Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Arrow Leave Current Page on Screen on Power Off/Standby

The whole point of E-Ink is that it costs no energy to hold screen state so I've never understood why no device out there allows users to hold whatever is on screen during device stand-by / power off mode.

Is there some technical reason why this has never been done? Is it some conspiracy by Paper Companies to stay in business or something?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
Arjava
Arjava began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
The whole point of E-Ink is that it costs no energy to hold screen state so I've never understood why no device out there allows users to hold whatever is on screen during device stand-by / power off mode.

Is there some technical reason why this has never been done? Is it some conspiracy by Paper Companies to stay in business or something?
My Jing Page X does,but that company went out of business,I think.
Arjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Mostly likely because they were gotten rid of by Big Paper for not playing ball��

Last edited by jessie102; 10-25-2019 at 09:41 AM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I have that function on the eink side of my Hisense A2 Pro phone from what I remember.

However, on an Onyx ereader, you could always take a screenshot of any page and then save that screenshot as your sleep or power off screen. A bit of a cumbersome work around, but it works.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Koreader app (I use it in Kobo Aura One for pdf/djvu/comics) holds the last page read + shows the label "sleeping" in the middle of the screen.

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-25-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Koreader app (I use it in Kobo Aura One for pdf/djvu/comics) holds the last page read + shows the label "sleeping" in the middle of the screen.
Have not figured out how to do this with koreader on the Nova Pro.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Have not figured out how to do this with koreader on the Nova Pro.
In my koreader version the screensaver options are under:

wheel>screen>screensaver

Available options are:

-use last book's cover as screensaver
-use book status as screensaver
-use random image from folder as screensaver
-use image as screensaver
-use message as screensaver
-leave screen as it is

and there is also an additional Settings button below, to change/insert the shown message, screensaver folder, screensaver image etc.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/4113

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...-saver-options

"leave screen as it is" option is what OP jessie102 have been asking for (the last page read without any additional message label shown thereon).

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-26-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
In my koreader version the screensaver options are under:

wheel>screen>screensaver ....

"leave screen as it is" option is what you've been asking for (the last page read without any additional message label shown thereon).
Thanks, but the Android version is different.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Pocketbook 360 and 360+ had the capability built into its fbreader.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
As an alternative to "sleep" you could disable the touchscreen instead. This is possible on any android ereader like the boox series. This has the benefit that you can change page with the volume or page turn buttons while it's "off" (edit - but the downside that it needs powering off and on to reenable the screen, save for less reliable methods). I use Argos Touch Blocker to do this on my A2 Pro and Likebook Mimas.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 12-18-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:04 AM   #11
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I wanted to update this (since this is the first hit when searching "onyx screensaver current page") by writing that all Onyx e-readers with at least firmware v2.3.1 can do that!

go to Apps -- Screensaver -- Screensaver style to choose "Transparent Screensaver" to apply.

https://help.boox.com/hc/en-us/commu...wer-off-screen
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:19 AM   #12
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Why will there never be ATMs with e-ink screens?
Because the PIN of the previous user would still be visible
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:23 PM   #13
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
Go to Apps -- Screensaver -- Screensaver style to choose "Transparent Screensaver" to apply.
I don't use much Onyx stuff so I can't see this setting. My sleep images are in /data/local/assets/images/standby-1.png. They are stored in landscape mode.

I tried putting in a transparent PNG with "Sleep" stamped across the middle. It does show fine, but the screen does a full white wipe before displaying.

Obviously there is some setting that disables that wipe before sleeping.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:38 AM   #14
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't use much Onyx stuff so I can't see this setting.
Imp - You should have four options 1. Image Screensaver 2. Calender Screensaver 3. Clock Screensaver AND 4. Transparent Screensaver. You don't have to fiddle around with transparent pngs.

Are you sure you have the latest firmware? Else maybe send a feedback to Onyx about this bug.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, if you do:
Code:
# pm disable com.onyx
You'll find that a lot of Onyx stuff is gone and it approaches more stock Android.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote