Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #16
jehrler
Enthusiast
jehrler began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Notifications on macOS happen via separate process asynchronously, so they cant cause pauses. I cant think of anything else that could cause a pause that would affect only the GUI thread and not any other threads. But I agree the issue is likely in the mini, as I suggested before the place to look is the power settings.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the only power setting that wasn't already in non-sleep mode was "put hard disks to sleep when possible". I have turned that off so the disk won't go to sleep. Note that this has not been an issue with other server functionality (vpn,plex).

I also turned off animations in calibre and dock bouncing as a notification method. Calibre would bounce the dock when a wireless connection was made so maybe turning that off will prevent the GUI from interfering with the server connection.

We shall see....
jehrler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #17
jehrler
Enthusiast

Issue remains.
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try hiding calibre (right click on dock icon and select hide).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #19
jehrler
Enthusiast

I already have it hidden as it is essentially a background process 95% of the time.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then I am out of ideas. Since the content server works, I suggest using that directly or using the content server connection in CC.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I cant think of anything else that could cause a pause that would affect only the GUI thread and not any other threads
I don't think it stops only the GUI thread. I think that something the GUI does causes all of calibre to pause.
Quote:
Since the content server works, I suggest using that directly or using the content server connection in CC.
I suspect that the content server working is accidental, and that it will stop working under some conditions. For example, I think that the following steps will result in a non-responding CS:
  1. Start calibre
  2. Let the mini go to sleep.
  3. Connect CC. Verify that the connection sequence pauses.
  4. Connect to the content server using a web browser. I think the connection will hang because the step above has put calibre into some kind of wait state.
Grasping at straws: is there some kind of remote session server running? If so then it could be pausing programs that "output too much" for its buffers.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
jehrler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I don't think it stops only the GUI thread. I think that something the GUI does causes all of calibre to pause.

I suspect that the content server working is accidental, and that it will stop working under some conditions. For example, I think that the following steps will result in a non-responding CS:
  1. Start calibre
  2. Let the mini go to sleep.
  3. Connect CC. Verify that the connection sequence pauses.
  4. Connect to the content server using a web browser. I think the connection will hang because the step above has put calibre into some kind of wait state.
Grasping at straws: is there some kind of remote session server running? If so then it could be pausing programs that "output too much" for its buffers.
I believe I've tried this before but will try again and report back here. Just a note that the mini is set to never sleep.

As to your question, as far as I know there are no limits on output...the mini let me start watching a movie using its Plex server even while the calibre wireless connection is stalled.

The remote session client I'm using is using the built in remote login in Mac OS X.

Last edited by jehrler; 04-13-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
jehrler
Enthusiast

ok, just confirmed that with the CC wireless connection stalled, connecting to the content server via browser proceeds without issue.

The content server offers up its data both to the iPhone that is still stalled using the CC wireless connection and a separate computer.

Note that accessing the content server, even from the stalled iPhone, has no effect on the wireless connection. It remains stalled.

Just want to point out again that to restart the wireless server does not require logging into the mini. Just having it display a login screen is sufficient.

Last edited by jehrler; 04-13-2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added about iPhone not resuming