Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Save to Disk Function

I still haven't made sense of exactly what the Save to Disk function is for. Doesn't calibre do that automatically? When explaining, please keep in mind what I know about computers will just barely pay for my copy of calibre, so keep it very, very simple.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I still haven't made sense of exactly what the Save to Disk function is for. Doesn't calibre do that automatically? When explaining, please keep in mind what I know about computers will just barely pay for my copy of calibre, so keep it very, very simple.
If you don't have a e-reader that Calibre recognizes (like a Windows Mobile PDA), but still want to read books, you need to get them out of the Calibre database with the correct filename. Save to Disk does that. It's also used when you want to give a copy of a book to someone else.

I've never used the Send to Device function and for a long time wondered what it was for
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I'm waiting for the e-book readers to come down in price a bit and the quality improve before I shell out shekels for one (the large Sony's wouldn't be bad if they would fix that screen glare problem). I'm old and the old peepers aren't what they used to be.

I'm not likely to be giving out copies of books since most of mine are copywrited.

I saw something about saving in a flat folder format which would be useful if I ever decided to abandon calibre, not that that's likely. I'll have to experiment with that.

Other than that then apparently Save to Disk another function I ddon't need and can safely ignore.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I tend to think of the "Save To Disk" function as meaning "Export from Calibre database".
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Save to OTHER (connected) disk(s).

These may be your Device, a memory stick you want to give away (non-copyright violation, of course ) or a Backup storage device.
Not all devices transfer books the same way (or the way you want to do it)
My device (PEz) is fully supported by Calibre. Save to device does not offer the flexibility I want. (I save the Catalog and references to internal, all else to SD card), so I use Save To Disk.
I have done 2 things to make that easier: 1) I reserved drive letters P:,Q: for my device (Windows), 2)I Labeled the drive partitions so they are easy to locate.

Calibre works with just about anything you can connect.
Some features are not needed for your particular usage. Someone else may need that feature for their device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

I never intended to imply that the Save to Disk was of no use to anyone. It's just of no use to me (at this time, anyway).

I tried Save to Disk's save to a single directory function and it did work as expected only all files, the book itself, a cover, and, sometimes, and .opf (or something like that) were listed. I had though it might be useful for recovering my books in an easy to access format but I would have to wade through too many extra files for it to work that way. Again, it's easier for me to keep my original files all in their own little ol' folder. Besides, my original filenames include the ISBN since it would be a pain to have to open up a book to retrieve that info when needed.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-04-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Label change ?

To possibly avoid confusion about needing to SAVE books that have been added to Calibre.

Change the label from Save to Disk to Send to Disk or Copy to Disk.
my 2 cents
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

That would be more intuitive.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I tend to think of the "Save To Disk" function as meaning "Export from Calibre database".
I use this for transferring books from my device to the PC I am currently using to enable transfer to another device or for doing a manual backup of all the books on my device.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote