Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
ChrisChris3
ChrisChris3 began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Question Editor not syncing preview?

Hi there, I'm running the latest version of Calibre (3.48) and attempting to edit an ebook in the epub format.

I have "sync to preview" activated, but the editor preview will not sync to anywhere near the same position. This results in a drastically higher time commitment in editing because I must manually find my place again in the chapter every time I make a small change.

Is there any way to fix this so that it correctly syncs to the preview?

Thanks
ChrisChris3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Version 3.48 codeview/preview synch is working here on Windows 10 Pro - both ways.

But I can't find any "sync to preview" option, I thought it was automatic - i.e no opt-in/out.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did you accidentally click the Green Triangle that points to the right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	173521  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@ phossler

Quote:
Did you accidentally click the Green Triangle that points to the right?
It is not green nor a triangle in my version of Calibre, but I never noticed that dangerous little widget! Easy to click in its position like that. Do you know why anyone would turn off syncing of preview with editor?

Visually, the relative lack of distinction between the on/off positions could also contribute to not even realizing an accidental click happened. It is a button with maybe an up/down position, but no label, like with a checkbox...

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 09-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
It is not green nor a triangle in my version of Calibre, but I never noticed that dangerous little widget! Easy to click in its position like that. Do you know why anyone would turn off syncing of preview with editor?
Because you are trying to work out why a bit of code works but the exact same thing elsewhere doesn't. Or because you are updating text somewhere and want to see what is written elsewhere to make sure you get it right. I don't turn it off very often, but I have done it for both of these reasons.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
Visually, the relative lack of distinction between the on/off positions could also contribute to not even realizing an accidental click happened. It is a button with maybe an up/down position, but no label, like with a checkbox...

I'd prefer a "Toolbox" button similar to the Layout button in the main window status line. I don't use the Preview window buttons often enough to remember what they do, and I also have problems with hovering the mouse. In case anyone's forgotten, I'm talking about this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-18 132405.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	173528

There's a check box in Look & Feel to show individual buttons.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2019 at 11:35 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Quote:
I don't turn it off very often, but I have done it for both of these reasons.
Come to think of it, there *have* been plenty of times where I am editing code and the Preview window snaps upwards a little bit, hiding precisely the place I need to see. So the key is remembering that Calibre has the feature — and remembering to immediately turn sync back on when I am finished fidgeting with code. That will be the hard part...

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 09-18-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
ChrisChris3

Unfortunately it appears that clicking the green triangle is not always a fix.

About a third of the time this works, but then the editor will once again lose its place several edits later, and clicking the triangle again will not resync.

it's puzzling, restarting Calibre and /or the editor doesn't appear to help either
Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I suggest you try the new beta, the preview panel has been completely rewritten in that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
ChrisChris3

Tried the new beta.

The behavior of the preview window is altered - Instead of resetting to the beginning or end of the chapter, it now defaults to a place halfway through.

Clicking on the preview window will sync the editor to the preview position, but the reverse doesn't seem to be true.

Currently my workaround is to search a semi-rare word in the paragraph I'm currently working on and to avoid clicking on the preview pane, as this will cause me to lose my place in the editor.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the beta editor, does 100% give a full screen image in the preview window?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChris3 View Post
Tried the new beta.

The behavior of the preview window is altered - Instead of resetting to the beginning or end of the chapter, it now defaults to a place halfway through.

Clicking on the preview window will sync the editor to the preview position, but the reverse doesn't seem to be true.

Currently my workaround is to search a semi-rare word in the paragraph I'm currently working on and to avoid clicking on the preview pane, as this will cause me to lose my place in the editor.
Then I am going to need some way to reproduce the issue. A sample book that shows it, a set of steps, etc.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote