Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I believe iriver to be a failing company. Their revenue has dropped significantly over the last several years. I don't think they have the manpower to keep up with their email traffic. I wrote the president of North american operations directly and eventually got a response that I have posted under the "New firmware coming for US Story HD Wi-Fi" thread. that was a month ago. as i told the president, customer service rules, and it's a shame what has happened at iriver. They have elegant designs with lousy software. I don't believe they have the capital to fix it.

Last edited by CJJ; 02-12-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: sp
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
it's a shame what has happened at iriver. They have elegant designs with lousy software.
I would certainly agree, CJJ.

Though they seem to have some level of clout, at least. They announced a joint venture with LG - what, a year ago? - but I'm not sure what's come of it. Except perhaps the Story HD - does LG have a hand in that? And now the apparent partnership with Google Books - does Google see potential in iRiver, or is it hard up for hardware partners to support its start-up bookstore, or does iRiver simply pay Google a licensing fee to give its hardware perceived added value? I wonder. (One thing that attracted me to iRiver in the first place was that it wasn't leashed to a specific vendor, but that was my own bias. All the leading ereader hardware is now either tied to or directly sold by an ebook vendor - including the Kobo that I've just bought. )
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Except perhaps the Story HD - does LG have a hand in that?
Yes, the 768x1024 screen is by LG.

Not sure if they are still cooperating / doing anything else beyond that.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I know LG makes the display for the Story HD. I think Google's support for the Story HD ended before it was even released. They set up the initial info page and it has been the same since.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The book store is still Google's, isn't it?

If there ever was a close cooperation between iriver and Google I think they'd be using Android rather than that self baked piece of something
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
CJJ
Zealot

Yes it is and why there are three Google book sites is beyond me (Google Books, Google ebookstore, Android Books). Google being Google, I guess.

But other than the initial press release and this:

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/ereader.html

Google has done nothing to promote their relationship with iriver.