Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Ender's Game" film

I went to see the newly-released film version of "Ender's Game" last night. It's one of my favourite SF novels, so I was a little apprehensive about what they'd do to it as a film, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty faithful adaptation of the book, although some plot elements of the book were cut out, as is inevitable.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

(I should add, in passing, that my Kindle PW2 proved its worth as a way of getting through the seemingly endless adverts and trailers that preceded that film. Thank goodness for illuminated readers!)

Last edited by HarryT; 10-26-2013 at 05:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Isn't it supposed to be an adaptation of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow?

Personally the trailer isn't doing it for me.. But I also have a special place for Ender's Game in my heart. Excellent book.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I went to see the newly-released film version of "Ender's Game" last night. It's one of my favourite SF novels, so I was a little apprehensive about what they'd do to it as a film, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty faithful adaptation of the book, although some plot elements of the book were cut out, as is inevitable.

(I should add, in passing, that my Kindle PW2 proved its worth as a way of getting through the seemingly endless adverts and trailers that preceded that film. Thank goodness for illuminated readers!)
You read your Kindle through the trailers? Not to sidetrack the thread but that seems a little uncouth when it comes to cinema courtesy.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
You read your Kindle through the trailers? Not to sidetrack the thread but that seems a little uncouth when it comes to cinema courtesy.
Absolutely. I always do, and have never considered it discourteous. I have the light on a sufficiently low setting that it's not going to disturb anyone, and there was nobody sitting next to me, anyway.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Isn't it supposed to be an adaptation of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow?
No, it's just "Ender's Game".
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Quote:
Absolutely. I always do, and have never considered it discourteous. I have the light on a sufficiently low setting that it's not going to disturb anyone, and there was nobody sitting next to me, anyway.
I do the same thing. I used to read paperbacks while waiting for the movie to start. I used to have to stop when the lights dimmed. Now I can read until the actual movie starts.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read until they dim the lights and then put away my reader. Who wants to miss the Coming Attractions? I always arrive early enough not to miss those.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can we return to the original topic, please - the film itself.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:

Thank you for this post. I am so excited now. I too was apprehensive. Now I can't wait.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

I haven't watched the movie, and like you I was thinking that the book probably wouldn't work as a movie. I read the book many years ago, and truly loved it, one of those books that leave a mark, so I was a bit concerned that the movie would spoil it. But after your comments, I'll give the movie the benefit of the doubt and I'll watch it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They seem to have doubled the children's ages.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
juubee
pink`d
juubee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They seem to have doubled the children's ages.
They did, and I guess I can understand it in a way.

I'm a new reader for that book - simply because I saw the trailer and I'm the type to read before I watch the movie.

Was pleasantly surprised with how good the book is. A favorite now. Super excited for the movie and hope it doesn't disappoint.
juubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Am I the only person who's actually seen it?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard

It doesn't open in the U.S. until November 1.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
November 8 here in Norway. Although if I wanted to I could no doubt track down a torrent before it even gets near the cinema....
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote