Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Dibblah
Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 internals (FCC)

Kindle 3 - 3G + Wifi

Kindle 3 - Wifi only

Interestingly, from these pictures, both appear to contain exactly the same motherboard - Including the SIM socket. The only thing that is different is the mini-PCIe (at a guess) 3G card is not present in the Wifi only version - The antenna appears to be present, however.

Also, no internal unpopulated SD card slot, hardly any internal space spare.

1750mAh 3.7v Li-Ion cell.

Cheers,

Allan.
Dibblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Here are some pictures from partial Kindle 3 Disassembly.

Battery, 3G and WiFi components are clearly visible along with some other components.

It makes sense for Amazon to have exactly the same mobo in 3G + WiFi and WiFi only version as it makes development and support cheaper and manufacture more flexible. Amazon can balance their manufacture ratio between two models at the last moment to satisfy customer demand.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Here are some pictures from partial Kindle 3 Disassembly.
In this article you mention "how easy it is to remove Kindle 3 cover". I looked at mine and I just can't see anywhere to insert something to pry it open and I definitely don't want to mess up the finish. Can you enlighten us on what you used to remove the cover and exactly how you did this?
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Dibblah
Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Interesting picture - Thanks! Does anyone know what the port to the right of the board is, labelled J14?

Cheers,

Allan.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Just take a small flat screwdriver or a thin knife, insert it into the slit between front and back cover and start gently lifting the cover. Hinges will unlock one by one. Good place to start is on the side above "prev page" button and work your way around the case leaving sensitive area with all the connectors and buttons for the last.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
mdurham
mdurham began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblah View Post
1750mAh 3.7v Li-Ion cell.

Cheers,

Allan.
Thanks for the pics. I don't see "1750mAh 3.7v Li-Ion cell" where did you see this?
Cheers, Mike
mdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
It's actually LiPo, not Li-ion but it doesn't matter (currently) since you can't just go but them anyway.

Last edited by namebrandon; 08-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
mdurham

Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
It's actually LiPo, not Li-ion but it doesn't matter (currently) since you can't just go but them anyway.
Thanks for that namebrandon.
Cheers, Mike
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Dibblah

Interesting. The serial port appears to be fully accessible from the lighted case port.

Cheers,

Allan.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
mdurham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblah View Post
Interesting. The serial port appears to be fully accessible from the lighted case port.

Cheers,

Allan.
Which "serial port"? and what is "the lighted case port"?

Cheers. Mike
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
billgates
billgates began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Can anyone tell me or direct me to a site that shows how to remove the cover on the Amazon kindle / kindle 3 device
ethan 4 you at gmail dot com
thank you
ethan
billgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
The author correlates reduced battery load with longer life incorrectly. LiPo life is 3 - 5 years regardless of how many of the 300 -500 cycles are used.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
VICROAMER
Enthusiast
VICROAMER began at the beginning.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me or direct me to a site that shows how to remove the cover on the Amazon kindle / kindle 3 device
A video on this site shows disassembly if that helps.
http://hackaday.com/2010/09/03/eevbl...ts-a-kindle-3/
VICROAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
cm0nster
cm0nster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Does anyone have instructions to access the serial console? MY kindle is pretty screwed up
cm0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
Is it just me or are those photos horrible? I actually work as an electronics technician and have to take photos all of the time of incoming RMA units and I'd catch a ton of grief from our QA dept if my photos were that poorly exposed and that blurry lol. I'm also a photographer so maybe I'm just being picky.

I'm also curious about the serial port connector mentioned, I'm not seeing anything by the lighted cover ports. That'd be great if it is there though, always nice to have direct access if it comes to that.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote