Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblemumble View Post
I thought that the kindle 2 had a better screen than original???
The K2 has exactly the same 6" Vizplex screen as the K1 and the 505. The difference is the screen controller driving the screen and the software driving the controller.Amazon could make the letters a bit darker if they want. It's a software issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #32
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Amazon customer service has acknowledged this issue in this thread

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Please-...&cdSort=oldest
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #33
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I just got the 2.01 update via whispernet at the text appears darker. Before when I did the Alt G refresh there was a noticeable difference, now when I do the Alt G refresh I can discern no difference at all.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #34
Ian
Ian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi-

I just got 2.0.1 but sadly notice no difference in the standard text "weight." I still notice the text get visibly darker when I hit alt-g.

-Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #35
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have read some of the amazon forums and some see a difference and some don't. Before the update I could see a difference between my 505 and the Kindle, now I do not.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #36
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The weight hasn't changed, but I think the background may be a shade lighter in 2.0.1.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The weight hasn't changed, but I think the background may be a shade lighter in 2.0.1.
I can't imagine how that could be. The background of the kindle is the screen. They can't change the physical properties of the screen itself.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #38
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I suppose you *could* draw the whole screen with the lightest level of greyscale... but that does seem wasteful, doesn't it? I have no idea. A couple of people think they notice a difference and many don't; maybe it's just our imaginations.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #39
josgood
josgood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
The Kindle 2 is my first reader so I don't have any thing to compare it to. I must say I am a bit underwhelmed with the screen contrast. I was expecting much better. If this can be fixed with a firmware update I hope they do it soon! Jack
josgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Well, I suppose you *could* draw the whole screen with the lightest level of greyscale... but that does seem wasteful, doesn't it? I have no idea. A couple of people think they notice a difference and many don't; maybe it's just our imaginations.
It could be that they made the font a bit heavier. Which would provide more of a contrast due to darkening the foreground rather than lightening the background.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Amazon sent me another Kindle also. The contrast is slightly improved, but still not as good as my sony. Where do I download this firmware update? (never mind I found it) If the contrast doesn't improve I'm going to have to return it. I'm squinting when I read. For a 300 plus device this is unacceptable.

Last edited by m42; 03-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur

Why don't you just up the front size?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #43
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
I did. The contrast was very bad in all lighting. It looks like soggy newspaper or something. They were quick to give me a new one. But the pics are lovely.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
elainevdw
elainevdw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Man, I wonder if I should call customer service about my K2? The contrast is really bugging me. I increased the font size, but it's still only really comfortable to read in full sunlight. Which is odd, because normally reading paper items in full sunlight hurts my eyes.

I thought maybe it was a product of the Kindle being so white, that it made the e-paper look greyer.

I was thinking about this the other day -- I thoroughly love my Kindle after only a week of using it ... but the one thing that would get me to give it up for something else would be substantially better contrast.

As far as bold. They shouldn't use a darker color for bold, they should increase the font weight. Geez.
elainevdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #45
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I personally think that if we had the ability to change fonts on the Kindle, this would be a non-issue. I like a heavier font--not bold, but a bit heavier than the font they used for my Kindle 1.

If they made the font a bit lighter for Kindle 2, then I can see why there are so many complaints...

I love my Kindle 1, but not happy with the font.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote