Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #61
greenhalgh55
greenhalgh55 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Can I thank OMK3 as following their suggestions I have just got my brand new today reader to work! So relieved. Thanks. I also think this is a great way to help solve problems.
greenhalgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #62
jabels319
jabels319 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
I just got the Sony PRS-900 Daily Edition, and I'm having some trouble with the author and title names when I send them through Calibre to the device. The last letter of the author name and book title show an unrecognized character, as if it's in another language. If the author is Anne Rice, the e in Rice will be a square character. Any suggestions?
jabels319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #63
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabels319 View Post
I just got the Sony PRS-900 Daily Edition, and I'm having some trouble with the author and title names when I send them through Calibre to the device. The last letter of the author name and book title show an unrecognized character, as if it's in another language. If the author is Anne Rice, the e in Rice will be a square character. Any suggestions?
You should post this in the calibre forum.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #64
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A heading for Syncing Problems is needed in the troubleshooting guide wiki.
A problem reported at the following thread was given a solution that worked by Dr. Drib:

Can't sync ebook library with reader
Quote:
Ok, here's what caused my Reader to hang while syncing:

Apparently, the file (ebook) was not in the folder it was supposed to be in, and the Sync was hung up and was doing nothing. It stalled with no progress being made.

Go to the Windows-like area of your Reader Library software and individually click on each book there to see if the book will open. If you get a message that the book can't be located, then delete the book from the Reader Library.

After I did this, I had no problem whatsover with Syncing on my two ebook Readers.

Don

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-24-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #65
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's so nice to have the information in one place in the Wiki.

everyone for your work so far.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #66
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the below post and wondered if the information is still useful and could be used in the Troubleshooting Guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Here is a list of common problems that You might have with the reader:
  1. Can not Authorize Reader
    This usually happens when You try to transfer a book after You purchase it and it tells You that You need to authorize the reader in order to trasnsfer the book. After you click yes to auhtorize it would come up with an error message telling that the page is unavailable. You might work around this by authorizing the reader from "My Authorized Devices" menu.

-Connect the Reader to The Computer
    -Go to the eBookstore
    -Click on 'Manage Devices' under the Account Overview
    -Click on the "Authorize This Device" button next to the detected Reader

2. Source View is not Available
    Sometimes the source view does not show up in the eBook Library Software, most of the time you should be able to get it by dragging the resize button that would come up after you restore the window to normal size in case it is maximized.

But sometimes the Left Pane would simply disappear, in this case you might need to do the following:

-Uninstall the eBook Library
    -Now You might need to delete every folder that remains from the previous installation:

For Windows XP:
    -Change the Folder Options so it would show the Hidden Files and Folders

-Open the Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\ApplicationData" here you need to delete two folders "Kinoma" and "Marlin"

-Open the Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Windows User Name"\LocalSettings\ApplicationData" here you need to delete the "Kinoma" folder only.

-Open the Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Windows User Name"\Local Settings" and delete the "Sony Corporation" Folder

-Open the Directory "C:\Program Files\Sony" and delete the Reader Folder

For Windows Vista:
    -Change the Folder Options so it would show the Hidden Files and Folders

-Open the Directory "C:\Program Data" here you need to delete the folders "Kinoma" and "Marlin"

-Open the Directory "C:\Users\"Your Windows User Name"\AppData\Local Settings\Application Data" here you need to delete the "Kinoma" folder and the Sony Corporation Folder.

-Open the Directory "C:\Program Files\Sony\ and delete the "Reader" and "Sony Reader" Folders

-Install the Latest Version of the eBook Library and the Source view should show up.
I will keep updating this post when I have more time available

Last edited by dreams; 02-11-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: ADD COLOR
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #67
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Fantastic

What a great idea. I can usually muddle through any problems I have. But trying to troubleshoot the girlfriends reader via email when I'm in Brazil or Africa, as they say at Mastercard "Priceless"

Thanks, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #68
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Hi,

This is my first post so if I haven't read the answer to my problem by not reading all of this thread - sorry but you seem to know about the subject I'm having a problem with - ADE.

ADE wasn't registering any books on my 300 then I found out how to get books into ADE - I have also downloaded 3 library books and transferred to ADE but they don't appear as borrowed books but as purchased books and I can't seem to change this.

As I want to return one book early this does matter at the moment, wouldn't you believe it I"ve waited 3 weeks and when I get it I find I have read it !!

Thanks in anticipation

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #69
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Welcome to MR, PeteS I'm sorry your first post is about a problem.

I haven't borrowed any library books yet, but the Wiki page for the Sony Troubleshooting Guide (that is still being put together) has a section on borrowing library books. Maybe this will help. Please let us know if it works or not.

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added mod note for new wiki page link and took out old link
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #70
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Dreams: Thanks for your help. Pointed me in the right direction - and now have my borrowed books in the right place, but still couldn't return but then realised when I first borrowed the book opened with Reader Library rather than ADE. Have now successfully returned book. Great forum this really impressed with how helpful and friendly it is.

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #71
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
From Sony eSupport:
A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format.

Quote:
Solution:

This may happen when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue:
Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.
Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.

I've updated the wiki Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide with the error given and the steps to correct the error and the source of the (hopefully temporary) solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-20-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happened for a book that my wife purchased, downloaded to her library and transferred to her reader. She was able to look at the book once it transferred.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #72
prisha
prisha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-600, Ipod Touch (3rd gen)
Thanks for all the guys/gals who put effort in making the wiki for trouble shooting. i am a PRS-500 owner for past 2 years but just bought a PRS-600 a month back and (sigh) encountered the quirkiness of PRS-600 first time like USB device not recognized and searched sony.com and got confused then as usual came back to mobileread and found the wiki answer in a jiffy and tried the least time taking one like doing a complete stop and viola it worked. once again thanks for the wiki and not making me search sony.com. my liking to PRS-600 is not as much as PRS-500 which unfortunately became unusable after sending it to firmware upgrade. the battery started draining so fast i could not even finish reading one book and it became so bad i called their laredo center but their response was bad. finally i gave up and bought a PRS-600 but still harbor a resentment in my heart and my lost love towards PRS-500.
prisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #73
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
How do we make this a sticky?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #74
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
A case of beer for an administrator might be a start!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
A case of beer for an administrator might be a start!
Nah.. they won't be able to find the sticky button after they drink all that beer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote