Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
Naenyn
Naenyn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Accessing Calibre running SSL via HTTP breaks the server

Hello!

I recently got myself a cert and have been working to secure the various services I run, one of those being Calibre. I added my cert/key to Calibre and everything works great when accessed from a browser via https. However, if I try to hit the server afterwards via http, I get the following:

Code:
Error in ServerLoop.tick
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 460, in serve
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 518, in tick
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 273, in drain_ssl_buffer
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 83, in recv_from
  File "ssl.py", line 771, in recv_into
  File "ssl.py", line 641, in read
SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:1754)
After that, the server becomes unresponsive via https or http. I have to bounce it to get things working again.

Any idea what is wrong?

Edit: btw, I'm running Calibre 3.18.0 on Ubuntu 17.10.

Last edited by Naenyn; 03-07-2018 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Adding versions
Naenyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That should take care of it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f175fdad2a1384
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Naenyn

Great! That was a speedy fix.

So do I just wait for the next build, 3.19.0?
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #4
Naenyn

Just wanted to follow up on this. The fix works! I can get in to my Calibre via https after having attempted via http.

Thanks again for the quick turnaround!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome
Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Naenyn

A followup question to this. When I try to hit Calibre from within my LAN, it works fine from a browser, but from the reader app I'm using on my iPad, I get the following error in Calibre:

Code:
calibre server listening on :::18243:0:0
Unhandled exception in state: State: do_ssl_handshake Client: ::ffff:192.168.1.213:63445 Request: WebSocketConnection
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 569, in tick
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 177, in do_ssl_handshake
SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:590)
Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naenyn View Post
A followup question to this. When I try to hit Calibre from within my LAN, it works fine from a browser, but from the reader app I'm using on my iPad, I get the following error in Calibre:

Code:
calibre server listening on :::18243:0:0
Unhandled exception in state: State: do_ssl_handshake Client: ::ffff:192.168.1.213:63445 Request: WebSocketConnection
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 569, in tick
  File "site-packages/calibre/srv/loop.py", line 177, in do_ssl_handshake
SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:590)
Any ideas?
In your app on the Ipad use /mobile after the port#

i.e. 192.168.1.2:8080/mobile

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 03-18-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: make mor clear
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Naenyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
In your app on the Ipad use /mobile after the port#

i.e. 192.168.1.2:8080/mobile

bernie
I appreciate the response. However, I don't believe this is the problem. My iPad app uses opds. If I disable SSL, I can hit calibre fine from the iPad app (WAN or LAN). If I enable SSL, I can hit calibre fine from a web browser at the appropriate url & port on both my LAN and WAN. However, the app I'm using errors and calibre complains in the log as I described above. At this point, I'm thinking that the app I'm using may not work properly with secure connections, but there's definitely a little weirdness in calibre, too (the unhandled exception).
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naenyn View Post
I appreciate the response. However, I don't believe this is the problem. My iPad app uses opds. If I disable SSL, I can hit calibre fine from the iPad app (WAN or LAN). If I enable SSL, I can hit calibre fine from a web browser at the appropriate url & port on both my LAN and WAN. However, the app I'm using errors and calibre complains in the log as I described above. At this point, I'm thinking that the app I'm using may not work properly with secure connections, but there's definitely a little weirdness in calibre, too (the unhandled exception).
Your app does not support ssl, I have seen this in android reader apps--one worked with ssl, one did not. I was using a self sign cert.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Naenyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Your app does not support ssl, I have seen this in android reader apps--one worked with ssl, one did not. I was using a self sign cert.
Yep that's definitely the problem. I tried with a different app on my old android tablet and it works great. Emailed the developer of the iPad app to ask about SSL support.

In the meantime, I still think it'd be worth investigating that unhanded exception I posted about.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The unhandled exception is perfectly normal, that's how error handling in the server works. The exception is logged and the connection closed.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Naenyn

Fair enough, thanks for explaining! Glad there isn't another bug.

As a Java dev, I'm just used to catching/handling stuff like that. Was worried this was going unhandled, but sounds like you've got it under control.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the exception is caught in the server as well, it's just logged using a generic logging mechanism because I haven't bothered to special case the handling of that particular exception.

Tags
ssl