Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying here. I bought a "free" book from Sony and I can redownload it anytime I want.
I believe he is saying he had a problem doing exactly that with one of his free books.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the book was only free for a limited time, this seems like quite an "acceptable" policy to me, I must say. It's the user's responsibility to keep a backup copy, not Sony's.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the book was only free for a limited time, this seems like quite an "acceptable" policy to me, I must say. It's the user's responsibility to keep a backup copy, not Sony's.

Yes, I would agree with you only if they would do these two things: Tell us and then remove the book.

1) They did not tell us
2) The book is still listed as downloadable.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I believe he is saying he had a problem doing exactly that with one of his free books.
1) The thread is about how Secret Vampire is no longer available, although it's still listed as being available - after all, it's still in one's library.

2) The thead is about the possibility of other free books no longer being available at some future time, and without any warning whatsoever from Sony.

3) The thread is about this possibly happening to you.

Don
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I've never relied on keeping books in the online Sony library. After getting them from there, I immediately copy them to my reader and then use calibre to copy them to my computer's hard drive. (Where I'm maintaining my own library of Sony lrf content as well as others.)

Is it common for people to rely solely on the online source for their media? (I know that Kindle keeps bought books at Amazon - but can't those also be copied over to your own storage?)

If I compare this to the real world, and I buy a book, I don't expect to be able to go back to the book store and have them hand me another copy if I lose the original or it gets damaged in some way. If that were to happen, and it were still available in the store, I'd either buy it again or, having read about it, not bother. (Or if my house burned down along with my personal library and I lost my couple of thousand print books.) I don't consider the concept of having an online store and being able to download another copy at any time as anything other than a "nice bonus". (Kind of like them providing a free backup service.) But if I really want to make sure that what I've bought and downloaded remains available to me, I'll store it and/or back it up myself.

Plus, this seems to only be one specific title - and nothing (so far) indicates that it has actually been "rescinded", just that there's some as yet unidentified problem with the entry for that book on their site / in their database. It doesn't sound like there's any reason to panic. Nor do I see any sign of this being a policy - it just looks more like a simple glitch.

Lastly, even if this were true (a policy I mean, not the glitch - which I believe) I don't think that it would bother me or that I'd care. I mean, it was a free book. Now, if I'd actually paid money for it - and there was a commitment that anything you bought was supposed to always remain online - that would be different.

Let me comment on only one idea:

If they (Amazon, Fictionwise, Sony) desires to keep an online library of your books - and they do - then those books should be freely available to you to download at any time and for whatever reason that you feel a need to download them.

Otherwise, they should discontinue the concept of an online library of your books - purchased or free.

Thanks,
Don
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
2) The thead is about the possibility of other free books no longer being available at some future time, and without any warning whatsoever from Sony.
Can this only happen to free books. Was this free book always free. I'm thinking it didn't have anything to do with it.

Does Sony guarantee that any book you buy will be available for redownload "forever"?

I think FW says they will make every attempt to keep your books, but only garunteed for a month or something like that.

Amazon says that purchased books will ALWAYS remain in your media library. As a matter of fact you CAN'T even remove them.

BOb

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The thread is about this possibly happening to you.
Nah, won't happen to me...I don't have a Sony

I also make sure to maintain multiple local backups of any ebooks I purchase, as I don't trust any ebook store to maintain downloadable copies for me forever.

But, yes, I understand your point and warning to others.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Nah, won't happen to me...I don't have a Sony

I also make sure to maintain multiple local backups of any ebooks I purchase, as I don't trust any ebook store to maintain downloadable copies for me forever.

But, yes, I understand your point and warning to others.

That's what I'll be doing from now on: Making redundancies and storing them in different locations, perhaps at my house and then a copy at your house.

don
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #24
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
While I see your frustration factor as legitimate, I guess I'm looking at it from a different point of view. I buy from digital scrapbooking stores all the time. They give you four or five downloads available for 30 days or so, and then that's it. However, this policy is clearly explained before you buy anything, so everyone is aware of it. A lot of the store owners will reset your download for you in the event of a major computer hardware problem, such as a hard drive crashing, but not all of them will do this. So I'm used to making multiple backups of anything in data form I buy online. Trusting your data, whether it be ebooks or scrap kits, to only one media device is just asking to lose stuff. The same with trusting any company online or off to store media for you for future use. The company can go bankrupt and the site disappear with no warning, their servers can crash, any number of things.
I'm not saying that Sony not having this available for you with no warning is the right thing to do, I think at the very least there should have been a clear dialogue when you bought it that it would not be available after such date and why. But protecting yourself with responsible backups is a sure way that even if such a thing happens to you again, you won't get burned by it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Does Sony guarantee that any book you buy will be available for redownload "forever"?
If it is called a a library I would have assumed that the books were available until this part of Sony went out of business. If I place a book in my library at home I do not expect it to suddenly disappear.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Can this only happen to free books. Was this free book always free. I'm thinking it didn't have anything to do with it.

I think FW says they will make every attempt to keep your books, but only garunteed for a month or something like that.

Amazon says that purchased books will ALWAYS remain in your media library. As a matter of fact you CAN'T even remove them.

BOb

BOb

Although, I had a long talk with Amazon about this exact point, and it's not true.

If a publisher decides to pull publication of the book, no matter that you purchased it in good faith, Amazon will pull it off their virtual shelves and out of your media library. They say they will offer refunds should this happen.

However, when I heard that, I started making triple redundant backups of all of my books. I don't like the idea that a publisher can decide to take my purchased book away from me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the info. I have single copy and backup. Will soon be grabbing jungledisk and backing up offsite (online) too. I will make sure to d/l and deDRM all my Kindle books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Although, I had a long talk with Amazon about this exact point, and it's not true.

If a publisher decides to pull publication of the book, no matter that you purchased it in good faith, Amazon will pull it off their virtual shelves and out of your media library. They say they will offer refunds should this happen.

However, when I heard that, I started making triple redundant backups of all of my books. I don't like the idea that a publisher can decide to take my purchased book away from me.
Although not quite the same thing, for those Sony readers who wanted The Savage Detectives, by Roberto Bolaño, can no longer buy it as it's no longer offered for sale from them.

I purchased the ebook when it became available. If one bought the ebook, then it's still in one's library. But if not, then you're out of luck - for the time being, anyway.

Don