Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
frankfrank
frankfrank began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3g+WiFi
refurb nook 3g+WiFi with 1.5 -- rootable?

Apologies for the Nook novice question, but I just picked up a refurbished 3g+WiFi Nook that came pre-loaded with the new 1.5 firmware. (I really love the Nook so far!) The serial number starts with 10023. I was wondering if it can be rooted and if so, where I can find the directions to follow.

I'm a little new to this, and the Nook, and I've looked at a couple pages on the NookDevs site, but it's a little overwhelming! I just started reading on this, so I hope to get better as time goes on.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer!
frankfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Similar question. I received my overstock $85 3g nook today. Serial starts w/ 10007.

Rootable?

Also, to my surprise, there was a 16 gig microsd card in it! !!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
frankfrank

Ha, that is great! They must have forgotten to take it out!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Both are rootable.

Enter here :

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
Both are rootable.

Enter here :

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page
Mind sharing how do you know that?
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
If you look at the top of the page, this is how he knows that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO2.png
Views:	392
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	62307  
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Also, to my surprise, there was a 16 gig microsd card in it! !!
Lucky!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
If you look at the top of the page, this is how he knows that.
that message hasnt been updated in ages. From what i understand nooks that come from store with 1.5 no longer have the vulnerability allowing to root via router/dns trick that worked with 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1241202
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
frankfrank

so...

So, I'm not sure which set of instructions to follow. I'm guessing my Nook doesn't have the "new hardware", but it did come pre-loaded with 1.5.

http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan

applies to "Pre-loaded with firmware version 1.4.1, 1.4.2 or 1.4.3" or those "Currently on any firmware revision (1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3, 1.5.0)"

http://nookdevs.com/New_Hardware_Revision

(referenced above) states "If [your Nook] comes preloaded with 1.4.1 or greater, it is almost certainly NOT rootable."

If someone can point to me what will work with a 10023 refurb pre-loaded with 1.5, I'll take it from there! I just don't want to mess my Nook up!

Thanks again for any advice you guys can shed!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
You no longer can go by what is posted on the nookdev site. It is seriously out of date. There have been nooks with 1.4.3 firmware that have had the older socket chip, and once you have 1.5, there is no way short of removing the back to tell what chip is on the board.

If it was mine, I would wait until nookdev updates their info. 1.5 is worth it and 2.5.1 has multiple bugs which can be frustrating for a new softrooter. In the mean time, consider removing the back to see what you have.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I thoight 1.5 was rootable on the serial numbers 1002 or less. Just follow the same steps as 1.4, but I'm not 100% positive. But I do have a 1.5 rooted, and have seen no bugs so far.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
You no longer can go by what is posted on the nookdev site. It is seriously out of date. There have been nooks with 1.4.3 firmware that have had the older socket chip, and once you have 1.5, there is no way short of removing the back to tell what chip is on the board.

If it was mine, I would wait until nookdev updates their info. 1.5 is worth it and 2.5.1 has multiple bugs which can be frustrating for a new softrooter. In the mean time, consider removing the back to see what you have.
I agree with chas0039. I would wait since your nook came with 1.5 installed by b&n. You most likely wont be able to pull the router/dns hack (you can try though) and downgrade to 1.0.0 will most likely brick your nook (that i would not try, since I saw mixed reports whether it can be unbricked).
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
jmbrowning
Nook 3G SN100227 FW1.4.3
jmbrowning began at the beginning.

Device: Nook refurb FTW!
Firmware is not a reliable indicator of rootability

Don't rely on the firmware number to determine how to root your Nook.

I went the old-fashioned way and popped the back out to confirm a socketed uSD card. I think the serial number is the way to go with these refurb machines.
jmbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Kolfe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Enter the site and search a little...

I have a rooted nook with new hardware and 1.5 fw done with what's specified here :

Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Kolfe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
So, I'm not sure which set of instructions to follow. I'm guessing my Nook doesn't have the "new hardware", but it did come pre-loaded with 1.5.

applies to "Pre-loaded with firmware version 1.4.1, 1.4.2 or 1.4.3" or those "Currently on any firmware revision (1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3, 1.5.0)"

http://nookdevs.com/New_Hardware_Revision

(referenced above) states "If [your Nook] comes preloaded with 1.4.1 or greater, it is almost certainly NOT rootable."

If someone can point to me what will work with a 10023 refurb pre-loaded with 1.5, I'll take it from there! I just don't want to mess my Nook up!

Thanks again for any advice you guys can shed!
My recomendation is that you try following http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan.

It is very probable that your nook had a lesser firm and was just updated to 1.5 before you received.

You can try restoring your nook to the original firmware following these steps :

Downgrade from 1.5 to stock firmware

Disregard this step if you are on 1.4.X firmware
This is CONFIRMED TO WORK ON MOST DEVICES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY 1.4.X

1. Remove your account attached to the device.
2. Make sure you have no possible wifi connection
* Unplug wireless router
* Remove password to wifi connections (factory reset is nice for that)
* Run far from public access points (wifi without passwords)
3. Do a Hard Reset
* Hold the power button for 12 seconds, release for 1 second and repeat 6 times
o On the 4th second the screen will flash from white to black (or just become black and then darker and darker each time)
* With a wireless connection, it would just connect to B&N and apply 1.5 again
4. Wait for your Nook to re-install it's own system again
5. Enjoy your 1.4.X nook