Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
What goes in HTML head <title> tag?

In various EPUB files I’ve encountered, the <title> tag sometimes has the book title, sometimes has a page-specific title (e.g., “Contents”, “Chapter 13”), and sometimes is empty. Are there any circumstances (format conversions, specialized readers) where this matters, and what works best?
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think it matters that <title></title> be present but I don't think it matters what you put between the start and end tags - as long as it's legal html text.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
On a browser the text in the <title> usually appears at the top of the window. So having different text for each chapter would make sense. I don't know if there are ANY ePub readers/apps that use that info to display at the top of each screen?? I just use the title of the book in the <title> of each and every html file in the epub.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am reasonably sure that Kindle devices and apps ignore it altogether. What appears on the Kindle "page" is the book's title as it was entered on the Book Details page as one builds the e-book on the KDP platform (also called the metadata).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
The title tag in head is a title for the "file", not chapter or ebook. It can be used for personal purpose. IMHO ebook readers do not have to use it, 'cause it is outside the IPDF rules.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Skeezix
Enthusiast
Skeezix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think it matters that <title></title> be present but I don't think it matters what you put between the start and end tags - as long as it's legal html text.
At least according to epubcheck, it doesn't even need to have content, it just needs to be present. I just put <title/> in there and leave it at that.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best practices, html tags, title