Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Easy annotations in an ereader?

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new ereader which would allow me to annotate texts while reading.

For some time I've been happily using Hanlin V3 with OpenInkpot firmware, and love its wide range of file formats and settings, but it lacks the possibility of annotations. Now and then I read a text - usually not a proper book, but something written by me or one of my friends - and need to take short notes while reading. Paper & pencil are a solution too, but a bit clumsy one.

I know there are readers out there that can annotate, but I guess I need some details.

So, I'm looking for a reader that:
- has a decent 6" screen
- allows annotations, ideally in .doc files, but I'm okay with RTF or HTML or whatever I can easily convert
- either by a physical keybord or touchscreen, I'm open to both options so far, but appreciate any views on this
- what about exporting those notes to a computer?
- it would be nice if it worked well with google docs - I have some issues with displaying them properly in my reader (italics gets lost, and I need it)

No, I don't want a tablet, most of the time I only read. But I'd like to find out how much of this can be done on a current ereader.

Anyone can help?
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle, with its physical keyboard, is excellent for annotations. I find it much better for this purpose than the touch-screen devices that I also own.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The new Sony Reader WiFi is a 6" e-Ink screen, and supports annotations with keyboard (touch screen) or hand written using a stylus.

It only supports ePub, PDF, and TXT, not sure that is a deal breaker for you.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle, with its physical keyboard, is excellent for annotations. I find it much better for this purpose than the touch-screen devices that I also own.
With Kindle, I guess I'd have to look at various hacks. I had one borrowed for a few days and it was okay, but I missed lots of settings I'm used to. A physical keyboard is a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
The new Sony Reader WiFi is a 6" e-Ink screen, and supports annotations with keyboard (touch screen) or hand written using a stylus.

It only supports ePub, PDF, and TXT, not sure that is a deal breaker for you.
Yes, I've been looking at it and kinda liked it, but having to convert everything to ePub... yeah, it's an option too, but I wouldn't be too happy about it. (TXT is useless because of its lack of formatting and PDF is... well, PDF). Some of the previous Sonys have a DOC support, don't they? At least I think I read it somewhere. If the T1 had that too, it would be a strong contender.

Last edited by idle; 09-19-2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: a little elaboration
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
With Kindle, I guess I'd have to look at various hacks. I had one borrowed for a few days and it was okay, but I missed lots of settings I'm used to.
Such as what, for example?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Such as what, for example?
Such as line spacing, indentation etc. I guess these will be available with some hacks too, but I didn't have the opportunity to try any.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Such as line spacing, indentation etc. I guess these will be available with some hacks too, but I didn't have the opportunity to try any.
I don't get it. You can change the line space between words. the indentation is fixed (you can't change it), but I don't really understand what are your needs about this.

I use the Kindle for notetaking too and I find myself my pleased about.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I don't get it. You can change the line space between words. the indentation is fixed (you can't change it), but I don't really understand what are your needs about this.

I use the Kindle for notetaking too and I find myself my pleased about.
Maybe not as much needs as... well... preference. Or something. I trust that Kindle is useful, but finding a reader with a native support of more formats would please me more.

The thing is, I'll never know for sure what I want until I have been using a reader for several weeks. That's why I'm asking around to find as much as I can in advance.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Line spacing is somewhat controllable on the Kindle. Not sure what that has to do with notes, though, as notes are not displayed inline with the book text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote