Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Nook Simple Touch update 1.1.0 issue-Activity Reader

My Nook Simple touch did an auto update from v1.0.1 to v1.1.0.

Now, after the upgrade, I get a message "Activity Reader Not Responding: Wait/Force Close".

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I'm still in the Holiday Return time frame. But would love to get resolved. I do like the look/feel of the Nook Simple Touch.

More info below:

I originally bought the Nook Simple Touch to replace a print Study Bible. The print version was quite a large book (about 1500pp print) and was heavy to carry around. Plus, I liked being able to bookmark/highlight the ebook version (as we skip around quite a bit in class)

Another woman in our group had the Nook Simple Touch as well, and I really liked hers.

Using the Nook Simple Touch was great, and I had even bought one to give to my 7 year old for Christmas (He's an avid reader).

That all changed on Christmas Eve day 12/24. My NookSt received an auto update from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0.
Before the update, I really didn't have any issues( Just some ghosting which didn't bother me)

After the update to 1.1.0, the NookST would freeze and give me "Activity Reader Not Responding: Wait/Force Close" message. The Nook also became VERY slow

I spent alot of hours troubleshooting, posting/researching on boards, working with tech support, going into the BN store, etc to get my NookST to "work" again.
Tech support was not helpful. The Nook rep at BN exchanged my NookST for a new one. Worked fine. When he updated in store to 1.1.0., started getting the same message. "Activity Reader Not Responding".

When we asked the Nook manager, he said in a very curt tone that all Study Bibles were that way due to size. Luckily I had a second Nook Touch with 1.0.1 on it to show him that No, those issues weren't present with 1.0.1. He just walked off.

As you can see, my Nook experience has not been a good one. It's used alot of my time/energy and caused alot of stress (which makes my illness worse).
The most frustrating part, however, is that I was not able to give my 7 yr old son the NookSimpleTouch for his big Christmas present.
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Sorry to hear its been that way for you

I have a public domain Bible on my Nook Simple Touch and haven't had any issues. Maybe the trick here is to not allow it to auto update? I have the wireless on mine to save the battery. Hopefully it would prevent that too?
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineGal View Post

Now, after the upgrade, I get a message "Activity Reader Not Responding: Wait/Force Close".

I'm still in the Holiday Return time frame. But would love to get resolved. I do like the look/feel of the Nook Simple Touch.

More info below:

I originally bought the Nook Simple Touch to replace a print Study Bible. The print version was quite a large book (about 1500pp print) and was heavy to carry around. Plus, I liked being able to bookmark/highlight the ebook version (as we skip around quite a bit in class)

Another woman in our group had the Nook Simple Touch as well, and I really liked hers.

Using the Nook Simple Touch was great, and I had even bought one to give to my 7 year old for Christmas (He's an avid reader).

That all changed on Christmas Eve day 12/24. My NookSt received an auto update from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0.
Before the update, I really didn't have any issues( Just some ghosting which didn't bother me)

After the update to 1.1.0, the NookST would freeze and give me "Activity Reader Not Responding: Wait/Force Close" message. The Nook also became VERY slow

I spent alot of hours troubleshooting, posting/researching on boards, working with tech support, going into the BN store, etc to get my NookST to "work" again.
Tech support was not helpful. The Nook rep at BN exchanged my NookST for a new one. Worked fine. When he updated in store to 1.1.0., started getting the same message. "Activity Reader Not Responding".

When we asked the Nook manager, he said in a very curt tone that all Study Bibles were that way due to size. Luckily I had a second Nook Touch with 1.0.1 on it to show him that No, those issues weren't present with 1.0.1. He just walked off.

As you can see, my Nook experience has not been a good one. It's used alot of my time/energy and caused alot of stress (which makes my illness worse).
The most frustrating part, however, is that I was not able to give my 7 yr old son the NookSimpleTouch for his big Christmas present.
If I understand correctly you only have the problem when reading this large bible? Is this a B&N ebook? Or a sideloaded non-B&N ebook?
If it is a non-B&N ebook without DRM than try using Calibre to do an ePub to ePub conversion. This will improve the quality of the ePub file.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
RobChuck
RobChuck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Your situation sounds very similar to one that I encountered. I purchased a Nook STR in November primarily to read and use the Zondervan NIV Study Bible.

My Nook came with 1.0.1 installed, but I updated to 1.1.0 right away. My first purchase was the NIV Study Bible from B&N (the description at bn.com claims it still works with e-ink readers), and it never opened for me (the device always delivered a "not responding" dialog).

I spent nearly 12 hours with customer/tech support during 8 phone calls and 2 store visits to learn that the file is too complex for the STR and was issued a refund. (They would not issue one at first, because their system showed that the book was successfully downloaded onto my device.) I also tried side-loading the file and also stripped out the DRM and side-loaded the book with the same results.

I then purchased the basic NIV Bible which works well, but takes nearly 3 minutes from the launch of the title until I am able to read it. I also have a few other reference books with quite a few links, so perhaps there is not enough processing power or memory to handle large amounts of links on the STR.

I too would be curious if others have encountered similar issues on STR devices with 1.1.0.
RobChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
VineGal
Enthusiast

[]If I understand correctly you only have the problem when reading this large bible? Is this a B&N ebook? Or a sideloaded non-B&N ebook?
If it is a non-B&N ebook without DRM than try using Calibre to do an ePub to ePub conversion. This will improve the quality of the ePub file.[/QUOTE]

This is Bible purchased thru to BN.com website

I purchased originally when only had Nook For PC

It opened great, no wait or lags when my Nook Touch was v1.0.1

This error only started after auto upgrade to 1.1.0

Yes it is a large file about 3 mb

But BN explanation that this file is too big for the Nook Touch doesnt make sens
e since I was able to open withno issues using v1.0.1 It only started after 1.1.0 update
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
VineGal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobChuck View Post
Your situation sounds very similar to one that I encountered. I purchased a Nook STR in November primarily to read and use the Zondervan NIV Study Bible.

My Nook came with 1.0.1 installed, but I updated to 1.1.0 right away. My first purchase was the NIV Study Bible from B&N (the description at bn.com claims it still works with e-ink readers), and it never opened for me (the device always delivered a "not responding" dialog).

I spent nearly 12 hours with customer/tech support during 8 phone calls and 2 store visits to learn that the file is too complex for the STR and was issued a refund. (They would not issue one at first, because their system showed that the book was successfully downloaded onto my device.) I also tried side-loading the file and also stripped out the DRM and side-loaded the book with the same results.

I then purchased the basic NIV Bible which works well, but takes nearly 3 minutes from the launch of the title until I am able to read it. I also have a few other reference books with quite a few links, so perhaps there is not enough processing power or memory to handle large amounts of links on the STR.

I too would be curious if others have encountered similar issues on STR devices with 1.1.0.

Its good to know someone else experienced this. My Bible was Zondervan as well.

Im really thinking this has to do with the 1.1.0 update
I was able to open it without any lag when I had the 1.0.1 verion
(Same thing happened on 2 different Nook Touch devices)

Does anyone know if in fact this is a 1.1.0 issue?
If so any suggestions on a workaround.
If not then is my only option to return the Nook Touch and get refund?

Ive had responses jist to leave Wifi off and stay at v1.0.1
But that seems risky. I have a couple of Nook devices so I have to use Wifi to sync notes etc

So the 1.1.0 update would probably catch up to me?Does anyone know of this os a 1.1.0 issue?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Is there any possibility to load up the v1.0.1 firmware on to the device? I doubt BN has it available through their website anymore, but maybe you can find it on another site to download?

v1.1 works fine for me, though I am I don't have any large reference books or bibles on it so I haven't tested it with any truely lengthy files (longest book I have on it is roughly 800 pages with the 2nd smallest font size and file size wise the largest is around 1.4MB).

I do have v1.1 zip file archived on my computer in case any future firmware updates break it. Hopefully it will allow falling back on older firmware if you load it on to the device without giving an "out of date" firmware error or something similar. I do occasionally load up stuff over wireless for new purchases, but if a firmware were to break the device and I could fall back on an older one, I can load everything up over the wire like I have to do with sideloaded content anyway.

Sorry that I can't be more help with getting v1.1 to work correctly, but see if there is anyway to fall back to v1.0.1 and then keep wireless disabled (it would be nice if they didn't force update to updated versions of firmware. I have a seagate FAT+ media player, and the latest version of the firmware breaks it as opening a folder goes from roughly 20 seconds to index/view the folder in the currently loaded version to about 4-5 minutes in the new version for a folder with about 300-400 files in it. Thankfully it doesn't force the update, but the home screen constantly saying "NEW FIRMWARE AVAILABLE" gets a little old, and hitting the wrong button on the remote on the home screen autoupdates. Thankfully falling back on the old version of the firmware is relatively painless on it. Which I have had to do twice (once because the new version "broke it" a second time because my son hit the button and updated it by accident (he is only 4)).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
spinee
spinee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've seen the same behavior with 1.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineGal View Post

I originally bought the Nook Simple Touch to replace a print Study Bible. The print version was quite a large book (about 1500pp print) and was heavy to carry around. Plus, I liked being able to bookmark/highlight the ebook version (as we skip around quite a bit in class).
i'm currently reading a largish (1500pp) book as well, and am seeing similar behavior even with the old firmware. the book has hundreds of endnotes, as well as dozens of endnotes to the endnotes. occasionally when jumping back and forth between the various levels of notes or searching for a particular phrase, i will see this message.

i suspect it's just a safety measure to allow you to get out of a potential infinite-waiting situation when the nook believes it's taken too long for a task to complete. in each case, i have told it to wait and it comes back within a minute.

it sounds like possibly 1.1.0 uses a little more of the processor's horsepower so you might be seeing this more frequently than i. i haven't updated my firmware to 1.1.0 due to the reported problem with reverting to page 1 in a book, and if this is a further problem i think i'll just skip this version entirely. i hope another update is in the works to fix these problems, but the original is perfectly acceptable until then.
spinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Only time I have seen any reverting to page 1 in a book seems to stem from two things.

I've noticed it a couple of times in books on the SD card, but I am not sure of the behavior on that one.

With other books I am 100% positive the only time it has ever happened has been when I was IN the book and connected my nook to my computer over USB. The times I went to the home screen first it never went back to page 1. For the books on the SD card, that might have been why it did it, but I haven't read a book from the SD card in awhile...so it could have occured when the nook was on another screen or a reboot or something that caused the reset to page 1.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote