Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Loken
Loken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3--disabling WiFi/3G

Afternoon,

New here but have been trolling for months (:

I've a slightly odd ball question..

Is it possible to entirely remove/disable 3G/WiFi on a Kindle? I know you can turn it on and off via the Menu button, but I was wondering if it could be removed completely, without being able to be turned back on by accident. I'm assuming it will involve messing around with the source code and jail breaking of some kind.

Any insight or if it's at all possible would be greatly appreciated!
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
AliBaba77
AliBaba77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Looking for the same thing here. I suppose you never figured this out, huh?
AliBaba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
mpetersen3
Enthusiast
mpetersen3 began at the beginning.

What is the goal for you in achieving this? I can suggest ways to turn it off depending on what your motives are?
mpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
open the back cover and remove these units
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
I suppose the easiest way would be to unload the 3g/wifi drivers. What model specifically?
You will need to jailbreak.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
samineru
samineru began at the beginning.

I don't actually need this myself, but imagine someone would like to gift a kindle to a young child, and did not want to give them internet access with it.
samineru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samineru View Post
I don't actually need this myself, but imagine someone would like to gift a kindle to a young child, and did not want to give them internet access with it.
Get a WiFi only Kindle, and make sure that you have a security key on your WiFi (as of course you should have anyway).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
open the back cover and remove these units
That'll work for 3G, but WiFi is built into the motherboard, I'm afraid.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
That'll work for 3G, but WiFi is built into the motherboard, I'm afraid.
At least in my neighborhood, unencrypted WiFi is becoming a rarity. I live in an attached house, and a quick check shows all three signals, including my own, are secured.

And what if there is an unencrypted signal? One could figure out whose it is, and, in a neighborly way, volunteer to help them keep others from stealing their bandwidth.

Realistically, most people of any age are unlikely to use an eInk browser to access disturbing graphic content. Instead the child is going to do it on a tablet, PC or Mac when at a friend's house.

I hope this isn't making a value judgment about how other people raise their children. I'm just saying that a WiFi Kindle, with WiFi turned off and password protected, is about as child-proofed as anything can be nowadays.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Have you ever used the Kindle browser? By the time a kid managed to load a site with R rated material, he'd be old enough to view it. And I don't think anyone has ever been actually harmed by the written word.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
AliBaba77
AliBaba77 began at the beginning.

Sorry for being late to reply. I understand that the Kindle Browser isn't that great but the reason for disabling the WiFi is that I do not want my 9 year old daughter (who reads anything and EVERYTHING she can get her hands on) to access inappropriate literature or even reference material that may be a little more than she is ready for. Not concerned about images as much as I am literature.

This child is continuously seeking for new material and she soaks new information up like I sponge. I would like to be able to approve that information before she soaks it up.

WiFi isn't an issue at home. The problem is that WiFi is readily available at any McDonalds, neighbors' signals, and various different places.

I have been researching this on other sites as well and so far no one has come up with a method of disabling WiFi. I understand it's counterintuitive to what one would expect/want from their Kindle so I'm sure there's little, if any, demand for such a mod.

At this point, I've done everything I can possibly do to prevent access to undesired material. All I can do now is monitor regularly, which any decent parent should do anyhow, and hope that she doesn't stumble upon anything undesirable.

If someone does come up with something I would love to hear about it and give it a spin. She has a $79 basic Kindle 4.

Thanks so much for the replies!!!

AliBaba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I just realized - you could try taking the back cover off and removing the wifi antenna. That may or may not work, but in my experience it's near impossible to get a wifi signal on something without antennae unless it's a couple feet from the router.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This can be done in software a number of different ways. Changing the IP address or gateway, downing the wlan interface, preventing the wifi driver from loading (or unloading it later).

The best way would be to change the firewall settings to prevent wifi traffic from getting in or out (iptables). Read about how iptables works.

If you disable wifi by learning how iptables works, then you will know how to enable when you want to. If somebody gives you a quick fix, then how will you turn it on when you need it? Give a man a fish or teach him to fish? That is why linux geeks are so fond of answering many questions with RTFM -- it means it would be much better for you to go learn it before messing with it...

Of course, if your daughter becomes a linux geek herself, you should disable wifi multiple ways besides iptables to delay when she "hacks" it back on.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-06-2012 at 03:57 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
mommy
mommy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Geek master: It would be a very long time before I could learn enough Linux to be able to do this. And as you said, a child would probably soon be able to "fix" the wifi. But I'd be willing to pay for a program or application that can do this for me. I'm sure there are other parents who if they knew all that a curious kid could do with a Kindle and free wifi access they too would pay for a disabled device, or a way to password the device so that only the parent could access wifi if needed.

I've taken away the cell phone and the laptop, next to go will the be the well loved Kindle 3 until I can solve this problem.
mommy is offline   Reply With Quote