Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #226
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnClif View Post
(IMO) Amazon didn't choose EDGE because the data rate would make downloading a book painful, and Amazon envisioned that downloading data via the modem would be something that happens alot... especially if customers are buying lots of books!
I have to respectfully disagree, John. With EDGE you can get a data rate of 200-300kbits, which is plenty enough for downloading books. 200kbit/sec is approximately 20kbytes/sec, which will download a 300kb book (a typical size) in 15 seconds. Nobody is in such a hurry, I'm sure, that they'd worry about whether it takes 5sec or 15sec to download a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #227
phuocle
phuocle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, why on Earth they made the Kindle use the US-specific EVDO service rather than the world-wide EDGE system (ie GSM-based) is a mystery that I just can't fathom. It seems like a very short-sighted design decision.
Oh come on Harry! Surely if you think hard enough you can fathom a reason why. I would say that the operators of the EDGE system simply did not provide Amazon with a deal that made business sense. Amazon is a business... and they seem to be a pretty successful business. They can only stay that way by doing things that make business sense.

This means that if they only capture the North American market, then so be it. I'm sure that they ran numerous models and projections on what would make the Kindle a success in their eyes and felt that this would work.
phuocle is offline   Reply With Quote