Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
Trying to combine multiple libraries on new pc

Ok...

This post is mainly making sure I am not about to destroy my library

I have a new laptop that I have decided to use as my main "book" library. I want to use my 3 libraries that I have across 2 pc's as just one big one on the laptop.

This is my idea:
Burn library folders to dvd, making sure to include metadata.db in each one.
Install calibre on laptop
tell calibre to import files from each library

BUT... would it be better to save the format I need to a single directory for each library and import them from the single directory that way?

Basically I just don't want to break a few years worth of work on the libraries I have. I already have to convert about 4000 books because I just found the "Use metadata as first page" option and I don't want to make more work for myself than needed.

So... best options on doing this?

Thanks!
Chris
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post
I want to use my 3 libraries that I have across 2 pc's as just one big one on the laptop.

So... best options on doing this?
Use the Copy to Library to highlight all books and then Copy books from smaller libraries into the largest one. Note that if you have the autosort/automerge option on (In Import/Export|Add Books) it will merge books that have the same author/title, so turn this on/off as you wish.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you want to be ultra cautious, create a new library, then copy all the other librararies to it. That way, if something should go wrong, you will still have the original libraries still in place. Once you are satisfied that the transfer went well, you can delete the old libraries.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ok...

This post is mainly making sure I am not about to destroy my library

I have a new laptop that I have decided to use as my main "book" library. I want to use my 3 libraries that I have across 2 pc's as just one big one on the laptop.

This is my idea:
Burn library folders to dvd, making sure to include metadata.db in each one.

Thanks!
Chris
When you burn to DVD, all files get set Read only
This is great for backup, but you might want to use a flash drive for the actual transfer.

Even faster, Shutdown Calibre (it is single use) on your PC, Share (temporarily) the folder that contains your library Folder,
Connect from your laptop to the shared folder, Now have Calibre copy that Library to a Local one.
Un-mount, un-share.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
hydin
Connoisseur

Ok... getting an error when I go to copy books saying either the database is full or the disk is full. (in calibre with the copy to library feature, using .7.20 )

I have 20 gigs open on the main library drive, and 9 gigs on the other drive...

Is it because I am trying to copy too many over at one time, or is there an upper limit to how many books you can put into a library?

Chris
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok... getting an error when I go to copy books saying either the database is full or the disk is full. (in calibre with the copy to library feature, using .7.20 )

I have 20 gigs open on the main library drive, and 9 gigs on the other drive...

Is it because I am trying to copy too many over at one time, or is there an upper limit to how many books you can put into a library?

Chris
Did you check (and maybe change) the file and folder properties to be Read and WRITE (and Create on some file systems) if you copied the original from CD/DVD. Any Read-only will block making a new folder or updating existing info.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
When you burn to DVD, all files get set Read only
Very true. Archiving files using winrar or something similiar is a good method for transfering and having a DVD backup at the same time.
Alternatively in Windows systems you can right click on the calibre directory after copying to hard drive from DVD, click properties and uncheck the read only box or check/uncheck if it is indeterminate then click apply
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
hydin
Connoisseur

Just moving em over 50 at a time now and it seems to work ok so far.

I am still doing this on the hard drive of the original pc's, so there isn't any read only access going on. I am trying to get 2 libraries on one pc merged, and then I will take that one and merge it with the big library on another pc, and then burn that one to dvd (and share the directory) to create THE ULTIMATE LIBRARY on the laptop

Christ I gotta lot of books...

Chris
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If you want to be ultra cautious, create a new library, then copy all the other librararies to it. That way, if something should go wrong, you will still have the original libraries still in place. Once you are satisfied that the transfer went well, you can delete the old libraries.
This is what I did. Since serving multiple libraries isn't possible, and I have disk space to burn, I combined all my genre libraries into one for the server...but still kept the genre libraries. Yes, I am OCD..... no comments from the peanut gallery please, LOL.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
This is what I did. Since serving multiple libraries isn't possible, and I have disk space to burn, I combined all my genre libraries into one for the server...but still kept the genre libraries. Yes, I am OCD..... no comments from the peanut gallery please, LOL.
OCD? More like cautious, responsible file management. I wonder how many people here even know where the term peanut gallery came from (no fair googling).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OCD? More like cautious, responsible file management. I wonder how many people here even know where the term peanut gallery came from (no fair googling).
Howdy Doody to you, Bufalow Bob
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Thanks, Jeannie. I know that some people think the whole multiple library thing is going too far, but I have to say I really like my setup. Sorting on tags just doesn't do it for me - I like my separate genre libraries, but I also love the outside access the calibre server gives me...so since I have the space, I use it. So far I haven't run into any problems, I just have an extra click to "copy the book to library..." when I add something to one of the genre libraries.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote