Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 02:32 AM   #1
GoingDutch
GoingDutch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Question How to jailbreak Kindle Paperwhite 2 (fw 5.7.4)

Hi !
My Kindle updated to version 5.7.4
Is it possible to make jailbreak and install mobileread kindlet kit/kual etc ?
I am totally confused
Help me please
GoingDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDutch View Post
Hi !
I am totally confused
Help me please
Was it already jail broken before the update?
If so, just re-boot it, the jb will self-reinstall.

If not jail broken before the update - you are S.O.L.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
GoingDutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was it already jail broken before the update?
If so, just re-boot it, the jb will self-reinstall.

If not jail broken before the update - you are S.O.L.
Yes, it was jail broken long time ago
How to check jailbreak still alive ?
When I open Kindle Launcher he says "Mobileread Kindlet Kit is not installed"
Old 04-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it was jail broken long time ago
How to check jailbreak still alive ?
When I open Kindle Launcher he says "Mobileread Kindlet Kit is not installed"
So install it.
Also try the 'hotfix' (your JB may have been too old).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I bought a new Paperwhite and it came with FW 5.7.4.

Is it impossible to jailbreak it at all? I lost track of the community work for a while, since my jailbroken KT was working so well that I did not need anything else. I did collaborate with Spanish translations, though...

I just want to make use of the font-changing plugins, and the margins edition, and the ability to change the background would be great... the same stuff I use on the older model.

It would be great to know why is it impossible as well, I have been reading the forums to find an explanation but I was not lucky at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by elRicharD; 05-02-2016 at 09:18 PM.
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not without opening it up for serial access, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I am pretty sure I found a jailbreak you can dump on /mnt/us for Oasis firmware 5.7.4, but no way to test it...

It will probably work on any other kindle with 5.7.4, like a PW2...

Any volunteers?

EDIT: Oops... that line is commented out. I will keep searching.

EDIT2: It looks like the same method as used for the K5 jailbreak *should* work on the Oasis. Has anybody tried it? I wish I could afford a device to test on -- if I had one I think I would have a jailbreak for it already. Somebody should try renaming a genuine amazon update file -- I would PM NiLuJe about specific details but his PMs are disabled... ;(

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-03-2016 at 07:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GM: Huh? Nothing (should) be wrong with my PMs? In fact I got a few from you a few days ago ;p.

EDIT: Double-checked my settings, everything looks okay? Might you have missclicked on "Visitor Messages", which I did disable?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-03-2016 at 08:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Sounds like the Mysteries of Life:

Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GM: Huh? Nothing (should) be wrong with my PMs? In fact I got a few from you a few days ago ;p.

EDIT: Double-checked my settings, everything looks okay? Might you have missclicked on "Visitor Messages", which I did disable?
Alright, now that is just weird. When I clicked the dropdown there was no "send PM" link, and that happened other times too (also at your profile page). However I know we participated in "send to all" threads. I just checked again, and I can now send you PMs both by clicking your avatar in posts AND at your profile.

Oh, wait... perhaps I confused you with ixtab (who does have his PMs disable). Sorry about about that -- just another "senior moment" you have a few years yet before you can enjoy (unless you partied too hard too often, that is)...

I will PM you...

EDIT: Oh wait... ixtab was participating in group PMs too. I wonder what problem with PMs I *have* been having. Maybe my body isn't the *only* part acting like it belongs to an old man? I need to trade this body in on a new one...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-03-2016 at 09:35 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I am pretty sure I found a jailbreak you can dump on /mnt/us for Oasis firmware 5.7.4, but no way to test it...

Any volunteers?

EDIT2: It looks like the same method as used for the K5 jailbreak *should* work on the Oasis. Has anybody tried it? I wish I could afford a device to test on -- if I had one I think I would have a jailbreak for it already. Somebody should try renaming a genuine amazon update file -- I would PM NiLuJe about specific details but his PMs are disabled... ;(
I have a PW2 I just bought. If it is not supposed to be deadly to it, I can give it a go.

EDITED: mine is a Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi according to the serial number... sorry about that

Last edited by elRicharD; 05-04-2016 at 09:34 AM.
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Jara
Jara began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Hi !
I am totally confused
Help me please
To jailbreak 5.6.5 you can follow the steps here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270643. If you are on 5.7.x I'm not sure if you can JB at this time. I used the steps from the link to JB my PW2 and then upgraded to version 5.7.3.1 with no problems.

I hadn't used my Kindle in a month or two and turned it on today and it's on version 5.7.4 and my screensavers didn't work. But, just needed to re-install via KUAL and they are back.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-04-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: fix link
Jara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:40 AM   #13
GoingDutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So install it.
Also try the 'hotfix' (your JB may have been too old).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Thx knc1
Everything is fine now
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #14
thebeartian
thebeartian began at the beginning.

Device: nook2 simple touch
I have make a try by using method below in my kindle oasis.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

But unsuccessful in stage1, error "there was a problem loading this page"
Is it what you mean?

it seems the file "jb" which is executed in clicking the button "stage2" but not successful finally(may because of permission? not sure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Any volunteers?

thebeartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeartian View Post
I have make a try by using method below in my kindle oasis.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

But unsuccessful in stage1, error "there was a problem loading this page"
Is it what you mean?

it seems the file "jb" which is executed in clicking the button "stage2" but not successful finally(may because of permission? not sure)
What firmware version was your Oasis running when you tried?

This is a technical forum, we need technical context, ALWAYS.