Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to do Table of Contents in Calibre?

Hi all,

Finally got my sony reader today and am loving it! Just had a quick query I was hoping someone could help with.

I had an ebook in rtf format and converted it to lrf in calibre. Use the autodetect TOC checkbox though no table of contents is created.

I was wondering if it's possible to create a TOC based on the occurance of a word followed by either a number 'chapter 1' or another word 'chapter one'. Could I then skip through chapters via the TOC for that book or do I have to keep skipping through until I catch up to where I am which is chapter 11 in this case?

I tend to read alot at work see so will most likely want a way to quickly catch up on my ebook and this is the only option I can think of as I couldn't find anyway to search.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Killian; 07-31-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Managed to find this thread Problem Generateing TOC and used the info within to generate this; //*[re:test(., "chapter", "i")]

Seems to have done the job aslong as I use epub. Am assuming you can't do it with lrf.

Not quite sure why but I'm getting 3 entries for each chapter in the newly generated TOC. Any ideas?
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably because that expression is matching 3 separate tags for each chapter entry
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Killian
Enthusiast

I did think that but having checked the html in the epub (one html file for each chapter) I can only see one tag. Was going to specify the class but Calibre puts all the classes as 'calibre2'. Will keep having a play about; not the end of the world though. Atleast it's working
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the source html not the final epub as the matching happens before the final epub is generated
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Killian
Enthusiast

The source file is rtf. Perhaps it would help if I first convert to html and go from there?

Edit: Can't see an option to convert to html so guess that's out the window. Is there any option to view the html that Calibre stores prior to converting to an epub?

Last edited by Killian; 07-31-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try converting the ePub to LRF and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can see the html if you run the conversion from the command line as follows

Code:
ebook-convert myfile.rtf .epub -vv --debug-input html_dir
The html will be stored in html_dir
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Killian
Enthusiast

Checked out the HTML using the above and it doesn't particularly make it any easier. All the tags are <p> and the class' are not unique in order to pull chapters from them.

Found out why it was giving me multiple one's though; I'd been putting the formula in the TOC menu as apposed to the Structure Detection menu. Took it out the TOC and overwrote the formala under the Structure Detection as //*[((name()='p') and re:test(., 'chapter', 'i'))].

It's worked perfectly for a few of my books though one of the books has the word 'chapter' amongst it's content and so that is also added as a bookmark. Is there anyway to filter out that particular entry? Tried using the TOC filter from the TOC menu but couldn't get my head around it.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Basically, you have to use the TOC filter
Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
Killian
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Basically, you have to use the TOC filter
lol.

Will have another bash at figuring it out later and post back here. The chapter is recorded as "hello eddie......" so will try to filter the toc based on "hello".
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Killian
Enthusiast

Doesn't start with hello after all. Starts "tut, tut. I've copied the contents re chapter detection from the Job Details. Any ideas how to filter it out?

Detecting structure...
Detected chapter: Chapter 1
Detected chapter: Chapter 2
Detected chapter: Chapter 3
Detected chapter: Chapter 4
Detected chapter: Chapter 5
Detected chapter: Chapter 6
Detected chapter: “Tut, tut — hardly any of you remembered that my f
Detected chapter: Chapter 7
Detected chapter: Chapter 8
Detected chapter: Chapter 9
Detected chapter: Chapter 10
Detected chapter: Chapter 11
Detected chapter: Chapter12
Detected chapter: Chapter 13
Detected chapter: Chapter 14
Detected chapter: Chapter 15
Detected chapter: Chapter 16
Detected chapter: Chapter 17
Detected chapter: Chapter 18
Auto generated TOC with 19 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use .*Tut.*
Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Killian
Enthusiast

Worked perfectly. Could I ask why there has to be the periods as there are no periods in the output from the job file? why is it not just *"tut*? Just for future reference?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that's the syntax of regular expressions.