Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Lua comes pre-installed on all the series-5 Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #47
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Really enjoyed using KL last night! 180 page flip doesn't seem to work with the KV but the page turns are great! Looking forward to integration with koreader, light slider and page flip, if any of those are possible with the KV, but I love it just for the page changing. Battery lost about 30%. Probably read 2 hours or more in several segments. Charging daily would be no problem for me.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Huh well that took a while of debugging.
I was injecting/writing to the touchscreen events, but sometimes previous page/next page would still be incorrect.

In landscape view, X returns the current landscape res. Ok.
But it turns out that we always need the portrait res when writing to the input device, since the touch device uses portrait coordinates, regardless of X.
When simply using the XTestFakeMotionEvent() to fake a mouse/touch, I didn't have to worry about it.
So, switching to the 'better' fake touch that will work with KOReader wasn't as easy as I thought! (It would have been no work if I pretended landscape mode didn't exist)

Anyway, I didn't do anything about the brightness not working in voyage (oasis I assume too) - but I plan to fix. Thankfully it's something minor and brightness isn't needed to be changed very often!

KindleLazy 0.9 is better:
It supports waking up the kindle if it is in screensaver mode (on 'my' remote, it is set to the first/top button of the controller)
It works in KOReader

But it doesn't work properly in upside down mode... and at the moment I can't think of a nice way to fix this.
(The input is reversed)
And still sometimes the input is not corrected when we enter upside down mode...

(Still no brightness for voyage if using my remote I think!)

https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLaz...leLazy-0.9.zip

I just tested and KOReader doesn't work...........
I have no idea why, since I am actually writing the event to the input device file... strange.
Ok, and bit more testing...
Even changing the brightness doesn't work, and that doesn't use the touch screen, it just execute commands.

I assume KOReader is receiving and blocking inputs or something, so that they are not getting through.

If NiLuJe can say anything about this, about how likely it would be to get around this, I might revert to the older method of touch/page turning, so there are no problems with upside down mode.

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-30-2016 at 11:25 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #49
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Huh well that took a while of debugging.
I was injecting/writing to the touchscreen events, but sometimes previous page/next page would still be incorrect.

In landscape view, X returns the current landscape res. Ok.
But it turns out that we always need the portrait res when writing to the input device, since the touch device uses portrait coordinates, regardless of X.
When simply using the XTestFakeMotionEvent() to fake a mouse/touch, I didn't have to worry about it.
So, switching to the 'better' fake touch that will work with KOReader wasn't as easy as I thought! (It would have been no work if I pretended landscape mode didn't exist)

Anyway, I didn't do anything about the brightness not working in voyage (oasis I assume too) - but I plan to fix. Thankfully it's something minor and brightness isn't needed to be changed very often!

KindleLazy 0.9 is better:
It supports waking up the kindle if it is in screensaver mode (on 'my' remote, it is set to the first/top button of the controller)
It works in KOReader

But it doesn't work properly in upside down mode... and at the moment I can't think of a nice way to fix this.
(The input is reversed)
And still sometimes the input is not corrected when we enter upside down mode...

(Still no brightness for voyage if using my remote I think!)

https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLaz...leLazy-0.9.zip
Quick report as I have to leave for a while:
0.9 doesn't seem to work with koreader, BUT the reverse screen does work, although not in a helpful way. It causes a reboot and the screen remains turned 180, but KL will not start in that configuration. A restart puts the screen back to normal and KL will start again. And you're right, light slider doesn't work, but screensaver waking does.

Thanks so much for the time you're spending on this!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #50
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Ok you replied before my final edit - no problem!

Yes no KOReader, I think that is out of my control...

Yes, upside down needs to (at least the current method we have) 'restart' the kindle.

But... KindleLazy should happily start again once you go upside down. Strange.
You will have to start KindleLazy again after going upside down, it will be stopped when initially turning upside down.

I have ideas for the next version, to fix some problems.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #51
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Ok you replied before my final edit - no problem!

Yes no KOReader, I think that is out of my control...

Yes, upside down needs to (at least the current method we have) 'restart' the kindle.

But... KindleLazy should happily start again once you go upside down. Strange.
You will have to start KindleLazy again after going upside down, it will be stopped when initially turning upside down.

I have ideas for the next version, to fix some problems.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback
Will do a bit more testing on that 180 flip this afternoon but yes, I did restart it.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Does the normal (built in) landscape mode work ok with KindleLazy? That would be enough to get the dongle away from a screen holder on an exercise machine. Just the landscape plus page turns, I mean. I don't care much about the brightness. (i.e. That would mean that enough of KL works that I have no excuse not to buy the parts and try it!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #53
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Does the normal (built in) landscape mode work ok with KindleLazy? That would be enough to get the dongle away from a screen holder on an exercise machine. Just the landscape plus page turns, I mean. I don't care much about the brightness. (i.e. That would mean that enough of KL works that I have no excuse not to buy the parts and try it!)
Yes landscape mode works perfectly fine
No need to put off your jailbreak any longer! If you need help, you will receive.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #54
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
KOReader should work. Don't know what's wrong with KL code, but if you get my fakeinput samples, put faketouch to kindle and run from ssh with KOReader open, KOReader will respond accordingly. Same for my original mouseturn.

Also in KL all input/touchscreen devices are hardcoded which is wrong. KV has one more extra input device than PW3, the side buttons, so it will be event0 for power btn, event1 for touchscreen and event2 for the side button. USB OTG devices start from event3....that's why brightness not working in KV even he got same adapter as yours.
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #55
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes landscape mode works perfectly fine
No need to put off your jailbreak any longer! If you need help, you will receive.
Thanks! I rely on you-all. I've order the hardware, and I'm looking in semi-schock at the instructions for the jailbreak. Yeah, I'm a geek and I speak Unix (a bit) but I'm reluctant to remove *allll* my books. Still, that might not stop me.

I'm also reading through the whole thread (under those jailbreak instructions). *Fascinating*, all the work that has gone into this stuff. Probably, by the end of the thread, I'll feel more secure in the given instructions.

But maybe I'll try my latest-version-basic-kindle first (as of Jul-12-2016), before I do the Voyage.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #56
jscris
Addict

Not sure what I did wrong this morning when I was in a rush, but KL DOES work on the KV with the 180 orientation. Sorry!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
- - - - -
But maybe I'll try my latest-version-basic-kindle first (as of Jul-12-2016), before I do the Voyage.
Known as a KT3 here.
Notice in Step #8, you follow the special directions for the KT3 and KOA.

For that scary looking page of directions, it has been up long enough now that almost anyone here can help you.

And the author is still available.
(Who also has a (White)KT3 that has not been jail broken yet.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #58
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I'm having fun (in a sadistic sort of way!) reading through the thread for the Jailbreak process. I'm only on pg 44 of 72; gotta quit soon. In case I don't run into the answer before I go: it seems to imply that I *CAN* leave my "with ads" version asis? I'm too cheap to remove it unless I need to (it doesn't bother me), and it seems to give me the option of leaving the Ads in place. Yes?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

A KT3 - the ads can remain.

The problem with ads is they require that the system boot far enough to recognize the sweep movement on the screen.
If the device becomes hung, it never gets that far, so the ads become a block to de-bricking the device.

But that was only seen on the PW-3 using a factory firmware we no longer distribute.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #60
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Great -- thanks!

Now, if I get hooked on this "modifying my kindle" stuff, I might add in the Cover-of-my-book screensaver hack. And then, of course, I'll pay to turn off the ads. But for starters, I'll change as little as possible. Till I see if I like it (and use it).

Tags
remote, remote control