Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 01:05 AM   #1
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
New to Kindle...can I invert the text/background colors?

I just recently bought a Kindle PW4 and love reading on it, even better than my new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9”.

But one thing I miss from ereader apps like Marvin (RIP) and MapleRead is the ability to have a black background with white text. I can’t seem to find a way to do this.

It seems possible because when I wake it from sleep, it refreshes with a white text on black screen.

Anyone know how this works?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:03 AM   #2
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi, yes if you go into settings and then accessibility you can invert black and white.

Enjoy your new Kindle!
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I never really saw a Marvin but if I'm not mistaken it had an LCD screen, which is very different than an e-ink screen. An LCD has a light shining through a translucent screen into your eyes, and in that case reversing the text makes a lot of sense. It reduces the amount of light shining into your eyes.

The Paperwhite has an opaque e-ink screen and doesn't have a light behind it. Instead there's a light shining down onto the screen in much the same way a lamp shines down on a paper book. What you get is reflected light and I'm not sure that would be reduced much by reversing the text.

That's not to say you shouldn't like it. If you like it you like it and that's that. But I don't think there's much practical benefit as there is with a backlit LCD screen.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I tried it on my Oasis just to see...my eyes see it as reduced contrast, and I needed a larger font for it to be comfortable. The screen seemed "muddy" to me. The page refresh is more pronounced also. I didn't like it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Like Deskisamess I need a larger font when I invert black and white on my Oasis; however, I actually prefer the white-on-black setting when I am reading at night in my dark bedroom. My husband prefers it, too, as the light is far less likely to bother him when he is trying to sleep.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Hi, yes if you go into settings and then accessibility you can invert black and white.

Enjoy your new Kindle!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I find if I have the colors inverted I save a lot of battery life. I hate reading that way tho
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I never really saw a Marvin but if I'm not mistaken it had an LCD screen, which is very different than an e-ink screen.
"Marvin" is not a device. It's a reading app for iOS devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Marvin" is not a device. It's a reading app for iOS devices.
I did think the Marvin was a device but if it's an app on a backlit device my argument still holds.

I don't mind being wrong if it doesn't get in the way of being right.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I prefer the inverted mode for night reading, but I wish there was a shortcut to turn it on or off. Like tapping with three fingers at the same time or something.
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote