Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 02:18 AM   #256
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
5.8.11 default values for FONT_RAMP for 300 dpi screens:

6.96 7.92 8.4 9.36 10.56 11.52 12.48 13.92 15.36 17.04 19.2 22.08 25.2 29.28
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #257
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Pjama-
If you side-load your AZW3 from Calibre you can have both covers and boldness slider as well as hyphens (if you want them). I have not found a way to accomplish this when sending through Amazon.
I am in the same boat. Side load with covers and no whispersync or use email and get whispersync without covers.

Last edited by radamo; 10-28-2017 at 06:29 AM.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #258
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
I have a PW3 with the 5.8.11 update and there isn’t a slider for bold or size under font. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #259
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Thanks, but I wasn't using Calibre for this file, it came from my Amazon account. That's strange, isn't it?
Yes, most likely a problem with that book on Amazon's end.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #260
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
I have a PW3 with the 5.8.11 update and there isn’t a slider for bold or size under font. Am I missing something?

Mine has bars you tap for size & Boldness.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #261
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, most likely a problem with that book on Amazon's end.
Thanks, I checked with Amazon, and they are working on a fix for this, should be done in a couple of days.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #262
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post

You might not see this for a side-loaded book (although I think you would still see a slider for size after the update, so that's strange).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #263
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Thanks, I checked with Amazon, and they are working on a fix for this, should be done in a couple of days.

Thanks
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #264
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I finally got around to manually installing this latest update. I really like that boldness slider! I can fine-tune things much better for my eyes. Dropped the font size one, set boldness to 3 (yea, pretty bold), but that's what works best for my eyes at the moment. Broke my regular glasses (that have bifocals) and I've been using my piano glasses as a substitute. They're not quite good enough for reading comfortably (piano music focus being farther away than reading a novel), but they're better than nothing. Adding boldness to the Kindle text is a wonderful thing for my (temporary) non-bifocal predicament.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #265
lynnux
lynnux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post

How do I add the new numbers? When I plug my Kindle into a computer, I don't see any 'font' file that would be replaced by a new one. Is it hidden?
lynnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #266
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnux View Post
How do I add the new numbers? When I plug my Kindle into a computer, I don't see any 'font' file that would be replaced by a new one. Is it hidden?
Default values are built into the firmware. You should create new FONT_RAMP file with your values.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #267
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post

Excellent! How did you figure this out?

ETA: Oh wait, I see shamanNS posted it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnux View Post
As hius07 notes, you need to create your own file:

1. Create a plain text file and name it FONT_RAMP. Delete any extension if one is created. (You'll need a plain text editor to do this.)

2. Type in 14 values of your choice. (Start with the default values and adjust up or down to your taste.) The file should contain only 14 numbers, nothing else.

3. Connect Kindle to computer via USB and copy into root directory (i.e., don't put it in any of the existing folders; just drop it into the main directory).

4. Restart Kindle.

Last edited by odamizu; 10-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #268
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's perfectly safe to update manually. Download the file, copy it over, and choose update your kindle from settings screen. It will not let you update if you have the wrong file.
OK. Thanks Barry! I will try it! k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #269
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
I love the bold control; the one thing I would still very much like to have is the option to increase line spacing without having to make adjustments in Calibre.

One thing that's strange though for both my PW3 and K7 after the update is that I'm unable to access my wishlist directly from the device. Has anyone experienced this as well? It's a small but nevertheless annoying issue.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #270
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
I love the bold control; the one thing I would still very much like to have is the option to increase line spacing without having to make adjustments in Calibre.

One thing that's strange though for both my PW3 and K7 after the update is that I'm unable to access my wishlist directly from the device. Has anyone experienced this as well? It's a small but nevertheless annoying issue.
Ah, man, I hadn't even noticed. That is not good as I am a heavy wishlist user. Its how I grab my next KU read. Its still there in the menu, but it won't go anywhere. Just stays in the store. They must have broken the link somehow. That is too bad.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp