Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle pdf support and dictionary

Hello people

Do you know if the new Kindle will support the dictionary function with personal pdf files?

Thanks a lot
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Yes.

This excerpt taken from the Kindle page at Amazon;

Improved, Built-In PDF Reader
Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle and read them anytime, anywhere. Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. You can also magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode, and zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan to easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Anarel
and one more question
Do you know if I can upload pdf files to my kindle by usb port?Or should I use the whispernet for sure

Thanks
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
Do you know if I can upload pdf files to my kindle by usb port?
Yes, from the manual:
Quote:
Connect the Kindle you want to receive the personal documents to your computer using the USB cable provided for that particular Kindle.
Open your Kindle drive. Transfer your personal documents from your computer desktop to your Kindle's "documents" folder.
Using your computer, eject your Kindle from your computer. The content you transferred should now appear in Home.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
With the WiFi version of the Kindle, there are now a few more possibilities for storage. With a relatively simple hack, you should be able to mount a web folder or network share and make it appear as local storage. Of course, this would only work in the presence of the WiFi connectivity. I came up with this idea a couple of years ago and even did a quick proof of concept. However, the 3G connection was very slow to make this implementation useful. Now with WiFi support, it would be usable.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you do use 'whispernet' for delivery of personal documents, you'll only be charged if it uses 3G for the download. WiFi delivery will be free.

In terms of PDF annotation, I hope that Amazon is leveraging the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK's annotation API's, so that the highlights and notes are saved back to the PDF file where they can be read by any PDF viewer, and so that existing PDF text highlights and 'sticky notes' can be viewed and edited (the current K2/DX implementation allows viewing of annotations, except for contents sticky notes, which just show an icon where the sticky note is placed). We'll know soon enough...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
In terms of PDF annotation, I hope that Amazon is leveraging the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK's annotation API's, so that the highlights and notes are saved back to the PDF file where they can be read by any PDF viewer, and so that existing PDF text highlights and 'sticky notes' can be viewed and edited (the current K2/DX implementation allows viewing of annotations, except for contents sticky notes, which just show an icon where the sticky note is placed). We'll know soon enough...
Agreed. Any improvement will be improvement, but I'm keeping my proverbial fingers crossed that they don't brick on the PDF improvements.

Any idea when owners of pre-K3 devices will get the upgrade? I couldn't google up any dates.
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
With the WiFi version of the Kindle, there are now a few more possibilities for storage. With a relatively simple hack, you should be able to mount a web folder or network share and make it appear as local storage. Of course, this would only work in the presence of the WiFi connectivity. I came up with this idea a couple of years ago and even did a quick proof of concept. However, the 3G connection was very slow to make this implementation useful. Now with WiFi support, it would be usable.
Doesn't Calibre have some sort of Web interface? I've never tried to use it but I would imagine folks here would know if it works well with the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I am interested to know if the Kindle 3 firmware has improved compatibility reading PDFs. The Kindle DX Graphite commonly says "some elements on the page could not be displayed" and will not show graphs or diagrams that are relevant to understanding the information discussed within the text.
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote