Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #2956
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The 75% off codes from Kobo combined with a backlist of Baen titles I wanted led me to a July total of 23 books for $43.06. But they are all ones I really wanted, except perhaps for two from the Humble Bundle which were essentially free with the two I definitely wanted.

So a little over budget this month, and still $47.61 over budget for the year so far.
The Humble Bundle was probably my biggest error this month. There are a few books in it I'm sure I will like, and one or two I wanted for box-ticking reasons (ie. they were award-winners, or some such) but there was nothing that I definitely wanted, and that's exactly the sort of thing I should not be falling for.

I already had Healer's War, and was reading it at the time, and thought it was great, if not exactly typical genre fare. It would have been a much more defensible purchase if I hadn't already owned that. Instead I'm annoyed at myself for adding 12 B-list books to my TBR.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 AM   #2957
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I went a bit mad during this last contest. I only had a few discountable books on my to-be-purchased list and managed to clear that in the first two days. There were so very many 65% and 75% coupons being shared, especially toward the end, that I bought a lot of English and American classics that I've always thought about reading but have never seemed to get around to reading.

56 was the final count, including the 2 new releases I planned on purchasing. A slight uptick from my usual 3 or so a week.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #2958
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
There were so very many 65% and 75% coupons being shared, especially toward the end, that I bought a lot of English and American classics that I've always thought about reading but have never seemed to get around to reading.
Those coupons are the curse of us all!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #2959
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have managed to avoid the coupon codes, and also avoided buying any books at all except for a Baen Bundle this month. Oh, and one book I bought for my sweetie, though I'll certainly read it too. I'm feeling quite virtuous. Of course, that will all change in August when I expect to see several favourite authors release new books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:44 AM   #2960
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Of course, that will all change in August when I expect to see several favourite authors release new books.
Same here. I've got three ebook preorders ranging from $6-$10 for August (+ two of them I'm also getting on paper for my shelf)...

I also just the other day read the first book in a six book series which I enjoyed so much that now I won't have any problems figuring out what to do with the next Kobo coupons that might come along... Sigh.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #2961
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't expect to buy any ebooks today, so I think I'm safe to say that July has been an average month in a year where I haven't had many. 23 books for just over $40. Five months left, and I'm going to have to have some lean months to make my annual target.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #2962
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've been very quiet for the end of the month, but not so good at the start. I also bought a brand-new full-price hardback on the 2nd - so I could get it signed by the author - so not a great month financially, either. I have already read that, though, unlike most of these "bargains"...
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #2963
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I also bought a brand-new full-price hardback on the 2nd - so I could get it signed by the author - so not a great month financially, either.
Definitely a special case!

A personally signed book by a favourite author? Not to be missed.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #2964
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I have managed to avoid the coupon codes, and also avoided buying any books at all except for a Baen Bundle this month.
Good for you! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
that now I won't have any problems figuring out what to do with the next Kobo coupons that might come along... Sigh.
My wishlist has already repopulated also, alas. But I can hold out until the books get cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
July has been an average month in a year where I haven't had many.
This also deserves props.

As for me, as the month ends, I have only word:

Peccavi.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #2965
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I have managed to avoid the coupon codes, and also avoided buying any books at all except for a Baen Bundle this month. Oh, and one book I bought for my sweetie, though I'll certainly read it too. I'm feeling quite virtuous. Of course, that will all change in August when I expect to see several favourite authors release new books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Good for you! Wow!
Well, I can't take too much credit. A combination of factors, including not much new from favourite authors this month, a large TBR on my Kindle, the Kindle Unlimited starting this month, a good month at the BC Library, and several PD books that showed up on Faded Page in the last month or two that I wanted to read. More conjunctural than the result of discipline. But we take our victories as we can find them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #2966
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I remain a victim of huge markdowns, I'm afraid. Nothing was more than $2.99, but still... it adds up. Two of the items were on my wishlist, ebook replacements for deadtree books - saved a LOT on those by waiting. At least I stayed below my budget amount.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #2967
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
I guess I did alright - even though I was supposed to buy nothing. ^^;
$6.98 for a total of 4 books. Around $1.75 each.
If you want to get super technical, I only spent $1, because the rest was through a gift card I had sitting there.

Not sure what I'm going to do next month as I have discovered some books I'd really, really like to get. ^^;
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #2968
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Largely thanks to the rather nice Kobo contest, I ended up with 17 books in July, ranging from $1.22 to $9.65 (that latter one was a "read immediately" book), at an average of $2.53.

At least only two of them were largely impulse buys of the "hmm, I have heard of the author and this looks somewhat interesting, so for $1.99, why not" kind - the rest were all various wishlist books.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #2969
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Congratulations, everyone! It looks like July was a good month all round.

I shall try not to be the outlier in August!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #2970
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I must stay strong in August. There are only 2 books on my buy list and they both come out on the 26th. That's almost a whole month! We'll see how it goes I guess.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote