Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
_ZI_
_ZI_ began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4
How do I change the serial number of my Kindle

How can i set the serial number?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You won't get any help with that here. The only reason to want to change the serial number of a Kindle is to defeat being "blacklisted", and nobody here's going to help you with a blacklisted Kindle.
Advert
Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moved to its own thread.

Yeah, considering even if you did change it you will need an actual working serial number and then you'll probably end up with two blacklisted devices...
...even if you got help, that could arguably be considered a bad thing -- for you.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
scorpion2782
Enthusiast
scorpion2782 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I need the same thing... My k3 motherboard is dead and i bought a motherboard on Ebay to replace it. if i don't connect it to amazon i can use locally with calibre, naturally, but if i want to connect to my amazon account? i would to replace s/n of new motherboard with s/n of my dead k3....
Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To repeat what was stated above, it is contrary to our forum policy to provide assistance with changing the serial number of a Kindle. Please do not ask.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion2782 View Post
I need the same thing... My k3 motherboard is dead and i bought a motherboard on Ebay to replace it. if i don't connect it to amazon i can use locally with calibre, naturally, but if i want to connect to my amazon account? i would to replace s/n of new motherboard with s/n of my dead k3....
Don't bother, just register the repaired Kindle with Amazon as-is.

You may have to de-register it before registering it, that just depends on if the seller de-registered it before parting it out.

If you can't do that through your Amazon account page, then contact Amazon customer service.
(You should be able to de-register from the Kindle itself, and your "manage devices" should have a page where you can manually enter the serial number of a device not purchased directly from Amazon.)

If they can't do it for you, then you will know that you have a motherboard from a blacklisted (probably lost or stolen) Kindle.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #7
scorpion2782
Enthusiast
scorpion2782 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Don't bother, just register the repaired Kindle with Amazon as-is.

You may have to de-register it before registering it, that just depends on if the seller de-registered it before parting it out.

If you can't do that through your Amazon account page, then contact Amazon customer service.
(You should be able to de-register from the Kindle itself, and your "manage devices" should have a page where you can manually enter the serial number of a device not purchased directly from Amazon.)

If they can't do it for you, then you will know that you have a motherboard from a blacklisted (probably lost or stolen) Kindle.
But if i try to register and it's a blacklist, risk of lock or back just an error message?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It just won't register.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have replaced several motherboards on Kindle 3s with no problem registering. If the motherboard serial number is blacklisted, it simply won't register -- it's not going to explode or otherwise self-destruct...
Old 11-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I have tried several serial numbers and the Kindle still refuses to register.
It throws "Internal Error".
I've contacted Amazon while using a *changed* s/n and it turned out belonging to somebody in Germany.
Is it possible that all of the serial numbers that I tried (no matter how crazy they are) are all registered?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
I've contacted Amazon while using a *changed* s/n and it turned out belonging to somebody in Germany.
Is it possible that all of the serial numbers that I tried (no matter how crazy they are) are all registered?
You didn't really think it was that easy, did you?
Use the device un-registered, or sell it for parts.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
Are you trying to get someone else's Kindle blacklisted too? You think Amazon won't notice if two Kindles are using the same serial number?

Trying to steal random serial numbers won't work.
They may not actually exist. If they do exist, they already belong to another Kindle.

The whole point of serial numbers is that Amazon knows which ones are real and who owns them -- you aren't going to trick them.

The only reasonable, ethical, OR likely-to-succeed serial number is for a device you already own, and which you have scrapped for parts.

And from what you've said, I assume you already figured out how to modify the serial number, no help needed there.

Moderator Notice

We can't help you change your serial number, it comes too close to fraud on general principle.
As evidenced by your attempts to "steal" serial numbers from other peoples' Kindles.

And if you bought a blacklisted Kindle, it is reasonable to expect that it won't register. As... happened.

So I don't think this conversation really needs to continue. Therefore, I am closing this thread.
Closed Thread