Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
woodfairie
woodfairie began at the beginning.

Device: prs - 600
Don't buy a sony , especially from future shop !

I am so mad i am fuming , i bought a touchscreen prs 600 when they first came out, spent almost 400 dollars on this unit, which one day just decided to not turn on ( 6 months old ) i didn't keep the box , i didn't know i needed it , i did keep the receipt , however , sony says serial numbers are on the unit , guess what , mine was on the box , that i do not have or can't find , so now my 400 dollar paperweight is useless and future shop says it is sony's fault and sony says it is not under waranty because no serial number .

I will never buy another sony product again and i will tell whoever will listen about my experience with both of these companies.

So i don't know what you should buy , but i can definitely tell you what not to buy !!

Update

" Future shop has replaced the unit after numerous convo's, sony still refuses to do anything for me. "

Last edited by woodfairie; 09-17-2010 at 07:09 AM.
woodfairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Feel your pain, but why didn't you register it when you first received it?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
woodfairie

I am not sure to be honest , just didn't think about it ? Had faith that if anything happened i had my receipt and things would be fine ! ........ I had a repackaged item and i am not even 100 % sure if that paper was in it !
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I had a repackaged item, I'd have been back to the shop getting it exchanged for a new one ASAP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
There isn't a sticker on the back with the serial?

Does the serial number show up in the About screen? You might be able to find it there.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
There isn't a sticker on the back with the serial?

Does the serial number show up in the About screen? You might be able to find it there.
According to the OP that's unfeasible, as it won't turn on.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Something's not right here.

All my sonies pretty much had the SN laser etched onto the rear of the chasis. Sounds like you got a refurbished one, which doesn't make sense since you said you bought it brand new. It should have come in a pretty Sony box, with the serial number on the rear. There should have been several pieces of documentation, including the limited warranty. If they weren't there and you kept it after finding out that something wasn't right, that's your fault - not Sony's. Sorry bud.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
So it is still very important, to keep all packaging an dall ducuments, when spending 400$ for what ever...
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We need a mod to fix the title of this thread. It's not about not buying a Sony Reader. It's about not buying anything from Future Shop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Didn't look/sound like a Sony problem to me.
Personally didn't have any problems with my PRS reader bought from local dealers.

Maybe Future Shop has a problem with customer service.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, it seems unfair to bash SONY in the title. Like there aren't enough legitimate reasons to bash SONY...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
According to the OP that's unfeasible, as it won't turn on.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've had two PRS-600s. Both have had the serial number on a sticker on the back of the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
woodfairie

Ok , after spending numerous convo's with both future shop and sony , future shop tells me that sony is the one who didn't place the serial on the back of the unit , sony just has a standard reply that the unit has been tampered with ( because there is no serial number on it ) apparently future shop is going to launch an " investigation " into why this one unit didn't have a serial number as i certainly did not tamper with it in any way , it did come in it's box , as this was my 1st sony reader , i have no idea how i was supposed to know what documentation came with it , i am not psychic !! It did have the booklet telling how to use the sony reader that i do remember , future shop has replaced the unit with a new one albeit reluctantly and next time i will definitely be checking any new units to make sure they have a serial number and and/or keeping my box , however with the amount of products we buy , I have no idea how to keep all these boxes ? I am still very irked with sony if it wasn't for future shop i would still be out a reader and i still am not 100 % certain whose fault it was ?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Bad luck dude! =( Well at least you got it replaced. And usually I keep the packaging of new things for at least the time of the warranty as it's the best packaging to return things if you have to (had to send already a monitor and an external HDD). If you have the space, it's never wrong to keep the original packaging (unless you're a gadget junkie).
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote