Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
jonjamesd
jonjamesd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Video Issues

Hello!

I received my Vox yesterday and have really enjoyed using it.

However, I am disappointed to find out that YouTube does not play videos whatsoever. I realize that there has been discussion here about this previously. Also, I installed the NHL Gamecenter app and videos do not play there either. I was optimistic that both Youtube and NHL Gamecenter wouldn't provide any problems since the CEO in the interview with GoodEReader played hockey highlights with ease. I have read that others have my problems while some can actually view videos. This is a major problem as I purchased this mainly because of the ability to view videos.

Does anyone have any information or solutions about this?

By the way, I downloaded an app called "Freedi Youtube Downloader" which has allowed me to watch videos through YouTube. Still, it would be nice if the pre-installed YouTube app worked.
jonjamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
jonjamesd
jonjamesd began at the beginning.

I fixed the YouTube issue for myself. I downloaded the very nice Dolphin browser which may or may not have made the difference. I found that I needed to logout of my YouTube account in order to have videos work too. Strange, but true.

Now, to figure out the NHL Gamecenter video/audio issue.
jonjamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I am using Dolphin HD and I've installed the latest Flash player apk and I've had no issues with playing any sort of video. I'm not sure if it's an issue affecting only certain units or if it has to do with installed software, but I'd try installing flash and using a different browser than the stock one.

Goodereader.com has a link to the flash player on their list of essential Vox apps.

As a semi on-topic note; I rather prefer using the VLC media player app for video playback. You can grab that here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1275241

You'll want to download the NEON version since the Vox has neon support.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I played a TED video with absolutely no problem at all on the TED site. the same video on YouTube played but was too laggy to actually watch on YouTube (with Flash installed and in Dolphin).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Could it be that the original file was still cached? There's a plugin for Dolphin that lets you kill all other apps to increase the resources that Dolphin can use, maybe try that?

I tried watching some TED videos myself as you described but both ways seemed to work the same. When I was not using fullscreen it was ever-so-slightly lagging, once I opened it in fullscreen it played back smoothly, though.

This was with the video set to 480p. Maybe the videos you were watching were set to a higher res by default?
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran the TED video first, full screen. It was fine. It was this one: http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown...erability.html

I ran it on YouTube later--and if it was a caching issue, this experience would have been the better one.

The video, btw, is one of my all time favourite TED talks. I use it with my students.

More: I converted the YouTube file to MP4 and it played flawlessly on Meridian.

Last edited by taming; 11-04-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: More
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Taming how did you convert it? Has anyone got Netflix to work?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I converted the file on my desktop. I then put it in my dropbox folder and opened the file using Meridian. I use Freecorder for this (warning, it will change your homepage on FireFox when you install it--but you can change it back). I normally use Chrome, but I keep FF around .
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

I HATE FF on Vox. Best browser is??
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I don't use FF on Vox. I use Dolphin or Opera--there are security issues at the moment with Dolphin, but I actually prefer it to Opera.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
The 'security issue' with Dolphin HD being that it harvests your URLs and browser clicks in order to serve up crappy "WebZine" versions (supposedly optimized for phones/tablets) of around 300 sites (as opposed to, say, keeping a copy of the list with the browser's files and checking with that).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Apparently the "webzine" feature has been disabled. Not sure if it ever affected 7.0.2 which is the version released about 5 days ago.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
taming: Dolphin said it was fixed in 7.0.2, but you can't get 7.0.2 from GetJar.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I got it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dpey101k0exymdd already. It's very good--I had been having browser failures before this version.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I don't need it - I have 7.0.2 on my phone, but I'm rocking Opera Mobile more due to the better tablet resolution support. That, and the Dolphin Adblock plugin never worked right.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote