Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #33916
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Somewhere recently I saw a picture of a pack of bananas where each banana was at a different degree of ripeness. The idea was you would eat the ripest one each day.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #33917
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've taken to buying frozen berries - they come in resealable pouches so I can pour out the amount I want to thaw and eat, then put the rest back in the freezer. Not the same as eating truly fresh fruit, but not bad.
Pre covid I would often buy Serbian frozen berries, highly recommended if you can find them. But they, like much else, have disappeared from the shelves.

For a while I couldn't find Mirin, then one day I asked a shelf stacker if he'd hidden it, he took me to a shelf that had three brands I didn't know they had a Japanese shelf, my usual brand lived in the health food section.

My neighbours give me lots of food, one has taken to bringing me a bowl of porridge and fruit every morning, another two (mother and daughter-in-law) give me Lebanese food and the lady next door is Vietnamese. If I'm not careful, the food I buy doesn't get cooked and I have to throw it away.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #33918
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Arrgh! People! Facebook! This is twice in a week two different family acquaintances have made themselves obnoxious on my FB, acting like a post was directed at them when it wasn't! I wasn't "vague-booking," either, so that's not an excuse. If you aren't doing the behaviour I am complaining about and/or I didn't ask you if you wanted to buy my marketplace item, and I didn't tag you/PM you, the post is not about you!

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 09-16-2020 at 01:15 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #33919
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Arrgh! People! Facebook! This is twice in a week teo different family acquaintances have made themselves obnoxious on my FB, acting like a post was directed at them when it wasn't! I wasn't "vague-booking," either, so that's not an excuse. If you aren't doing the behaviour I am complaining about and/or I didn't ask you if you wanted to buy my marketplace item, and I didn't tag you/PM you, the post is not about you!
Yeah. My mother apparently gets all "friended" posts emailed to her (you can DO that??). Then she had trouble understanding that my political posts were not to her specifically. She eventually had me do an "unfriend" from her account to mine (while I was at her place) and now doesn't see any of my posts.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #33920
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah. My mother apparently gets all "friended" posts emailed to her (you can DO that??). Then she had trouble understanding that my political posts were not to her specifically. She eventually had me do an "unfriend" from her account to mine (while I was at her place) and now doesn't see any of my posts.
Social media is going to be the end of civilization as we know it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #33921
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Including MobileRead???
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #33922
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
One of the restaurants around the corner has a yard, almost neighboring ours. They keep their bins and recycling containers in that yard. Every once in a while one of the employees realizes that they can fit more in the glass bin when they smash the bottles. Which they proceed to do between 1 and 2 am. Despite the sign the owner put up in near the back door telling them not to do this. It's been happening since Sunday (luckily they're closed on Monday).

The owner is there usually during the day, so I'll drop by tomorrow to let him know the smashing is happening again.

Tonight I'll put in my earplugs, I can still hear it when I'm awake, but if I'm asleep I'll sleep through it. The joys of living in a city center.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #33923
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Recycling centers generally don't want smashed glass, either. They usually have to sort through things, and (a) can't if it's just shards and (b) if humans are doing the sorting, it's dangerous for them.

I think.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #33924
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Recycling centers generally don't want smashed glass, either. They usually have to sort through things, and (a) can't if it's just shards and (b) if humans are doing the sorting, it's dangerous for them.

I think.
I looked into it. Because I know that in the past the cafés and restaurants had different bins for coloured glass and clear glass, but I don't think they have that anymore. The same goes for the neighbourhood underground recycling bins used by households. We used to have a bin for coloured glass and one for clear glass. Now there's only one bin.

It seems that some city councils still collect glass separately, then the clear glass can be recycled into new clear glass and the coloured glass into new coloured glass. But other councils, apparently ours, don't do that anymore and all the glass is recycled into new coloured glass.

Most of the glass in the bins for households ends up in shards, those bins are deep so the glass you throw into it usually breaks.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #33925
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
When you suction out the air, do you get the ubiquitous rolls the size of a pair of dice effect?
The plastic wrap I use is very good and very clingy, so I wrap the rolls first. I don't use a food saver type vacuum when I suck the air out, just my own inhale, so it doesn't compress the rolls.

Between the good plastic wrap and the ziplock freezer bag, they are protected well. I try to use them up within 2 months, so they aren't in the freezer too long.

I have a food saver, but it's a hassle to get it from the basement every time I want to freeze something. When we buy 15 pounds of blueberries in the spring, I use it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #33926
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I have a food saver, but it's a hassle to get it from the basement every time I want to freeze something. When we buy 15 pounds of blueberries in the spring, I use it.
In our recently remodeled kitchen (recall my vent and rant about the quartz countertop woman....) we have easier access to the Food Saver, so we use it more. But we also got one of those tiny little handheld units that work with the zip top bags. The bags are more expensive, but depending on what you put in them, they can be reusable, and we keep it on the counter and use it constantly. For example we keep our cheeses in those bags and reseal after each use.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #33927
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The plastic wrap I use is very good and very clingy, so I wrap the rolls first. I don't use a food saver type vacuum when I suck the air out, just my own inhale, so it doesn't compress the rolls.

Between the good plastic wrap and the ziplock freezer bag, they are protected well. I try to use them up within 2 months, so they aren't in the freezer too long.

I'm still surprised that you don't need paper, for prophylactically preventing the rime. I'm going to see if I can score some of that wrap you use. I am not able to wrap sans the paper, and when I've tried using paper wrapped with plastic, the vapor-barrier doesn't work well enough. Hmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
In our recently remodeled kitchen (recall my vent and rant about the quartz countertop woman....) we have easier access to the Food Saver, so we use it more. But we also got one of those tiny little handheld units that work with the zip top bags. The bags are more expensive, but depending on what you put in them, they can be reusable, and we keep it on the counter and use it constantly. For example we keep our cheeses in those bags and reseal after each use.
I use ours for small things all thetime; I buy my cheddar and other "better" cheeses in wheels and I live and die with the food saver for keeping those wheels, cut into smaller chunks.

How did you end up liking the Quartz countertops? I'm still dithering about what I want for my kitchen counters. With the shades in my kitchen/greatroom area I would almost be better off, color-wise, with usina a very boring dark brown granite, but...man. Everybody and their brother has that shade and it piques my inner individualist, lol.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:17 AM   #33928
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
We moved the foodsaver onto the countertop and don't regret it. We use it all the time, and it makes a huge difference in how well things keep.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:31 AM   #33929
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm now entering an order into the webshop of a supplier. For some reason I always have to log in twice in order to actually log in. Then I have to delete the previous order from the shopping cart. I can't just delete everything with one click, but I have to delete each item separately. I've already emailed them about this glitch and suggested they add an option to delete multiple or all items in the shopping cart at once.

It wouldn't be too bad if we only order a couple of items from them each time. But we usually order 25+ different items each time. And the cart takes a bit to refresh after a delete. It almost takes as much time clearing the cart than making a new order.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 AM   #33930
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have a broken (right-hand) wrist with a splint on it and cannot open one prescription that has a "child-proof" cap. It should open by pushing down and left, but it needs help from my right hand. I just called CVS to ask if I could bring it back and have them open it and put into an easy-open bottle. Famotadine, which is an acid reducer and saved me last March from bedtime chest pain.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness