Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #601
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
Would this be the right thread to ask about the PW2014/PW2?

Any word on v. 5.4?
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #602
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallums View Post
Would this be the right thread to ask about the PW2014/PW2?

Any word on v. 5.4?
Probably not.

Ah, we are calling the 2013 release of the "Kindle Paperwhite Generation 2" (Amazon's term, today) a pw2.

What sort of word on version 5.4?

Currently, you have to use the serial port to install the Mobileread developer's certificate (A.K.A: the device Jailbreak).
There is a thread here for that work.

There are release candidates for an updated KindleTool (the packager) and some of the popular packages.
Those things are being tested now.

Currently, there is only one Jailbroken Kpw2.
If you want to help out (and are willing to disassemble your Kpw2) there are people on the #kindle-dev IRC channel that will help you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #603
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Probably not.

Ah, we are calling the 2013 release of the "Kindle Paperwhite Generation 2" (Amazon's term, today) a pw2.

What sort of word on version 5.4?

Currently, you have to use the serial port to install the Mobileread developer's certificate (A.K.A: the device Jailbreak).
There is a thread here for that work.

There are release candidates for an updated KindleTool (the packager) and some of the popular packages.

If you want to help out (and are willing to disassemble your Kpw2) there are people on the #kindle-dev IRC channel that will help you.

Thank you. I don't possess a PW2 yet, so can't help yet. I will keep scanning mobileread for now, will see if I can do more after the first week in November, after I receive my KPW2-3G.
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #604
pantofola
pantofola began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Jailbreak for Kpw2

Quote:

Any news on a Jailbreak for Kpw2? The jailbreak for Kpw1 woulnd't work?

Thanks!
pantofola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #605
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantofola View Post
Any news on a Jailbreak for Kpw2? The jailbreak for Kpw1 woulnd't work?

Thanks!
Not yet.

We will probably mention it on this site when it does happen (if ever).
Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #606
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
We will probably mention it on this site when it does happen (if ever).
And that is exactly why I decided to follow this thread. Hopefully the mention will be made here (on this thread), as keeping up with the site as a whole is much more difficult.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #607
seamusmcaffrey
seamusmcaffrey began at the beginning.

I've installed this jailbreak a few times successfully and enjoyed the benefits of doing so... but I keep losing the JB when amazon sends an OTA update of some kind (at least I think that's what's happening).

When I've done this, I just revert to an older firmware version that works, install the jailbreak and screensaver hacks, then continue on my way. I don't bother manually updating to a new version and reinstalling the rescue pack and developer cert- is that the step that I am missing? Do I need to manually update and restore those two items so that when amazon updates I don't lose the JB? I know that the JB is supposed to maintain through any updates anyways, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
seamusmcaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #608
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcaffrey View Post
I've installed this jailbreak a few times successfully and enjoyed the benefits of doing so... but I keep losing the JB when amazon sends an OTA update of some kind (at least I think that's what's happening).

When I've done this, I just revert to an older firmware version that works, install the jailbreak and screensaver hacks, then continue on my way. I don't bother manually updating to a new version and reinstalling the rescue pack and developer cert- is that the step that I am missing? Do I need to manually update and restore those two items so that when amazon updates I don't lose the JB? I know that the JB is supposed to maintain through any updates anyways, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Your missing the "Backdoor Lock" to prevent Amazon from updating your Kindle over the air.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205666
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #609
seamusmcaffrey
seamusmcaffrey began at the beginning.

Quote:
Your missing the "Backdoor Lock" to prevent Amazon from updating your Kindle over the air.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205666
OK! Thanks, I will try that. Hopefully this time it sticks.
seamusmcaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #610
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Why do I get this: **jailbreak**, when I restart my PW? I'm pretty sure the jailbreak on my device got deleted after one of the software updates and yet I still get it.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #611
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gazella: That's the bridge. You should be getting it after a software update only.

If you get it on *every* boot, there's something wonky going on.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #612
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gazella: That's the bridge. You should be getting it after a software update only.

If you get it on *every* boot, there's something wonky going on.
My bad. You're right, I get it after software updates, just updated to 5.3.9. Does that mean the jailbreak is still active?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #613
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Gazella: The device jailbreak, yes. (Nearly) Everything else, you'll have to reinstall.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #614
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gazella: The device jailbreak, yes. (Nearly) Everything else, you'll have to reinstall.
How do I fully remove the jailbreak? With a reset?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #615
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Gazella: After a (>= 5.3.x) software update, a factory reset should be enough, yes.