Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
1st Generation to Glowlight

I have the 1st Generation Nook and have loved it ever since I bought it. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Glowlight. Have you made the jump? Did you think it was worth it? Should I just stick to what I have. When I read at night with my current nook I read by a desk lamp. Is the screen that much more vivid?
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I did have a first generation nook and now have a Kindle PW, so not exactly the upgrade you're looking at. But, I would definitely upgrade if I were you...you'll find the new glowlight to be much lighter and smaller (no LCD screen)--which would be enough of a reason to upgrade for me. I also appreciate the touchscreen interface of my KPW (glowlight is similar). Much easier for navigating menus and using the dictionary just takes a tap on the word to look up--with the original nook looking up a word is very cumbersome (IMO)--having to use the LCD screen and arrows was cumbersome at best. Also, navigating within a book is much easier on the new touch screens--using the Table of Contents on the Original Nook to find something could be almost impossible if there are a lot of items in the TOC.

Regarding the light--Even though I often still use an external night light when I read on the KPW, I appreciate the fact that I don't need to. One thing about my original Nook is the contrast is very good on it (compared to some of the other models in the same era)--but the newer devices have even better contrast.

Edited to add--One thing to be aware of on the new Nook Glowlights, they've removed the MicroSD slot and limit the non-B&N content to 500mb. Since I side load a lot of books on my readers, this prevented me from considering the new Glowlight as an option for me.

Last edited by dordale; 05-21-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add info about memory size on glowlight
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
ereaderSam
Connoisseur

I have noticed the KPW2 also. It looks very appealing. I heard there was 3rd generation coming out soon, so I thought I might wait for it instead. The only issue I had was that I was already in the Nook ecosystem. I do not have that many ebooks so it would not be a total loss. I could just keep them both.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
ereaderSam
Connoisseur

dordale
Did you get special offers with your KPW, if you did how annoying is it?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderSam View Post
I have noticed the KPW2 also. It looks very appealing. I heard there was 3rd generation coming out soon, so I thought I might wait for it instead. The only issue I had was that I was already in the Nook ecosystem. I do not have that many ebooks so it would not be a total loss. I could just keep them both.
With Calibre and the Apprentice Alf add-ons, you can move books back and forth between whatever eReaders you want. Convert ePub to .mobi or AZW3 and vice versa. I've got Kindles, a Nook, and a Sony and this freedom to use what I want, when I want, is very nice.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
dordale
I'm not not dordale, but I hardly notice the special offers. But, if they should become too big of a nuisance, you can pay $20 and have them shut off.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have noticed the KPW2 also. It looks very appealing. I heard there was 3rd generation coming out soon, so I thought I might wait for it instead.
I've no idea where you heard that, but there's absolutely no evidence to back it up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've no idea where you heard that, but there's absolutely no evidence to back it up.
Probably read it on these forums...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
ereaderSam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Probably read it on these forums...
I did read it here somewhere.

Thanks for all of your replies!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
dordale
I ordered my KPW2 with special offers, but later paid Amazon the $20 to remove them. It really isn't a big deal, but I have a Smart Cover and like opening my kindle directly to the book. I'm reading. With the special offer you first have to swipe to remove the ad.

I second rcentros's suggestion--order with special offers and see how you feel about them. It's a simple procedure to get Amazon to remove them if you decide you want to.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote