Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
eLDeus
eLDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad 1 mini
Arrow Kindle 4 +++ Auto Changing Screensaver's PNG Quotes

Hi,
My name's Dmitry. Dmitry from Russia.

A couple of days ago I thought if I could use my old Kindle 4 as a screen on my table, while I’m doing my daily work at the computer, so it could show me a new quote which I don’t know, and doing it with an interval say 5 minutes for a little pause to think about every read quote.
Generally, it’s pretty old e-reader and reading on it is much difficult than on modern e-readers.
The only question for this idea is (I really think someone has already used this in his own similar situation) if Kindle 4 can show images (PNG with a quotes) automatically changing them without need of any action with the Kindle itself except watching its screen for several hours or more.
So it would be cool to see one of N quote among the thousands within 2Gb memory on it and think about every new read quote within 5 minutes. Ahh… what a nice idea! I hope it'll catch fancy someone else and does really hope it’s really possible!

P.S.
I spent some time trying to use custom screensaver images without jailbreak, but Kindle did not change it automatically without an action from my side (I mean pressing lock button). Maybe Screensaver Hack is my hero?

I'll repeat the key thing: looking for a possibility to make somehow screensaver's images to be auto changing with an interval jailbroken or not.

Thanks for the interest.

Best.

Last edited by eLDeus; 02-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
eLDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Anything you will need to use will require that the Kindle be jail broken.
So step 1, jail break it after installing the most recent Amazon firmware for it.
No worries about any later Amazon updates, they stopped issuing them a few years ago for the K4.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
eLDeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Anything you will need to use will require that the Kindle be jail broken.
So step 1, jail break it after installing the most recent Amazon firmware for it.
No worries about any later Amazon updates, they stopped issuing them a few years ago for the K4.
Ok, it's 4.1.3 on it, and I can install Jailbreak for it. What the next step should be? Need I have a try with Screensaver Hack? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
eLDeus

Just want to test rtcwake to see if it will help for auto change screensaver images while connected through ssh over wifi or not but...

... but faced the wall while trying connecting with ssh over wifi to my K4. Before this I made reset of it, installed latest jailbreak and UsbNetworking, set in /usbnet/etc/config ip address which K4 takes dynamically from router set USE_WIFI="true" and USE_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true". But having message trying to connect root@192.168.10.242:
Code:
Air:~ eldeus$ ssh root@192.168.10.242
ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.242 port 22: Connection refused
I know that my router doesn't block ssh traffic in my network. Also tried to reinstall jailbreak and Usbnet, but with no luck(

Any ideas? Thx.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
"Connection refused" is typical when packets are reaching the target host (your kindle) but sshd is not running on the kindle or is not listening on port 22.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You probably misunderstood something. You don't need to touch the IPs in USBNet's config unless you *really* know what you're doing, and have a *very* specific need for a custom setup.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automate, images, kindle 4, png, screensaver