Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Calibre Numbering of Series on Kindle

I've got some series that write out of order (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) so when I add them to my Calibre Library I add say instead of Book 1, it would be Book 1.01 Or something like that.

However when I copy to my Paperwhite, it copies it as 01, 1.1 Which means that Book 2 in a series would still be placed ahead of book, so it would be 01, 02, 1.1

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
This is best posted in the Calibre sub-forum. There is at least one thread discussing the subject.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Open Calibre, go into preferences, select metadata plugboards, then create a new one using the following settings (I know it says kindle2 but it works on my K3 and should on the PW):

format: mobi
device: kindle2
template: {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
destination: title

From then on when you send a book to your Kindle or save to disk, the books will be named... Series - 01 - Book Name (i.e. A Song Of Ice And Fire - 01 - A Game Of Thrones)
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
this works just fine on the PW.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Open Calibre, go into preferences, select metadata plugboards, then create a new one using the following settings (I know it says kindle2 but it works on my K3 and should on the PW):

From then on when you send a book to your Kindle or save to disk, the books will be named... Series - 01 - Book Name (i.e. A Song Of Ice And Fire - 01 - A Game Of Thrones)
I would suggest using "Any Format" and "Any Device", unless you have a particular reason not to want the plugboard to work with other formats, such as AZW3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post

Yes, but that does nothing for my wanting 1.5 or 1.2 or 3.4, the numbers would appear AFTER the 01, 02, 03....so it wouldn't work.

That was the old way I did things.

The new way I do things is using 0>5, so that it puts up to 3 digits after the decimal point and a 0 before it.

And I use ANY FORMAT like HarryT suggested
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Why not just use the Series Tag in Edit Metadata? I just recently discovered it myself & it's beauty! You name the series & you set the starting number. The rest just follow through. I did this for a couple of series - Harry Potter & Blossom Street. Name the series and then tab over to the series number, and enter 1.

Select the first book in the series, Edit Metadata, name the series, tab to number and enter 1. Select the next book, Edit Metadata, select the series name from the dropdown, tab to the number and it automatically enters the next number - 2. Continue for the books in the series and you're done.

Granted though it will make a folder for that series and I wanted that but if you don't, then I don't know how to not make it do that. No need for messing with the plug ins to get the series order though. HTH
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Why not just use the Series Tag in Edit Metadata? I just recently discovered it myself & it's beauty! You name the series & you set the starting number. The rest just follow through. I did this for a couple of series - Harry Potter & Blossom Street. Name the series and then tab over to the series number, and enter 1.

Select the first book in the series, Edit Metadata, name the series, tab to number and enter 1. Select the next book, Edit Metadata, select the series name from the dropdown, tab to the number and it automatically enters the next number - 2. Continue for the books in the series and you're done.

Granted though it will make a folder for that series and I wanted that but if you don't, then I don't know how to not make it do that. No need for messing with the plug ins to get the series order though. HTH
That's exactly what we're talking about - using the series metadata in Calibre. But I'm a little puzzled by what you mean when you say "it will make a folder for that series". Filling in series metadata in Calibre does absolutely nothing on the Kindle, unless you then USE that metadata in some way, such as with a plugboard.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Ok maybe I'm wrong. To be completely honest I haven't actually done that with the Kindle. I did it with my Sony and it made it's own Collection so I assumed it would too with the Kindle. Working on that right now to try and see what happens without the plugboard. hmmm

EDIT: Oh no, it didn't make it's own collection. I'm sorry. Please ignore.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 01-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, it does nothing whatsoever on the Kindle. Hence the use of the plugboard .