Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Issue with libprs505

I have a problem with entering meta data in libprs500 - note talking about within the GUI.

Description of problem is as follows:
The author name shows as "Charles,Maturin" instead of "Maturin,Charles".

Why is it bizarre?
1) Because even if you type in "Maturin,Charles" then click OK it reverts back to "Charles,Maturin"!!!!......and.....
2) even if I use "Remove ebooks" (not detach the ebook file which leaves the record remaining) to delete the entire book record from the database and then run lrf-meta on a lrf version (generated from the .html using book designer) to make the author "Maturin,Charles" and author-sort "Maturin, Charles" and then use "Add books" the problem arises again - it reverts back to "Charles,Maturin"!!!!.

This is the ebook for reference
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700551h.html

My theories are (do not laugh kovid!):
1) Since this occurs only with one ebook and no other I believe it must be the ebook (2 computers have the same result also).
2) The ebook is made from a .html, does author data in this override the .lrf meta data when being read in using "add books"?
3) Does the .html corrupt the record in the database thereby not allowing saves to the record. This seems unlikely as I can add a cover image so the whole record is not locked.

General meta-data questions:
1) Anyone else want to comment on having the author as "Caesar,Julius" (no space) and the author-sort as "Caesar, Julius" (with a space)?
2) Does this way cause errors? Is there a better way for a Sony 505?
3) What way do you do and why?

Last edited by shousa; 02-06-2008 at 03:24 AM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
shousa
Groupie

Note the problem is fixed if use "Caesar,Julius" or "Maturin, Charles Robert" or even "AAAA".

It only did not work with "Maturin, Charles" - turning it into "Charles,Maturin"

Weird!
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's because libprs500 uses the comma to detect multiple author. So when you type Charles,Maturin it thinks there are two authors Charles and Maturin. Use a semicolon instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's because libprs500 uses the comma to detect multiple author. So when you type Charles,Maturin it thinks there are two authors Charles and Maturin. Use a semicolon instead.
Oh I see.....is it best to have no space eg "Caesar; Julius" for author and space eg "Caesar; Julius" for author-sort or is another way best?

Or in other words why is there no space with mobileread .lrfs for author?

Sorry for that....should be my last question however as everything else is sorted.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
alreds
alreds began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505LC, iPad2, iPhone5, Kindle KB, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire
Issue re-installing libprs500

Sorry if the following has been answered but I could not find anything on this. My problem is that I'm trying to reinstall libprs500 latest version but I get the following message:

Cannot start libprs500

Another program is using the database. Perhaps libprs500 is already running? If not try deleting the file f:\_prs505\.library1.db.lock
UNQUOTE

I have deleted such file, however keep getting the message and I'm not able to open the program. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
alreds
alreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
shousa
Groupie

If your problem still happens after a restart (shut-down of your computer) I would be surprised. I guess it happened after a crash.

Since it uses a database I believe you need to give it time to do certain operations eg saving records rather than just clicking away as fast as you can.

My experience is that just backing off a little = no crashes EVER.

Damn stable program IMHO.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
alreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
If your problem still happens after a restart (shut-down of your computer) I would be surprised. I guess it happened after a crash.

Since it uses a database I believe you need to give it time to do certain operations eg saving records rather than just clicking away as fast as you can.

My experience is that just backing off a little = no crashes EVER.

Damn stable program IMHO.
Thanks for responding; yes it does still happen even after re-starting.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Oh I see.....is it best to have no space eg "Caesar; Julius" for author and space eg "Caesar; Julius" for author-sort or is another way best?

Or in other words why is there no space with mobileread .lrfs for author?

Sorry for that....should be my last question however as everything else is sorted.
Shouldn't make a difference whether there is a space or not. Use whatever form you prefer.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreds View Post
Sorry if the following has been answered but I could not find anything on this. My problem is that I'm trying to reinstall libprs500 latest version but I get the following message:

Cannot start libprs500

Another program is using the database. Perhaps libprs500 is already running? If not try deleting the file f:\_prs505\.library1.db.lock
UNQUOTE

I have deleted such file, however keep getting the message and I'm not able to open the program. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
alreds
After you delete the file and start the program you get the message again and the file is recreated? How are you starting the program?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
alreds

Issue re-installing libprs500

Quote:
After you delete the file and start the program you get the message again and the file is recreated? How are you starting the program?
Yes I do get the message again and not able to open the program. Also, the file is not recreated and don't have it any longer. The way I try to open the program is double clicking the libprs500 icon that is created on the desktop.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Did you move the database file some time in the past using the config dialog?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
alreds

Quote:
Did you move the database file some time in the past using the config dialog?
No, did not do that.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

But then why is the database being created in f:\_prs505 ?? By efault it should be created under C:\Documents and Settings
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
alreds

Quote:
But then why is the database being created in f:\_prs505 ?? By efault it should be created under C:\Documents and Settings
I beg your pardon. Yes, I did move the database from the default location in C:\Documents and Settings to an external hard drive F:\_prs505. I did do this in order to keep my books separate in a dedicated drive. Then after some time I tried to move it back to C:\Documents and Settings (due to conflict with the drives since when I connected the Sony Reader this one tried to use drive F:\ as well), however the program did not allow me to move it back. Then is when I decided to re-install the program, but now I'm stuck not being allowed to start it and getting the message that I mentioned.

Sorry if I confused you but I wanted to walk you through what I did and hope you are able to advise.

BTW Kovid, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for you contribution to us the readers community with your great program.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Search the registry (using the program regedit) for "libprs500". One of the keys will contain a database path. Delete it and you should be fine.