Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
white_gecko
white_gecko began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Touch Lux 3 (626)
Reduce Brightness on Touch Lux 3

I initially bought a Pocket Book Touch Lux 2 and later the Touch Lux 3 because it had the possibility to dim its brightness very low which was very comfortable for reading at night.
Recently I did an update to version U626.5.20.1157 which brought nice updates but since this update the lowest setting for the light is very bright.
;-)
Well, I could try to downgrade the system until I end up with the wanted behavior. But since I could not find anything in the change logs of Pocket Book about this, it is hard for me to track down which was the last version that had the "dark mode".

Does anybody know, which version introduced that change?

Does anybody know, which is the setting file to adjust the brightness e.g. using a Terminal like poterm? Or how to do that with the terminal? (In this case I think a script could do the job.)

Do other users experience the same issue? Or is it specific to me?
white_gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
white_gecko

I want a bit further and gained root and ssh access to my device (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325185)

find provided me with the following result:

Code:
~ # find -iname "bright*"
./sys/devices/platform/tps61161_bl/brightness
./sys/devices/platform/leds-sunxi/leds/power_led/brightness
cat gave

Code:
~ # cat ./sys/devices/platform/leds-sunxi/leds/power_led/brightness
~ # cat ./sys/devices/platform/tps61161_bl/brightness
sending

Code:
echo 0 > ./sys/devices/platform/leds-sunxi/leds/power_led/brightness
echo 1 > ./sys/devices/platform/leds-sunxi/leds/power_led/brightness
switches the power led off and on, as expected

Code:
~ # echo 28 > ./sys/devices/platform/tps61161_bl/brightness
dims the light. When it is dark I have to find the best value. So far it seems as if the reading light turns of at "27", but maybe I just don't see it.
Advert
Old 12-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
white_gecko

"28" dims the light to the lowest possible. "27" is off.

I write a small script/app, which unfortunately only works with root access.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo 28 | /mnt/secure/su /bin/tee /sys/devices/platform/tps61161_bl/brightness
just put this into a file "brightness.app" in "applications".

Unfortunately the value will be reset when the reader goes to standby and back.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The value set by the UI is probably saved in a configuration file somewhere in /system. On my Colour, /mnt/ext1/system/config/global.cfg has the entry:

FrontLightLastState=37

Perhaps if you update that value, as well, it will be preserved when you come back from standby.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
white_gecko

Thank you for the hint. I also have this line, but changing it with
Code:
sed
did not no the trick. When going to standby and reactivating the reader again the value is set to
Code:
FrontLightLastState=0
by the system.

I guess it is necessary to interfere with the wake up procedure.

(should this thread be moved to the developers corner?)
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Can you please check if your system is not readonly (copy a book onto the device, switch the device off, restart, check if book is there after restart).
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
white_gecko

I have checked it, and no it is not read-only.
How should that relate to the setting issue? The config file is on /mnt/ext1 which is the sd-card. Also the value is set to 0 on suspend already not only reboot.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
/mnt/ext1 is part of the internal storage. The SD card you insert yourself is mounted at /mnt/ext2.

The configuration files are saved to the filesystem in /mnt/ext1. On some devices, the internal storage was actually an SD card, as well, and that would go bad for some people and revert to read-only mode. In that mode, no permanent changes to the files were possible. It would look like the files were changed while the device was running, but the changes were only in RAM and wouldn't be saved to storage when the device shut down. So, when you rebooted the device, all the old configuration settings would reappear. Indications of bad storage are configuration changes that revert, books that disappear after being copied to the device or reappear after being deleted, the state of read books (i.e. last page read, font size,...) reverting to the old settings,... When these strange events happen, it is probably because the internal storage has gone bad. So, it's good to check that that isn't the problem before trying to figure out what may be changing a file on reboot.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brightness, night mode, pocket book, touch lux 2, touch lux 3