Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Free book (EPub and MOBI) - Sweeter Than Wine

Phoenix Pick offers for free the upcoming novel by L. Neil Smith "Sweeter Than Wine" (3 chapters will be released every 2nd of the month). There is no synopsis except for: "A long lost love or a serial killing vampire." I didn't read anything by this author but his other books sell for ~$10.

You can download the first chapters here.

Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting. Sort of a serial novel idea. I remember reading how many of the old classics like Charles Dickens books were serialized in much the same way. The only difference being that they used newspapers to do it rather than epubs and Mobi's. Everything old eventually becomes new again I guess.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Interesting. Sort of a serial novel idea. I remember reading how many of the old classics like Charles Dickens books were serialized in much the same way. The only difference being that they used newspapers to do it rather than epubs and Mobi's. Everything old eventually becomes new again I guess.
I tend to believe that this is a better marketing strategy than to offer the whole book for free for a short period of time. Too many times I have seen horrible reviews written merely minutes after a book was discounted, and sometimes even during the pre-order period. I truly believe some people are more inclined to give better reviews to books they paid for.

By giving away a novel in pieces, then selling it at the regular price, publishers may try to discourage these kind of people, while still offering a bargain to those who are patient enough to gather each "episode".

(But then, I may be wrong... )

Last edited by Andreiuta; 04-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiuta View Post
I tend to believe that this is a better marketing strategy than to offer the whole book for free for a short period of time. Too many times I have seen horrible reviews written merely minutes after a book was discounted, and sometimes even during the pre-order period. I truly believe some people are more inclined to give better reviews to books they paid for.

By giving away a novel in pieces, then selling it at the regular price, publishers may try to discourage these kind of people, while still offering a bargain to those who are patient enough to gather each "episode".

(But then, I may be wrong... )
Although I understand your reasoning, I find this idea very frustrating. I do not want to have to remember to come back in order to get another piece of the book, nor do I want to be left waiting in order to finish said book.

I wish the author the best of luck, however.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Although I understand your reasoning, I find this idea very frustrating. I do not want to have to remember to come back in order to get another piece of the book, nor do I want to be left waiting in order to finish said book.

Then there's the G.R.R. Martin problem...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It doesn't always work I agree on that. Stephen King tried that with his story "The Plant" I believe and it faded into cyberspace limbo for several reasons as I recall. The Green Mile was released in parts to somewhat better results.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Then there's the G.R.R. Martin problem...
Please explain.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please explain.
By which I mean that if the story isn't completely finished yet (i.e., many serialized novels + lots of "trilogies" and "quadrilogies" that go unfinished), then you get the not-so-pleasant experience of waiting forever for the end of a story that will never be written.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
By which I mean that if the story isn't completely finished yet (i.e., many serialized novels + lots of "trilogies" and "quadrilogies" that go unfinished), then you get the not-so-pleasant experience of waiting forever for the end of a story that will never be written.
So G.R.R. Martin was an author who never finished his work?

That is maddening!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
So G.R.R. Martin was an author who never finished his work?

That is maddening!
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to stir everyone up - I thought the controversy was relatively well known. (There's even a song about it! )

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com...not-my-bit.php
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to stir everyone up - I thought the controversy was relatively well known. (There's even a song about it! )

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com...not-my-bit.php
Oh! The Game of Thrones guy! I had no idea that's who that was. The books are/were somewhere on my TBR list, but not that high up (obviously). My husband bought them, because we were considering whether or not to watch the new TV show. I had completely forgotten about it, and he hasn't brought it up, so I guess that's a "no".

Thank you for linking the story.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Andreiuta
Zealot

Assuming that you were interested in this offer, chapters 4-6 had just been posted here. And it looks like you can still download the first three chapters.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:

I agree, I don't read serials for the same reason I don't watch 'mini-series' on television. I don't want to spend ANY of my time and energy just trying to remember to retrieve the newly released segement. If its any good, it will still be good once the entire set has been released. If it isn't any good, I've saved myself some unproductive effort.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote