Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
Perfect solution: Kindle Browser open links in same window

I found a Chinese guy announced his perfect solution to let browser open links in same window. here is the link:

http://hi.baidu.com/44670/blog/item/...ea9018eb1.html
or
http://bbs.mydoo.cn/thread-22056-1-1.html?sid=B5U9Id

The idea is just replace the file /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 with his patched version.
I post it here with my translation:

------------
要使用这个补丁,需要:
Requirement:

1.越狱
1. Jailbroken

2.安装usbnetwork,并能够通过winSCP等工具连接至kindle替换系统文件。
2. usbNetwork hack

3.是kindle 3,并且系统版本是3.1
3. Just for Kindle 3, firmware 3.1 (My Comment: it works on my DXG with K3 firmware installed)

手动替换步骤:
Steps:

1.从下面的链接里下载,并解压缩
1. Get the patch file from below and uncompress it, then you will get a file named libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0:

http://u.115.com/file/bhnxmx7n

2.备份kindle中的/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 强烈建议,以便出现问题时有办法恢复,升级固件时,也需恢复原文件
2. backup your original /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 file.

3.将压缩包里的libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0文件复制到/usr/lib下,并替换原文件
3. Replace file /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 in your kindle with the file you just get in step 1

4.重启
4. Restart your Kindle
--------------

Last edited by liuto; 05-30-2011 at 01:01 AM.
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Thank you! I was going to do something like this, but never got the time.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Don't work with m.gmail.com
Not perfect
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by proDOOMman View Post
Don't work with m.gmail.com
Not perfect
I tried gmail on my hand, it do work very well...
what do you get with gmail?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
I tried gmail on my hand, it do work very well...
what do you get with gmail?
I can't open any mail from inbox folder. I click on message title, but nothing happens
Did you try mobile version of gmail?
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by proDOOMman View Post
I can't open any mail from inbox folder. I click on message title, but nothing happens
Did you try mobile version of gmail?
Yes, I tried both mobile and desktop version of gmail... it opened mail.
I saw it is in 'Basic HTML' mode...

But yes, I met one time when I press back button, at that time I saw the screen only display inbox mails with large line space, no sidebar, in this case I cannot open mail... but when you press 'back' button again and got it into 'basic HTML' mode, it works again.

BTW, Does this exist before you applied the patch?

Last edited by liuto; 05-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I took a look at how his "patch" worked. He replaced all instances of "_blank" and "target" with random stuff like "xxxxx" and "tbrget". This will allow most new windows to open, but anything that opens new windows in another method or using javascript won't be affected. There might also be unintended side effects, but I'm just guessing. The better way of doing it would be to look for the source file that handles opening new window in the Webkit WebCore source and make it return without a new window and recompile it. This will take a long time to set up though because you also need to cross-compile stuff like fb and libcurl. This will have to do for now.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
So I took a look at how his "patch" worked. He replaced all instances of "_blank" and "target" with random stuff like "xxxxx" and "tbrget". This will allow most new windows to open, but anything that opens new windows in another method or using javascript won't be affected. There might also be unintended side effects, but I'm just guessing. The better way of doing it would be to look for the source file that handles opening new window in the Webkit WebCore source and make it return without a new window and recompile it. This will take a long time to set up though because you also need to cross-compile stuff like fb and libcurl. This will have to do for now.
I guess Amazon modified the Webkit source code and they do not open the changes, not very sure about this. I just downloaded the Amazon source code tar-ball but did not get chance to look into it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
I guess Amazon modified the Webkit source code and they do not open the changes, not very sure about this. I just downloaded the Amazon source code tar-ball but did not get chance to look into it.
They didn't need to make any changes. libwebkit is the backend that handles everything. browserd is the middle man that gets the web pages and renders them onto the screen. the brower kindlet is the frontend that sends urls and stuff to browserd. The Kindle specific stuff are in browserd and the kindlet.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
They didn't need to make any changes. libwebkit is the backend that handles everything. browserd is the middle man that gets the web pages and renders them onto the screen. the brower kindlet is the frontend that sends urls and stuff to browserd. The Kindle specific stuff are in browserd and the kindlet.
Great! thanks for your information... I will take look at it when I have free time:-)
But now, you know I am happy with your 3.1 firmware. lol

Last edited by liuto; 05-30-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Quote:
Yes, I tried both mobile and desktop version of gmail... it opened mail.
I saw it is in 'Basic HTML' mode...
I have the same problem, but it only happens in the new mobile version, not in the HTML mode.

Which is a pitty, because the new mobile version is much neater, but the old html version has an html preview for attachments, which is also handy - you can read all sorts of documents that way (PDF, DOC, XLS, what not...)
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
link is dead:http://u.115.com/file/bhnxmx7n
does anybody has this file?
any further development?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Does this work on firmware version 3.3?
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
la8989
la8989 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:

3.将压缩包里的libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0文件复制到/usr/lib下,并替换原文件
3. Replace file /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 in your kindle with the file you just get in step 1

4.重启
4. Restart your Kindle
--------------
i couldn't find directory /usr/lib/ in my kindle keyboard 3g, help me please
la8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by la8989 View Post
i couldn't find directory /usr/lib/ in my kindle keyboard 3g, help me please
Just how are you looking for it?
I.E: What have you done?
- - - -
K3-V3.2.1 it certainly looks like the directory is there to me (although not that version of libwebkit - directions must be for another model and/or firmware version):
Note: Check the date (year) of the original post.

Code:
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libwebkit*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       25 2011-12-15 01:23 /usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0 -> libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.7.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22085280 2011-12-15 01:25 /usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.7.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       25 2011-12-15 01:23 /usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0 -> libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0.7.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22081120 2011-12-15 01:27 /usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0.7.3
Note:
Directions presume you can access (see) the entire filesystem.
Such as when you are logged in over ssh or using the operator's serial console port.
What you (normally) see over the USB connection IS NOT the root of the Kindle's file system.

Last edited by knc1; 05-26-2012 at 12:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote