Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
If you find you are bothered by fingerprints, you can always pick up a touch screen stylus on amazon for $0.99. Some ereaders (my Sony PRS-350 for example), already come with an attached stylus. Personally, I've never had a problem with fingerprints. I don't use the stylus, but I do clean the touch screen, (or even my non-touch screens), about once a week.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But backlit LCD screens don't generally show fingerprints when the light is on. My iPad looks dreadful when it's switched off - one solid mass of fingerprints - but they don't show up at all when you're using it.
I find that a screen protector helps a lot with fingerprints. I have a clear one on my nookcolor and nook tablet; they don't retain nearly as many fingerprints, and they're easier to clean. Also, the screen becomes less "sticky" so it is easier to scroll and swipe.

For my eInk devices, I have no issues with fingerprints, though I only touch the screen to unlock or to look up words in the dictionary, I use the buttons to turn pages.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But backlit LCD screens don't generally show fingerprints when the light is on. My iPad looks dreadful when it's switched off - one solid mass of fingerprints - but they don't show up at all when you're using it.
Same thing with my Acer tablets. The fingerprints look awful when the screen's off, but I don't even notice them when the screen is on. When I first got the tabs, I wiped them off constantly. I got over that habit quickly.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Zero problems on my NST.

More issues with hairs, small dust motes, etc getting trapped around the edge of the screen, though so far this hasn't effected performance.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is only one way to avert this issue, to keep your hands clean at all times. Especially just before touching your touchscreen device. That's what I do and it works for me.

Whenever I go to a store and see a touchscreen device on display for people to try it and I see how absolutely disgusting the screen is, I feel like having a heart attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For those of us who have a touch reader, a Nook Simple Touch, Amazon Kindle Paperwhite or touch or a Kobo Touch or any other touch reader that I have not named already - how bad has the problem of finger prints on the screen been?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I have hyperhydrosis - my hands and feet sweat even when I'm in 30 degree weather. My Nook Tablet gets so full of fingerprints that they show up even when the back-lit screen is on. I bought some cheap screen protectors off ebay and the fingerprints still show up, but it takes a lot longer.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry to hear that, it must be really annoying when using a touch screen device. Have you tried using gloves ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I have hyperhydrosis - my hands and feet sweat even when I'm in 30 degree weather. My Nook Tablet gets so full of fingerprints that they show up even when the back-lit screen is on. I bought some cheap screen protectors off ebay and the fingerprints still show up, but it takes a lot longer.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For those of us who have a touch reader, a Nook Simple Touch, Amazon Kindle Paperwhite or touch or a Kobo Touch or any other touch reader that I have not named already - how bad has the problem of finger prints on the screen been?
I have the Sony PRS-T1 and I don't notice a problem with fingerprints. I do clean it regularly because it gathers bits of dust and whatnot.

What drives me crazy is the shiny bezel, which attracts fingerprints like crazy. (unlike a lot of people, the shinyness of the bezel doesn't bother my eyes)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I find that a screen protector helps a lot with fingerprints. I have a clear one on my nookcolor and nook tablet; they don't retain nearly as many fingerprints, and they're easier to clean. Also, the screen becomes less "sticky" so it is easier to scroll and swipe.
At first with my NT I didn't use a screen protector. (One time an ebook I was reading kept skippin pages, etc. I cleaned the screen really well. Fixed the problem.)
Now with the protector sometimes the whole bottom third will have a finger strip smuge. Doesn't bother me while I am reading but eventually I clean it.

If I am eating I try not to use that hand to turn pages.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Was wondering if those little 'ruberized' finger tips used in an office or new eraser on end of pencil would work on turning pages?
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltonsfancy View Post
Was wondering if those little 'ruberized' finger tips used in an office or new eraser on end of pencil would work on turning pages?
That is an interesting question. It might work. Do you have one? I don't think I have any in my supplies.

The stylus is rubber and the aluminum is suppose to be the conductor. I have used cotton gloves to turn pages and it works great, but no good on detail clicks.

Fingerprints bug me on the screen. Most noticeable on LCD screens.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Sorry to hear that, it must be really annoying when using a touch screen device. Have you tried using gloves ?
I just ordered a new Nook HD+. I also ordered a cheap cover from ebay (I can't see paying $40-$50 for a fabric or plastic covered cardboard cover from B&N) and I ordered a stylus to go with it. We'll see how well the stylus works. There's a place on the cover to stow the stylus.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I was licking butter off my fingers from my popcorn bowl last nite while reading and got 1 fingerprint on my KPW..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I find that a screen protector helps a lot with fingerprints.
Use bacon grease. Just smear a little bit on the screen and let the dog lick it off.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #30
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Glass and fingers are not comparable, at all! You will have and see finger prints on any surface you touch!

This is a fact of life/living!

Other than a surface that is not smooth you will see fingerprints (depending on the angle of the light reflecting into your eyes)

So deal with it!!

Facts of life are so and inviolable!

Just my dos centavos!

Perfection and reality are never destined to agree!

Sorry for busting some bubbles of thought! Or not!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-04-2012 at 07:22 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote