Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
JonDeus
HackJOB
JonDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad, Android(Epic), PC.
Epub with full page graphics only zooming issue

Hi,
I am working on a graphics( text as image) only epub for Nook Color and are having issues with the NC OS not supporting zoom/pinch zoom for epubs.

Right now it seems if you don't shrink your image to within the 600x900 pixel size anything over that gets cut off.

I have done tests with lind graphics to see how NC handles images and test a 618px width x 800px height.
If you use centering alignment code in your xhtml/css then the nook loads the epub with 9 pixels on the left and right off screen.
You can do the " width: 100%; " in your code, but then it will stretch the 618 to fit within the 600px screen. I didn't want this.

Has anyone figured out a way to override the Nook Color OS with code so you can pinch-zoom or enlarge your image?

I have read places that Magazine books with full page images you can zoom in on are one the NC, but are these epubs?

thanks to anyone in advance for helping.

JonDeus
JonDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeus View Post
I have read places that Magazine books with full page images you can zoom in on are one the NC, but are these epubs?

JonDeus
According to the PCWorld review of the Color Nook: "The magazines start with a PDF, reproducing the visual and graphical layouts that make magazines what they are. The company then does an extra layer of production on top of the PDF, to allow you to zoom in to PDF to read a page, or select an article view option for viewing articles in a column that pops up in the center of the screen."

So, according to that you need to make your graphic book into a PDF, not an epub. I am not familiar with how the Color Nook handles PDFs, but that would be a start. That "extra layer" mentioned by PCWorld sounds pretty strange, but maybe standard PDFs allow zooming in and out?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Stupid is as stupid does!

That is undoubtedly one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard. You create and use ePubs because they are great at reflowing text. You create images of text and put them in a file if you are totally dumb. With reflowable text in an ePub you have absolutely no need for pinch and zoom because you can simply increase the font size.

If you are going to create crap, then put it in a crappy format--PDF. Otherwise scan, use OCR to pull out the text, and make a true ebook. Or better still, start out with text and convert it to an ePub.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
JonDeus
HackJOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

That is undoubtedly one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard. You create and use ePubs because they are great at reflowing text. You create images of text and put them in a file if you are totally dumb. With reflowable text in an ePub you have absolutely no need for pinch and zoom because you can simply increase the font size.

If you are going to create crap, then put it in a crappy format--PDF. Otherwise scan, use OCR to pull out the text, and make a true ebook. Or better still, start out with text and convert it to an ePub.
Wow....I hope you were able to sleep after such professional conduct like this above. I thought this was a real place for people to find answers and not a " I hate my life so much i am going to try and verbally attack a poster so i can feel like i have power and intellect!"

Let me educate you for a moment as to why the TEXT is part of the IMAGE.
If you ever tried to make a lets say comic or graphic novel you CAN NOT have the words as adjustable TEXT due to the fact that if a reader decides to up the fonts size your nicely organized text within your WORD BUBBLE is now everywhere and living the high-life all over your pages. So this is why the text would be part of the Images, and at 169ppi and 7point type, you can read the text just fine.
Now if you have figure a way to fix this issue, then I will be glad to discuss
it with you and call you a coding GOD. but the odds of that happening, and i am basing this on your response above, is that i won't have to be calling you anything.
Also,
Some of us here seem to be pushing the limits to formats and breaking outside the boundaries someone like you safely resides within.

Thank you again for your commit about my IQ and thought process.
It inspires me more to continue the path i am on, and not jump to conclusions.

For a bit of character advancement:
You might in the future ask why someone would want to make the text as part of the image, you could learn something you don't know, because if you did know that you wouldn't have post STUPID is as STUPID DOES!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I guess you didn't pick up on the fact that he specifically said in his original post that most of his epub consists of images, not text. Otherwise you presumably would have controlled your flame level.

As he says, he is using graphics for a reason. So the suggestion to use OCR on his images is pretty bizarre.
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have to say that I really don't think ePub is the way to go for things like that. PDF's probably your best bet on a stock NC, but even that's less than perfect.

My own suggestion would be to root your NC and then install ACV (Droid Comics Viewer). Then build your books in CBZ format - which is basically a collection of images in a renamed Zip - and use that. You can use larger images and the NC will automatically resize them to fit the screen - and lets you pinch to zoom.

That would be my suggestion.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
JonDeus
HackJOB

I wish it was that simply. I had PDFs already at larger resolution, but the catch here is that
Barnes and Noble only except epub through Pubit, so that is why i am doing the epub.
I have tweaked the work and is totally readable and look very good on nook. I am using
the Nook color against itself so I don't have any issues anymore with having to zoom.
Since i am developing a graphic novel, i can't root the nook color. Samsung Tab i will get also just to check out ACV on it.
thanks for info though Lemurion.

if all goes well, the 103 full painted pages will be available for download through NookBooks first week of March.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeus View Post
I wish it was that simply. I had PDFs already at larger resolution, but the catch here is that
Barnes and Noble only except epub through Pubit, so that is why i am doing the epub.
I have tweaked the work and is totally readable and look very good on nook.
Yes, if you have to go epub, I should think you could edit your images (split them in half, etc) to fit the screen nicely. You could even have them display in landscape format, etc. Is that what you did? It would mean more work, of course, but you could make it look good even in a epub, I should think.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
JonDeus
HackJOB

We are doing protrait, but at 169ppi and 842h x 650w the text is all legible and the pages look great to me, and i am my worst critic.

I think our book will change the epub experience. I hope!

take care,

JonDeus
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
kenskier
kenskier began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hello, JonDeus--

Just came across this thread from a few weeks ago. I know you were struggling with the limitations of ePub (no pinch to zoom.) You wrote:

>We are doing protrait, but at 169ppi and 842h x 650w the text is all legible and the pages look great to me, and i am my worst critic.

>I think our book will change the epub experience. I hope!

I know what a challenge it is to make a visual book look good in ePub format--but it sounds like you solved the technical issues. Congrats! Have you published your epub yet?

--Ken Skier
runwithKen.com
kenskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Personally for maps, pictures and other illustrations that often show up in books I would love epub and the nookColor to support pinch zoom of images embedded in an EPUB.

It would help compensate for bad epub conversions (see Patricia Brigg's latest novel River Marked) and basically all the maps ever embedded in epub format. The first time I saw a map I could read in epub was in The wise Man's Fear, note that the maps in The Name of the Wind are much smaller and would benefit from some form of zoom in epub.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, full page image, graphics, nook color, zooming