff seems to be no openvg acceleration for 507.

Tony
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv View Post
Hi
My Kobo touch (bought around may 2012) has an internal micro sd card and also uses imx.507 rather than imx.508 diff seems to be no openvg acceleration for 507.
Tony
The specs for KT to be launched in Japan lists iMX507 as the processor while the information on Kobo website still lists it as iMX508. Other than the lack of 2D acceleration, there appears to be no difference between the processors. Its possible that all recently manufactured units have moved over to 507s...

As for the internal micro SD slot... is this in addition to the standard one onboard?
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote