Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
botyok
botyok began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
1.1.0 Update

Looks like we may need to do some rerooting again.
botyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks, botyok. Here is some more information:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35758

NOOKcolor Ver1.1.0 update contains enhancements to improve the overall performance, including:
  • Improved performance of Wi-Fi connectivity, Home and Shop.
  • Ability to pinch and zoom in browser.
  • Enhanced reading experience for magazines and children's books.
  • Access helpful NOOKcolor related information and support tips on the new default browser home page.
  • Reduce mistyped passwords with "show password" option during registration and Wi-Fi set up.
  • Easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me™ books with a new text banner next to the titles in Shop.
  • General bug fixes and performance improvements.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
orb9220
orb9220 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Glad I'm stilling waiting for the return to expire before rooting mine.
Will be watching with baited breath on what happens to the rooted noooks.
Have my fingers crossed for a seamless and problem free time for the rooters.
orb9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm happy that B&N and Amazon both seem dedicated to improving the firmware for their ereaders, unlike Sony which never updates firmware except to change their business model!

1.1 does indeed give us pinch and zoom in the browser, although it is slow and the screen is rather jumpy when you use it. It is a long way from being as smooth as the iPod touch or iPad. But at least it now works.

I wish they would have given us a landscape mode for reading ePubs. We have had two updates and still no landscape mode, which is a standard feature on most ereaders.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm happy that B&N and Amazon both seem dedicated to improving the firmware for their ereaders, unlike Sony which never updates firmware except to change their business model!

1.1 does indeed give us pinch and zoom in the browser, although it is slow and the screen is rather jumpy when you use it. It is a long way from being as smooth as the iPod touch or iPad. But at least it now works.

I wish they would have given us a landscape mode for reading ePubs. We have had to updates and still no landscape mode.
Yeah, the update notes didn't mention anything about enhanced book/pdf reading, just magazines and kids books.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

I wish they would have given us a landscape mode for reading ePubs. We have had two updates and still no landscape mode, which is a standard feature on most ereaders.
Jack,
There is a program on the market called Aldiko that reads epubs and pdfs in a landscape mode. I find it a better product than the stock reader. You might try that.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
Jack,
There is a program on the market called Aldiko that reads epubs and pdfs in a landscape mode. I find it a better product than the stock reader. You might try that.
Jack didn't root his device. He's capable, but not interested.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Jack didn't root his device. He's capable, but not interested.
I probably will root in the future, but not before the update to Android 2.2 is released. I'm too lazy to go through the rooting multiple times.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

OK, so do I have to reset to stock to update to 1.1 or can I do it while rooted?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
OK, so do I have to reset to stock to update to 1.1 or can I do it while rooted?
I did the factory reset and then side loaded 1.1. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I have to reload some books.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Right now, if you are rooted, and you have the stock recovery (haven't installed Clockwork recovery), your rooted Nook may auto-update. If your NC auto-updates, you will lose root, but probably not your apps. You will lose Market access, though. And apps that require root access will no longer function (softkeys and button savior are a few). If you download the app "Z4root" prior to updating, it appears you MAY be able to get root back following an update to 1.1

Someone has already indicated that tonight they will post a method to update a rooted 1.0.1 NC to 1.1.0 w/o losing root or any of the benefits. If you don't want to have your NC autoupdate, you may want to keep wifi off, or look into the method of replace the build.prop in the system directory to trick the NC into thinking it has already been updated.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
rogerperk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Right now, if you are rooted, and you have the stock recovery (haven't installed Clockwork recovery), your rooted Nook may auto-update. If your NC auto-updates, you will lose root, but probably not your apps. You will lose Market access, though. And apps that require root access will no longer function (softkeys and button savior are a few). If you download the app "Z4root" prior to updating, it appears you MAY be able to get root back following an update to 1.1

Someone has already indicated that tonight they will post a method to update a rooted 1.0.1 NC to 1.1.0 w/o losing root or any of the benefits. If you don't want to have your NC autoupdate, you may want to keep wifi off, or look into the method of replace the build.prop in the system directory to trick the NC into thinking it has already been updated.
Thanks. That's what I needed. I have wifi off and am watching the forums to see how this could work. It's not a big deal to re-root, but why do it if I don't have to? I'll check tonight and see whats up. Im in no rush as my NC works fine as is (again, thanks Scion!). And thanks to you and Care for the response.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Quote:

I've actually tried to sideload the update to my rooted 1.0.1 NC but it won't "take". Copy the zip file over, wait for it to sleep, it reboots and comes right back to my normal launcher (Zeam). What I find interesting is that is also deletes the zip file.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallman View Post
I've actually tried to sideload the update to my rooted 1.0.1 NC but it won't "take". Copy the zip file over, wait for it to sleep, it reboots and comes right back to my normal launcher (Zeam). What I find interesting is that is also deletes the zip file.
Do you have the stock recovery? or have you installed Clockwork?

I have read reports of rooted devices auto-updating; but mine just kept rebooting - I figured it was because of Clockwork Recovery.

So I modified my build.prop file, and now my NC thinks it is 1.1 and I haven't had any problems.

Now, I am waiting for tonight when the 1.1 update will hopefully be released on the forums that will keep my NC rooted w/ the apps and settings I already have; and just install the updates from 1.1

Last edited by jasoraso; 01-27-2011 at 03:53 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Do you have the stock recovery? or have you installed Clockwork?

I have read reports of rooted devices auto-updating; but mine just kept rebooting - I figured it was because of Clockwork Recovery.

So I modified my build.prop file, and now my NC thinks it is 1.1 and I haven't had any problems.

Now, I am waiting for tonight when the 1.1 update will hopefully be released on the forums that will keep my NC rooted w/ the apps and settings I already have; and just install the updates from 1.1
No, I'm running stock recovery. Can't figure out why it won't update. For now I'll wait until a fix comes out on XDA.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.1.0, update